Do you use interpreter for psychiatrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

95mainer

Reaction score
I need to see one for a depression problem and counseling for stuff like that but I'm curious, as a deaf person do you request an interpreter if you are going to a local psychiatrist? For me, I'm extremely uncomfortable with this because first of all, I don't tell anyone that I know personally that I have problems with things, so when I request an interpreter it might be a regular interpreter from this area... That would be very uncomfortable for me. What about you?

I used to have one years ago but that person can use sign language so I suggest you to find a person who can sign :) cuz if have a intepreter it wud be a conflict of interest u know? just saying...

interpreters are professionals and will not share your "issues" with another person.

Yes you should ask for an interpreter for the appointment or ask around if there is any one of them that deals with deaf patient that signs that accepts your insurance plan. If you're in a big city you shouldn't have a problem locating at least one but not many are accepting new patients.

I'm interested in this question as next year I will start training as a counsellor. I will work with hearing people too but eventually when my hearing gets bad enough I want to work with deaf people and I'm wondering how much of a market there would be for a counsellor who signs.

I would look around for a psychiatrist who signs but if that's impossible then by all means use an interpreter. It's the same as relay service operators on the phone. They're not allowed to repeat anything you say in front of them.

I used to have one years ago but that person can use sign language so I suggest you to find a person who can sign :) cuz if have a intepreter it wud be a conflict of interest u know? just saying...

That's exactly why I'm uncomfortable because it's conflict of interest and I would really like if less people know about it, including the interpreters.

interpreters are professionals and will not share your "issues" with another person.

Yes you should ask for an interpreter for the appointment or ask around if there is any one of them that deals with deaf patient that signs that accepts your insurance plan. If you're in a big city you shouldn't have a problem locating at least one but not many are accepting new patients.

Sharing my issues isn't my problem because I know they won't. The problem is conflict of interest and the idea of having more people than the physcharcist itself is very uncomfortable. I'm not in big city unfortunately.

That's exactly why I'm uncomfortable because it's conflict of interest and I would really like if less people know about it, including the interpreters.
You may not be comfortable with an interpreter, and it's totally up to you whether or not to use one. I respect that. However, using a professional interpreter is not considered a conflict of interest unless you have a direct relationship with the interpreter, such as being a family member.

If you do use an interpreter, you should ensure that it is one who is certified and specializes in mental health interpreting.

All interpreters are supposed to obey the ethics of confidentiality, and in medical settings they're often required to sign confidentiality agreements.

You may not be comfortable with an interpreter, and it's totally up to you whether or not to use one. I respect that. However, using a professional interpreter is not considered a conflict of interest unless you have a direct relationship with the interpreter, such as being a family member.

If you do use an interpreter, you should ensure that it is one who is certified and specializes in mental health interpreting.

All interpreters are supposed to obey the ethics of confidentiality, and in medical settings they're often required to sign confidentiality agreements.

I understand what you are saying but it's embarrassing for me to talk about my mental issues, already it's stressful enough with one psychiatrist

I understand what you are saying but it's embarrassing for me to talk about my mental issues, already it's stressful enough with one psychiatrist
I totally understand that.

Would you be more comfortable if the interpreter wasn't physically present? That is, using a remote video interpreter? That's another option.

Do you use an interpreter when going to your "family doctor"/dentist etc?

Does that generate "concern" in your mind?

Do you ask the other party to write out everything they say to you if interpreters unavailable?

Last edited:

Would you be more comfortable if the interpreter wasn't physically present? That is, using a remote video interpreter? That's another option.

Actually yes I would be much more comfortable if the interpreter isn't physically presented

Do you use an interpreter went going to your "family doctor"/dentist etc?

Does that generate "concern" in your mind?

Do you ask the other party to write out everything they say to you if interpreters unavailable?

Yes and where I live there's rarely any interpreter. Usually they have to drive two hours to where I have my appointments. Which brings up the concern, having an interpreter there who knows me a little more than any other interpreters. I don't want them to know my personal struggles or that I have problems you know?

I have never tried it but I have seen how they work. Sometimes they allow to get an interpreter from out of this area to come here by not knowing interpreter that well which is less awkward . The best thing is to tell the Psychiatrist to get an experienced interpreter with knowledge about it. Hope it helps you? I strongly suggest to talk with psychiatrist no matter what if it's embarrassing but healthy.

When I was your age. I did see Deaf psychiatrist who knows ASL and didn't feel comfortable a little. I know that's strange but I'll get use to it if I request again. Ha

Actually yes I would be much more comfortable if the interpreter isn't physically presented

Oh yes VRI become popular now. I'm sure that they should have VRI. It may help. That's a good idea .

it's really up to you if you want the interpreter or not (whether in person or by technology such as the VRI). I never used an interpreter when I went to counseling. It was just one-on-one, just me and the counselor or the psychiatrist, no issues with communication.

Typing to and fro with psychiatrist with the help of a tablet or whatever is out of the question?
or at least, if possible, if a doctor types his responses if the patient can speak?

Fuzzy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back