Why Is Polygamy So Controversial?

I obviously did not pay attention to philosophy in college... But I think polygamy is more of an ethical debate than a philosophical debate. I know my philosophy credentials are lacking, but I am not aware of any of our great philosophical thinkers putting their 2 cents in to clarify the ethical debates of polygamy. Religious texts are really the ethical guide posts in all societies.

well you showed you got a brain to work this out!, and credentials are really a 'mask or badges for 'experts' to hide behind it, because they dont want you to to know they dont know everything...its a status thing...it hides what they dont know..
just saying..dont let it get to your head though!:lol:,,credentials are real but its not 100% foolproof...:cool2:

I've learned so much in this thread in regards to the Bible.

Interesting stuff.....

well you showed you got a brain to work this out!, and credentials are really a 'mask or badges for 'experts' to hide behind it, because they dont want you to to know they dont know everything...its a status thing...it hides what they dont know..
just saying..dont let it get to your head though!:lol:,,credentials are real but its not 100% foolproof...:cool2:

To be fair, getting a degree or working in a doctoral field require riding on a paradigm. People who think for themselves or try to blur the lines between paradigms are usually weeded out in the higher academia.

It's not so much it's masking what they don't know, it's that they don't feel "special" when the theses they and theories are working on are not distinct.

It's not really a problem unique to academics though. We see it here in the thread.

To be fair, getting a degree or working in a doctoral field require riding on a paradigm. People who think for themselves or try to blur the lines between paradigms are usually weeded out in the higher academia.

to understand you clearly , did you mean weeded out as in 'removed'/dissapproved? if so, im not sure , why are there new thesises that sparked off debates? or caused a quiet revolution? or newer medicines (ok granted there dirtyish politics both in businesses and in academic world)

It's not so much it's masking what they don't know, it's that they don't feel "special" when the theses they and theories are working on are not distinct.
whatever, never really thought of that. and id probably disagree. I was saying those who put down other people using the bragging factor behind the 'qualifications'

It's not really a problem unique to academics though. We see it here in the thread.

hiding behind qualifications as in real life, like incompetent plumbers, sloppy managers who practices workplace bullyings, so call self style dog trainers who actually hit animals needlessly, arrogant lecturerers who dont like challenges when they should welcome and admire brighter/younger minds (last one is partially agreeing with your above comment)...even some Deaf teachers of the deaf can be like that...i know couple of those...and I know some Hearing teachers hand pick aides because they knew they wouldnt be questioned...by virtue of the status...(but that's really another story

could you give me an example or two of the ones which occurred in this thread? :giggle:(or safer in this forum)

I've learned so much in this thread in regards to the Bible.

Interesting stuff.....

It really is, isn't it? I've learned a few things myself. Those comparative religion classes didn't cover all the bases, lol.

I am not referring to people who are hiding behind a degree; but rather the sort who feels because are an expert in one field, they feel entitled to be an expert in everything else. I am referring to the self-entrapped bubble people live in where it's just people patting each others on the backs; and if one dares to rock that boat, they are booted.

For example, Jack Horner won't drop his "T-Rex are Scavengers" theory even though he has been proven wrong time and time again because that's his tagline; it's what made him famous. Even though letting the theory goes means he would be taken more seriously regarding other ideas, he's rooted since his assertion is what elevated him above being an average scholar. There's a lot of similar examples in the academic field.

to understand you clearly , did you mean weeded out as in 'removed'/dissapproved? if so, im not sure , why are there new thesises that sparked off debates? or caused a quiet revolution? or newer medicines (ok granted there dirtyish politics both in businesses and in academic world)

As in people will transfer you to a different supervisor if you don't agree with their theories. It happens a lot with grad students in the paleontology and history departments I worked in.

And usually any points gained by working with that supervisor has been flushed down the toilet because one is now working with a person who isn't well-respected; and because of your association with the new supervisor, any papers published under them is mocked purely out of association instead of on its own merit.

Some people just choose to drop out entirely because in order to get the degree they are pursuing, they need to ride a paradigm in order to get scholarship or allotted living allowance from their superiors' research grants. However to survive while pursuing a degree means not questioning your superiors.

The last bit about "we see it here in this thread" is about how strongly people reacted to the blurring of Christianity. Thou shall not bust their perfect little bubble.

Back