Most common password in 2014: '123456'

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Despite all the warnings about password security, "123456" was the most commonly used password in 2014, says data from research firm SplashData.

The company's worst passwords list finds "123456" and "password" have remained the top two most popular passwords since they started tracking in 2011. The list was compiled from more than 3.3 million passwords leaked during the year.

Shooting up to third is another numeric password, "12345," followed by "12345678" and "qwerty." Overal, five of the top 10 worst passwords featured were numeric.

"Passwords based on simple patterns on your keyboard remain popular despite how weak they are," said Morgan Slain, CEO of SplashData, in a statement. "Any password using numbers alone should be avoided, especially sequences."

New to the list were common words including "baseball," "dragon" and "football," all of which finished in the top 10.

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/story/tech/2015/01/20/worst-passwords/22056847/

Why don't people just use 'stupid ' for their password ? '123456 ' good grief I think our pet could come up with a better one than that by putting their paws on the keyboard .

Really, when employees asked me about what is the minimum number of characters require for password and I told them 8 but recommend at lease 15, 20 is best. They make funny face at me saying THAT IS TOO MANY!! How can I remember 20 characters!!

Simple.... just think of your favorite sentence, or quote or phrase and replace letter with special characters, like a/A = @, i/I = 1, e/E = 3 and so on.

ex: 1f@Th1ngL0v3s1tis1nf1n1t3 = If a Thing Loves, It is Infinite

This is reason why I can see people don't bother to change the password, yes sometime one word password is easier to forget than your favorite sentence.

You're told if your password is weak , strong or brilliant when setting it up so
I can't understand why people would use a weak password.

I liked onetwothreefourandfive

lol

All the sites I had used do this.

Doesn't mean all sites do.

You tend to state things that you experience in ways that make it sound like its the only way things are. Please try to add "in my experience" or something similar.

Why don't people just use 'stupid ' for their password ? '123456 ' good grief I think our pet could come up with a better one than that by putting their paws on the keyboard .

mrs stupid is waiting for tecki me cat just died no ask him and I do small changes each week as you say mrs stupid may be good p/w

I should set up my password to be "incorrect". After all, if you enter it wrong, you get "Your password is incorrect"

;)

Back