GPS recommendations???

I ll look up on TOMTOM on my phone. :eek3:

I paid TomTom app for $25 as ONE time then free update (fix glitch, new map, speed limit info, gas station,new GUI, etc) for 6 years so far. (old iPod touch with GPS kit then iPhone 4 then iPhone 5.) You can transfer app from old device to new device without extra $$ as you use under same apple ID account.

Well, I bought one few months ago, and I done drove from East coast to West coast in couple months, and TomTom gives me too many headache than necessary. I realized how bad it is and yes I compared with Google and Google have not failed me so far.

Maybe Tomtom dont like you because you drove Ford. :giggle:

We drove From IL to South Dakota (to meet Poweron and his friend) , Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, to IL. No problem so far.

I paid TomTom app for $25 as ONE time then free update (fix glitch, new map, speed limit info, gas station,new GUI, etc) for 6 years so far. (old iPod touch with GPS kit then iPhone 4 then iPhone 5.) You can transfer app from old device to new device without extra $$ as you use under same apple ID account.

Interesting. Thanks.

Well, I bought one few months ago, and I done drove from East coast to West coast in couple months, and TomTom gives me too many headache than necessary. I realized how bad it is and yes I compared with Google and Google have not failed me so far.

We drove From IL to South Dakota (to meet Poweron and his friend) , then drove from SD to Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, then IL. No problem so far.

How old is your TomTom? Mind you, I got two TomTom, and neither of them agreed 100%, sadly around 50% of times. What I mean is that the newer TomTom seems to lose its quality of directions (not as accurate as older one).
So, it got nothing to do with Find Out Real Dream.

We drove From IL to South Dakota (to meet Poweron and his friend) , then drove from SD to Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, then IL. No problem so far.

Well, this coming November I'll be going to Deaf Expo in Palatine, IL, and because the Pace does not run on weekends on that day, I may need to use my Google Maps and my bicycle to get to Harper College from the Metra station there.
whatever you do make SURE you have the right set- walking, driving, bike, public.

I once set my maps to walking as I was a little lost when walking somewhere. I forgot to change it back the next day when I had to drive to my volunteer job. It took me a while to figure out why it was spitting out directions so fast lmao. oops.

whatever you do make SURE you have the right set- walking, driving, bike, public.

I once set my maps to walking as I was a little lost when walking somewhere. I forgot to change it back the next day when I had to drive to my volunteer job. It took me a while to figure out why it was spitting out directions so fast lmao. oops.

Yup, I know. I'm actually planning on getting that set up the night before, because I have to take the Union Pacific North line to Ogilvie Transportation Center, transfer to the Union Pacific Northwest line bound for Palatine, and once I get there, I should have my Google Maps ready to go. It's a long trip to get there, which is why I gotta be up early that morning.

Yup, I know. I'm actually planning on getting that set up the night before, because I have to take the Union Pacific North line to Ogilvie Transportation Center, transfer to the Union Pacific Northwest line bound for Palatine, and once I get there, I should have my Google Maps ready to go. It's a long trip to get there, which is why I gotta be up early that morning.

This is all trains that you have listed. How does the bike get involved? Do you take your bike with you on the train???

This is all trains that you have listed. How does the bike get involved? Do you take your bike with you on the train???

Yes. It's permitted on weekends, and since Deaf Expo is Saturday, November 1st, I can bring it with me. However.... given the distance between the Palatine station and Harper College, I would be wise to stock up on necessary things.

GPS device don't mean all GPS technologys are same, Your GPS probably have one way communication that's mean they can't trace your GPS device. Mostly mobiles use navigation with triangulation which it's two ways communication and easy for E911 to trace them.

actually no. you do not necessarily need 2-ways for triangulation - for example... radio triangulation. anything that receives or sends a signal can be triangulated.

and GPS devices means ALL GPS technologies are the same. all GPS technologies are one-way communication (except GPS satellites and operation centers) and all GPS technology function the same - triangulating with at least 4 satellites.

nowadays - mobile phone has cellular, data, and GPS technologies.

My GPS got stolen. Cops told me they don't have the tech to locate it. If thats true how come an GPS help cops locate lost couple in the mountains while skiing during avalanche?

hmm you sure it's GPS, not RECCO?

