New "MSSD/Bilingual High School" to comprise deaf, HOH, & hearing students

Status
Not open for further replies.
huh, please clarify

You asked about the background of the student population at mssd as a factor in test scores. You then cited close knowledge of those who attended and said you "lived it": what do you know of the student demographics? 80-95% recently transferred from mainstream?

Do you plan to enroll your daughter at MSSD?

Given these choices, MSSD without a second thought. You're failing to realize that I hang out with several MSSDers. My ex was a MSSDer. The list goes on. I don't follow the "research". Feel free to if you wish.

I know the results, I live in it.

I know many MSSDers who are doing just find now. Statistics mean shit.

Why are you assuming that all deaf kids who are mainstreamed go through hell? I am very happy with my education. I know some people who were mainstreamed and wish they had gone to a Deaf school, but that certainly isn't universal.

You had ASL at home, didnt you. Lucky you.

You asked about the background of the student population at mssd as a factor in test scores. You then cited close knowledge of those who attended and said you "lived it": what do you know of the student demographics? 80-95% recently transferred from mainstream?

what do you want to know? I'm not clear...

I know many MSSDers who are doing just find now. Statistics mean shit.

Can't pro-AV and mainstreamers say the same thing? "So what if 80% of the kids fail, I know X number of deaf kids who did AV and turned out great."

Can't pro-AV and mainstreamers say the same thing? "So what if 80% of the kids fail, I know X number of deaf kids who did AV and turned out great."

Because it is a fact that ASL doesnt put deaf children at risks for language delays like oralism does. Also, I was a product of the oral-only philosophy. Since you had ASL growing up, you really have no idea what it is like to be restricted from communication and language 24/7.

Speaking from personal experience and then working with many deaf children who ended up with language delays and deficits from that philosophy itself.

Deaf children should have BOTH not just only AVT or oral only.

Because it is a fact that ASL doesnt put deaf children at risks for language delays like oralism does. Also, I was a product of the oral-only philosophy. Since you had ASL growing up, you really have no idea what it is like to be restricted from communication and language 24/7.

Speaking from personal experience and then working with many deaf children who ended up with language delays and deficits from that philosophy itself.

Deaf children should have BOTH not just only AVT or oral only.

I am just pointing out that you are making the same argument for Deaf schools that they make for oralism. If the truth is that Deaf schools are failing 80% of our kids something has to change.

But what Shel is saying is that stats mean squat on many occasions. Even the hearing parents (who love to use stats) say the same thing.

I am just pointing out that you are making the same argument for Deaf schools that they make for oralism. If the truth is that Deaf schools are failing 80% of our kids something has to change.

Yea, if the kids would stop going to mainstreaming programs and start out at the Deaf schools instead of going there later on after falling behind. You are falling into the stereotype of Deaf schools saying that they are the ones who are failing the students without really digging deeper into the reasons why.

It is your perogative if you hate Deaf schools. I have worked in many different ones and what I have seen has impressed me and I wish I had gone to one growing up. I used to hate them just like you did..used to think the same as you until I saw reality.

Yup. Stats can mean total squat at this point.

According to stats, I was an oral success but my life was shit because of it.

Me too. I wasn't what you would consider an oral success because I had ASL growing up, but school life was absolute shit. So I don't actually know what you would call me.

Me too. I wasn't what you would consider an oral success because I had ASL growing up, but school life was absolute shit. So I don't actually know what you would call me.

Mainstreaming made your life shit?

People can love mainstream and glorify them all they want but that doesnt stop the fact that there are many many deaf children who have suffered from it. If they want to ignore that fact, nothing I can do about it.

Let me give you something to smell.

90% of the deaf population including yourself was mainstreamed.

Average reading level for the deaf is 5th grade level.

that is NOT the deaf school's fault.

What do we do?

Let me give you something to smell.

90% of the deaf population including yourself was mainstreamed.

Average reading level for the deaf is 5th grade level.

that is NOT the deaf school's fault.

What do we do?

:lol:

People can hate mainstream and knock it all they want but that doesnt stop the fact that there are many many deaf children who have benefited from it. If they want to ignore that fact, nothing I can do about it.

I think this is a legitimate question. If I end up with Deaf kids (which is perfectly possible :D) I wouldn't default send my children to a Deaf school. I would need to look into the academics as well as the social and language environment. There are Deaf schools that have good outcomes and some that are failure factories. I think it is a parent's responsibility to make sure that their child can read and write. And there is no reason that shouldn't be the case for deaf child, no matter what language they use.

Great post!!! You get it.

That is what it is really about: finding the best placement for your child that will allow them to grow academically and socially. For some, it may be a Deaf school, for others the mainstream and for others something else.

There is no one "best" way to raise and to educate any child, even a deaf child!

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back