Walking while Deaf

I have a chip on my shoulder too but it did not stop me from almost getting jobbed while walking home. I was not afraid , I was tried and did not notice two guys following me. They didn't get a penny out of me , I would not stop yelling on the top of my lungs . I lost my footing and both guy took me by an arm , they got pissed of at me for not stopping yelling and said was going to kill me! So I started yelling for HELP even louder that when one guy punch me in the stomach then they both ran off. I think it has more to you being a man . At first I thought they helping me from falling so I knew I was not afraid.

Be gratefull they didnt know what they were doing..and were not dedicated.. two men,you could of easily been grounded, dragged and worse, its easiy to choke and strangle, a blood choke, you would be out in kess then 15 seconsds since your were jogging...., a punch to your chest would of easily left you with no air to yell.... They just werent dediicated thats all...
and that bieng very nice.
Your a very lucky women

True too, Sono... a "confident" person, shoulders back. whether a brisk walk or slow...shows "no fear"...I'm female but I walk in a confident manner. And when strangers do wave or say "hello", I just keep walking. Deafies also need to be more alert to their surroundings.

Great story DeafDucky!
&rockin'robin this quote gets at the issue I had, apparently in hearing culture people get scared or pissed off when you don't respond either cause you don't hear/see them or know that it's more trouble than it's worth to try to discriminate every situation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using AllDeaf App mobile app

Lols hoichi, it's legal in my state in 4 days. Btw, I'm a guy, I just had a frustrating experience where I couldn't understand the other side or where they were coming from, no fears, no trouble actually walking (besides balance issues), good advice sonicativo and others, and I appreciate the humor from others. Thankfully I have never had an issue with anybody that did anything other than annoy me or confuse me temporarily.

Legal or not.....
Burn em if u got em......

Someone follows martial arts.

I know that taking some self-defense martial arts classes has helped me a lot...I'm not gifted athletically....I'm a small person at 105#, born very premature and naturally introverted ...I took some karate in middle school, have taken women's self defense-type classes, a little Krav Maga, took a intro/self defense seminar of Systema...have done Tai Chi with various people including martial arts guy and with another guy who does swords. Just taking these classes has helped my confidence.

I have a chip on my shoulder too but it did not stop me from almost getting jobbed while walking home. I was not afraid , I was tried and did not notice two guys following me. They didn't get a penny out of me , I would not stop yelling on the top of my lungs . I lost my footing and both guy took me by an arm , they got pissed of at me for not stopping yelling and said was going to kill me! So I started yelling for HELP even louder that when one guy punch me in the stomach then they both ran off. I think it has more to you being a man . At first I thought they helping me from falling so I knew I was not afraid.

Wow, wdys, that was a terrible experience for you. Sorry that happened. You are lucky you weren't hurt worse or even killed.

I don't believe a woman should ever walk alone at night!

Well, being MMA and my daughter being a black belt, one reason I put her through it, so she could hold her own. Me, I just make a comment and they usually chose to leave. My daughter, had a few confrontations, she warned them or her friends made the warning, then she opened a whole new can o whooped butt! Being confident doesn't always work, but blocking the threat before it escalate sometimes helps. Yes women are mor vulnerable due to the mentality that some men have of them being a weaker sex.

Yeah , the guys thought once they threaten to kill me if I did not shut up I would stop fighting back , wrong I tried to fight the best I could with both my arms being held down , I was kicking with my legs and yelling . The guys tried to rob the wrong woman , I was not going start crying for my life , I was going to fight for it.
My granddaughter has a yellow belt in karate and is taking more lessons ,most of the students are boys so she get practice with boys at her karate lessons which I think
is great .

Yeah , the guys thought once they threaten to kill me if I did not shut up I would stop fighting back , wrong I tried to fight the best I could with both my arms being held down , I was kicking with my legs and yelling . The guys tried to rob the wrong woman , I was not going start crying for my life , I was going to fight for it.
My granddaughter has a yellow belt in karate and is taking more lessons ,most of the students are boys so she get practice with boys at her karate lessons which I think
is great .

Well...just thank your lucky stars you werent murdered. And those guys werenr dedicted nor knew whwt they were doing...
With luck like that
You should play the ponies

When I have one my girls walking with me, the path is cleared....

crap good word that my horror walking into or falling on crap

I walk with a chip on my shoulder... never had an issue with anyone day or night.

If you act scared .....they know who their next victim is.

I walk with 2 friends, Smith and Wesson. I am told they get loud, do not know about that. :lol:

Happy to live in an open carry state. Wyoming...

I walk with 2 friends, Smith and Wesson. I am told they get loud, do not know about that. :lol:

Happy to live in an open carry state. Wyoming...
well my many friends cant tag along yet, but when they do its either brick, belt, clip, Mag along with the lil ones 9, 22, 40, 44, 50...ect.. lol

Odd- no one mentioned that a Deaf person walking should pay attention to traffic.

Anyone walking should pay attention traffic
True, but it is a bit different when you can hear and see vs. just seeing. Both ways are paying attention to traffic, but I think hearing people don't pay as much attention with their eyes. I know I didn't, before.

I've been losing my hearing and have realized I can no longer trust my ears; I don't know where sound is coming from anymore. Sometimes I think I hear a car but it's a plane overhead, other times a car will zip by and I didn't hear it coming up behind me.

Before recently a quick glance and trusting my ears and I'd cross. Now, I need to pay closer attention with my eyes. Quickly determining if a car is parked or moving is somehow tougher than it used to be.

I think drphil meant paying more attention with your eyes (looking around more), knowing when a car is coming and the state of the environment by seeing it. I don't think hearing people realize how much they rely on their hearing for awareness, it's different.

It is different, I have to be hyper alert in parking lots, cars are so quiet today, I can't tell when one is running and about to back up, my eyes are darting all over the place for a moving car.

Another hyper awareness for me is when I take a walk in my neighborhood, there are no sidewalks, it's a rural road, and traffic moves fast. I can see a car coming toward me, but if there is one coming up behind me at the same time, I can't hear that one because my focus is on the one ahead. The one coming toward me does not pull over very far, meanwhile I'm already into the ditch, then I realize there are two cars and myself trying to share a small area. One day I'm going to lose!!!!

Actually, the rule of the road is the car coming toward me is supposed to give me right of way, or pull over a certain amount of feet, or come to a complete stop until the behind me car has passed. Nobody does that, grr!

I get it...i do...but ive never been.one to ealk with my head gazing down like allot so.....
For me...no mstter where i am or what imdoing...
My eyes are focused snd alert....
But...
Of course now moetteen girls just walk with their eyes trapoed to theie i phone or what ever...
Just easy prey for the bad thats all....

Back