220px-RECCO%C2%AE_reflector.jpg

RECCO is a transceiver sewn into your jacket or pants for rescuer to locate you. but if it's really GPS... it's probably emergency GPS beacon like this.

and GPS devices means ALL GPS technologies are the same. all GPS technologies are one-way communication (except GPS satellites and operation centers) and all GPS technology function the same - triangulating with at least 4 satellites.

nowadays - mobile phone has cellular, data, and GPS technologies.

Umm no. There is two ways GPS as internet and radio.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunt...s/104785380.uts&WTz_l=DirectLoad;cat104785380

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro....3&ei=UxQhVJ6cHMyiyASqooHYBg&ved=0CPEFEKYrMAg

That's why I said mostly GPS device have one way. Never said all which you was not right. Also I saw commercial GPS for semi-trucks as two ways and it was not cheap as you think. It's calls Qualcomm and it's pretty cool that you can use it for GPS, traffic report,map, monitor your drive,engine health, and message without radio (Sprint,VZ,T-mobile, ATT) needs.

you are confused....

those are not 2-ways GPS devices.... these are 2-ways devices that also have GPS receivers for coordination only. get it?

1st link - it's a radio + camera + altimeter + compass device and has GPS receiver. it also has GMRS technology (a 2-ways radio spectrum) to send/share GPS locations between people with same devices.

2nd link - it's a device that can use radio, cell signal, Iridium (2-ways via satellites if out of cell range), and GPS (one-way only).

lol.... do you seriously think 2-ways GPS devices costs couple hundred bucks? try millions of dollars. it's virtually impossible for a small device like those links to communicate with satellites. you need a huge satellite dish. these devices can only receive GPS signal, not send/receive.

That's why I said mostly GPS device have one way. Never said all which you was not right. Also I saw commercial GPS for semi-trucks as two ways and it was not cheap as you think.

actually no. commercial GPS requires a data/cell signal for 2-ways. the only people who have 2-ways GPS are government, military, and few corporations.

you are confused....

those are not 2-ways GPS devices.... these are 2-ways devices that also have GPS receivers for coordination only. get it?

1st link - it's a radio + camera + altimeter + compass device and has GPS receiver. it also has GMRS technology (a 2-ways radio spectrum) to send/share GPS locations between people with same devices.

2nd link - it's a device that can use radio, cell signal, Iridium (2-ways via satellites if out of cell range), and GPS (one-way only).

lol.... do you seriously think 2-ways GPS devices costs couple hundred bucks? try millions of dollars. it's virtually impossible for a small device like those links to communicate with satellites. you need a huge satellite dish. these devices can only receive GPS signal, not send/receive.

actually no. commercial GPS requires a data/cell signal for 2-ways. the only people who have 2-ways GPS are government, military, and few corporations.

2nd link clear said "satellite network, users can send and receive text messages when well out of cell phone signal coverage." That's mean it's use GPS two ways without cell phone needs.

First you said ALL GPS technologies are the same. all GPS technologies are one-way communication now you said 2-ways GPS. Get a fact next time.

Because you never seen commercial GPS before and you just guess that it use cell phone. Really?

2nd link clear said "satellite network, users can send and receive text messages when well out of cell phone signal coverage." That's mean it's use GPS two ways without cell phone needs.
right... it uses Iridium for satellite communication. Its GPS functionality is not two-way. It's only equipped with GPS receiver.

GPS technology is a very very simple concept. you need at least 24 GPS satellites orbiting around the world to get GPS coordinate anywhere in Earth. GPS satellite only sends signal and you can receive that signal with any receiver device. you need at least 4 satellites for a coordinate. the more satellite links your device receives... the more accurate it is. the more accurate it is.... the bigger your receiver is... which means more power is needed. Garmin, TomTom, etc. compete with each other over better receiver technology and basemaps. They do not own GPS satellites. Only government owns and controls satellites and very few companies can build GPS satellites for government like Boeing.

