Florida public bathroom bill upsets transgender people

rockin'robin

Reaction score
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. —
Transgender women would have to use men's public bathrooms and transgender men would have to use women's rooms unless they have a license or passport that proves they've completed their transition to their new sex under a bill that passed its first committee.

The House Civil Justice Subcommittee approved the bill Wednesday after listening to more than an hour of emotional testimony from transgender residents who oppose it and supporters who said people shouldn't be using bathrooms designated for the opposite sex.

Republican Rep. Frank Artiles of Miami said the bill was needed to prevent rapes, molestations, voyeurism and other crimes in bathrooms.

But opponents said the bill was simply a way to discriminate against transgender people.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/florida-public-bathroom-bill-upsets-transgender-pe/nkNxm/

ummmm ... hello.

Men's bathrooms discriminate against women. Women's bathrooms discriminate against men.

Some discrimination is "good".

"good"? Seriously?

Republican Rep. Frank Artiles of Miami said the bill was needed to prevent rapes, molestations, voyeurism and other crimes in bathrooms.

This guy has rocks in his head. The incidence of ANY of that for transgender people perpetrating those is... nearly ZILCH! MOST of these crimes are done by... oh look at that.. heterosexual straight cisgender people!

Ugh. It's a sad state where one has to show some kind of freaking ID just to go to the bathroom. I hope it doesn't pass...

"good"? Seriously?

This guy has rocks in his head. The incidence of ANY of that for transgender people perpetrating those is... nearly ZILCH! MOST of these crimes are done by... oh look at that.. heterosexual straight cisgender people!

Ugh. It's a sad state where one has to show some kind of freaking ID just to go to the bathroom. I hope it doesn't pass...

That is incorrect.

The majority of pedophilia is committed against minors of the same gender as the violator.

That is incorrect.

The majority of pedophilia is committed against minors of the same gender as the violator.
actually that is incorrect. majority of pedophilia is committed by a family member or family friend.

the very same argument that Republican Rep. Frank Artiles used is same as what people thought about homosexual people in locker room. a failed and deeply flawed logic. you know what's it called? bigotry. homophobic. scared.

. . . Ugh. It's a sad state where one has to show some kind of freaking ID just to go to the bathroom. I hope it doesn't pass...
I doubt that it will happen that way. I can't imagine many places having the funds to pay for someone to be stationed at the entrance of each and every public bathroom to check people in.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. —
Transgender women would have to use men's public bathrooms and transgender men would have to use women's rooms unless they have a license or passport that proves they've completed their transition to their new sex under a bill that passed its first committee.

The House Civil Justice Subcommittee approved the bill Wednesday after listening to more than an hour of emotional testimony from transgender residents who oppose it and supporters who said people shouldn't be using bathrooms designated for the opposite sex.

But opponents said the bill was simply a way to discriminate against transgender people.

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/florida-public-bathroom-bill-upsets-transgender-pe/nkNxm/

well - the way I see it.... unless your state-issued ID shows that you are legally identified as a woman or man.... go ahead and use the right bathroom. not that I have any problem with a transgender person using either bathroom but it's just to make things less confusing and hassle especially on legal side.

I've asked this question before when this topic came up. If the person changing genders is presenting as the new gender, then why would anyone question what they are?

If the person is NOT presenting as the new gender then why would he or she want to use the facilities of another gender?

I've asked this question before when this topic came up. If the person changing genders is presenting as the new gender, then why would anyone question what they are?

If the person is NOT presenting as the new gender then why would he or she want to use the facilities of another gender?

a homophobic bigot person.

People get attacked in public restrooms now regardless of the "rules." There are bad people in this world who don't obey the rules.

Personally, I wouldn't want to mix genders in restrooms because men and women think about and use the facilities differently from each other.

I prefer privacy for my hygiene and grooming functions. Can't we maintain some mystery between the sexes?

"Homophobic?" Then that person wouldn't want people of the same sex sharing facilities, right?

which is why it's irrational.

a homophobic person is fine with sharing bathroom with same sex and yet... gets extremely uncomfortable with a gay person of same gender.

which is why it's irrational.

a homophobic person is fine with sharing bathroom with same sex and yet... gets extremely uncomfortable with a gay person of same gender.
I don't know about other people but I go in the bathroom, take care of business, and leave. I don't socialize in a public restroom. :giggle:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3YBLZMl03I[/ame]

Honestly I think that if you look like a man, use the mens restroom. If you look like a woman, use the womans restroom. Because if I saw someone who was indeed male, but transitioning into a woman, but still looked like a man... that would creep me out. (I'm not talking about below the belt, I'm saying how you dress and look on the outside.) But if he looked womanly then I wouldn't even care because I know the person is just trying to go to the bathroom.

more like transphobic than homophobic. It's possible to be both (and usually are).

*headdesk* Thank you Jiro- would have liked your post 1,000 times. That is exactly correct. Those who are transitioning don't CARE who is in the bathroom- they are just like anyone else-- just want to go in, do their business and leave; they value their privacy just as much as (g)you. Why is it anyone else's business in the first place?

Reba- True I don't see that sort of thing happening either in attempting to enforce the 'ID=correct bathroom' angle.

Maybe Artiles was referring to men who weren't really transgender but just claiming to be so that they could get access to women? :dunno:

Maybe Artiles was referring to men who weren't really transgender but just claiming to be so that they could get access to women? :dunno:
It's possible but I think that's rare too and doesn't seem to happen that often..

:dunno:

Back