Captioning Epiphanies!

Cousin Vinny

Reaction score
I think this'll be an interesting topic and I'm sure I'm not feeling alone when it comes to epiphanies that I've experienced in watching TV/movies for the first time in captioning. [This was also posted earlier in another forum.]

A bit of background; I kinda grew up in the Dark Ages, the era of captioning started in 1980 and really didn't take off until a decade later. I saw a lot of TV and movie programming that I really didn't understand fully.

Now, thanks to the magic of cable programming and DVD's, I am able to watch and reclaim my 'lost youth' of sorts. Along the way, I have received a couple of jarring surprises and ever wonder, how did that ever happen?!?

Here's a couple of captioning epiphanies, just to get the ball rolling:
All in the Family: I remember this show starring Archie Bunker and his 'dingbat' wife. I haven't reached ten years old, so I really didn't understand what this show was all about, except that it was a 'family' sitcom.

Fast forward 30 years later and watching a special run of the very first six episodes, I decided to tune into the first episode. After 30 minutes later, my jaw was still open and I couldn't believe what I was reading! A major network (CBS, I think?) actually condoned this kind of programming?!?

Happy Days: For a long time, the words, 'Chachi' bothered me. I saw it scribbled somewhere, 'Joanie loves Chachi' and I'm like, "What kind of a name is 'Chachi'?" The uniqueness of the name is like a bad catchy song that just won't leave your head. Twenty years later, and I'm watching the Happy Days Reunion on TV and like a bolt of lightning, it struck me. Duh. Now, I have been freed from the Chachi curse and can move on with my life, stuck onto the next bad song.

Papa Don't Preach: I remembered this Madonna music video and for some reason, I liked this one out of her music video lineup at the time. She seemed to be serious about some sort of issue and seemed to be a genuine music video rather than a mindless body-gyrating with lace lingerie experience. Duh! 10-15 years later, I find out it's about something entirely different, an issue that is still contentiously debated all across America.

Turning Japanese: I remember watching Beverly Hills Ninja, a low brow movie starring Chris Farley. Then, the song, 'Turning Japanese', popped into as a background music. At first, the music lyrics didn't jump out at me as seemingly odd; It was a ninja movie, after all! The movie was captioned.

Then came 'One Hit Wonders' on VH1, narrated by William Shatner. As it were, 'Turning Japanese' made the list and there was a none too subtle explanation about the true meaning of the song. My eyes popped wide open and now I know all too well that this song fit in perfectly in that Chris Farley movie I've viewed a few years ago!

For those who still didn't get the meaning behind the Turning Japanese song, send me a private message. This is a family forum, after all! :) Goes to show you that music videos that were aired in the 1980's and became one-hit wonders never really found their way among Deaf people in terms of lingo and lexicon.

So, what's yours? Come on, 'fess up! :type:

Good thread!

I was exactly in the same shoes as you were! I would see my parents roar out with laughters while watching shows such as "All in the Family", "Sanford and Son", and "The Jeffersons". I have never understood why these shows were really so funny because back then these shows were not captioned. But now I finally got to watch these shows after they got to be captioned. Of course I roared out some laugters. Finally I got to understand why my parents thought these shows were so funny :)

Kudos to whoever invented closed captions :thumb:

Eyeth said:
Turning Japanese: I remember watching Beverly Hills Ninja, a low brow movie starring Chris Farley. Then, the song, 'Turning Japanese', popped into as a background music. At first, the music lyrics didn't jump out at me as seemingly odd; It was a ninja movie, after all! The movie was captioned.

Then came 'One Hit Wonders' on VH1, narrated by William Shatner. As it were, 'Turning Japanese' made the list and there was a none too subtle explanation about the true meaning of the song. My eyes popped wide open and now I know all too well that this song fit in perfectly in that Chris Farley movie I've viewed a few years ago!

For those who still didn't get the meaning behind the Turning Japanese song, send me a private message. This is a family forum, after all! :) Goes to show you that music videos that were aired in the 1980's and became one-hit wonders never really found their way among Deaf people in terms of lingo and lexicon.

:confused: about Turning Japansese song....

Turning Japanese - Vapors
I've got your picture
Of me and you
You wrote "I love you "
I love you too
I sit there staring and there's nothing else to do

Oh it's in color
Your hair is brown
Your eyes are hazel
And soft as clouds
I often kiss you when there's no one else around

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of you over myself
I asked the doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down and turning in and
turning 'round

I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think
so
Turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I really think so
so

I've got your picture, I've got your picture
I'd like a million of them over myself
I want the doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well
You've got me turning up and turning down and turning in and
turning 'round

so
so

No sex, no drugs, no wine, no women
No fun, no sin, no you, no wonder it's dark
Everyone around me is a total stranger
Everyone avoids me like a cyclone ranger
Everyone

That's why I'm turning Japanese I think I'm turning Japanese I
really think so
so

(think so think so think so)

Any of you gets an idea? Go to link.

Hey Old Dude,

I did not know about that until you brought up a silly title to my attention. AD, too. Keep it up...

gnulinuxman said:
What the heck kind of name is "Chachi"?! :confused:
It's a nickname for "Charles Arcola".

Interpretrator said:
I'm a little frightened that you know that.
:D

p.s.
I grew up with a lot of Italian kids with nicknames like Tucci, Pez, Buto, Telli, Bochi, etc.

Back