Chinese, Russian, Indian, American, etc. have their own GPS satellites. why? simple.... for their precision-guided weapons. The government can turn off GPS access for civilians at ANYTIME. that means.... all devices using GPS such as Garmin, TomTom, Google Map, etc. will be rendered useless if the government cuts off the access.

why is this simple concept very hard for you to grasp? stop being stubborn.

First you said ALL GPS technologies are the same. all GPS technologies are one-way communication now you said 2-ways GPS. Get a fact next time.
I think you don't really understand what I'm saying.

use your common sense. obviously - we're talking about GPS technologies that anybody can use and that technology is one-way only.

Because you never seen commercial GPS before and you just guess that it use cell phone. Really?
lol...... lol...... lol..... I know how it works and what it does and trust me.... it does not use GPS for 2-ways communication. For 2-ways... it uses either or both radio, cell, and satellite (ie - Iridium). Commercial GPS only receives.... not sends.

FYI - Iridium is NOT a GPS satellite. It's a 2-way satellite communication....

I don't think you understand what 2-ways GPS satellite means. GPS satellite's primary function is to SEND coordinate signal to a receiver and that's it! Nobody except government can send signal to GPS satellite. The only reason for government to send signal to GPS satellite to is to update the software or to reposition it.

Do you know what makes it a "Commercial GPS"? It's for a company to monitor and keep track of their trucks as well as to control their trucks (2-ways via cell/radio/satellite and no not GPS satellite... Iridium Satellite or other 2-ways communication satellite). Can you do that with your regular Garmin or TomTom GPS? there you go.

when I travel.... I use my iPhone - either Google Map or Waze. when I go to somewhere that my iPhone doesn't work - remote area or out-of-country.... I use Garmin GPSMAP 276C (very old) and Garmin Zumo 550 (also very old)

garmin-gpsmap-276c-main.jpg

cf-lg.jpg

both devices are pretty big and clunky :lol: but I don't care since it works just fine.

right... it uses Iridium for satellite communication. Its GPS functionality is not two-way. It's only equipped with GPS receiver.

GPS technology is a very very simple concept. you need at least 24 GPS satellites orbiting around the world to get GPS coordinate anywhere in Earth. GPS satellite only sends signal and you can receive that signal with any receiver device. you need at least 4 satellites for a coordinate. the more satellite links your device receives... the more accurate it is. the more accurate it is.... the bigger your receiver is... which means more power is needed. Garmin, TomTom, etc. compete with each other over better receiver technology and basemaps. They do not own GPS satellites. Only government owns and controls satellites and very few companies can build GPS satellites for government like Boeing.

Chinese, Russian, Indian, American, etc. have their own GPS satellites. why? simple.... for their precision-guided weapons. The government can turn off GPS access for civilians at ANYTIME. that means.... all devices using GPS such as Garmin, TomTom, Google Map, etc. will be rendered useless if the government cuts off the access.

why is this simple concept very hard for you to grasp? stop being stubborn.

I think you don't really understand what I'm saying.

use your common sense. obviously - we're talking about GPS technologies that anybody can use and that technology is one-way only.

lol...... lol...... lol..... I know how it works and what it does and trust me.... it does not use GPS for 2-ways communication. For 2-ways... it uses either or both radio, cell, and satellite (ie - Iridium). Commercial GPS only receives.... not sends.

FYI - Iridium is NOT a GPS satellite. It's a 2-way satellite communication....

I don't think you understand what 2-ways GPS satellite means. GPS satellite's primary function is to SEND coordinate signal to a receiver and that's it! Nobody except government can send signal to GPS satellite. The only reason for government to send signal to GPS satellite to is to update the software or to reposition it.

Do you know what makes it a "Commercial GPS"? It's for a company to monitor and keep track of their trucks as well as to control their trucks (2-ways via cell/radio/satellite and no not GPS satellite... Iridium Satellite or other 2-ways communication satellite). Can you do that with your regular Garmin or TomTom GPS? there you go.
Source?

Sick of my stubborn then why you continued to be stubborn?

I'd use a Tom Tom or at least put in a system that can hook up your phone to the GPS monitor. The Honda gps software for the dreamcast chip sucks. I'm not sure what Nissan uses.

Also, they are going to want you to shell our $150 a year for updates.

Back