Captioning devices in theaters?

I think 10+ is the going rate, especially in the evenings or weekends. A matinee (afternoon) is less.

I miss the open captioning too. :(

I haven't been to the movies in years. I stopped going way before I went deaf. I can't stand all the rude people either using their cel phones or munching very loudly on a ton of food. I would much rather watch a movie at home.

I saw a report that popcorn only cost them 2 cents to make. They turn around and sell that for $6-$8. They also pipe the popcorn smell into the theater to make you want it.

When the girls where little, we always went to the store and picked up snacks before we went. Nothing big, they fit in my purse.

I think 10+ is the going rate, especially in the evenings or weekends. A matinee (afternoon) is less.

I miss the open captioning too. :(

The prices at Gurnee Mills Movie Theater were ridiculous, but they did have a section especially made for captioned movies, so when I went to see Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, it cost me enough, let's put it that way.

I was told recently that theaters will be going WiFi, CI will connect wirelessly and have crystal clear sound. So no more neck loops and all the gadgets.

Does this whole issue sound completely nuts to any other hearing people (except obviously the OP)??? Wow. People need to get over themselves and welcome captioning at theaters.

I prefer having captions as well. I never miss a whispered line or shouting over and explosion, and captions often include background sounds that are contextually relevant (like thematically relevant music) but would have been lost if I were just listening to the main dialogue.

Why don't theaters just flip the way they're thinking about this? They can have captions available every day and have a couple showings a week with no captions for stubborn people who say things like "I don't want to think about READING while I'm watching a movie!"

Pardon the incendiary analogy, but it sounds like they're asking you to politely go sit at the back of the bus here.

Good idea and would be awesome but in most places the deaf population is a great deal smaller than the hearing population so if a theater does captions every day and non captions a few days a week/month- they'd be losing money. Have to wonder if it's more distracting on a big screen like at the movies... Would be an interesting experiment though.

Good idea and would be awesome but in most places the deaf population is a great deal smaller than the hearing population so if a theater does captions every day and non captions a few days a week/month- they'd be losing money. Have to wonder if it's more distracting on a big screen like at the movies... Would be an interesting experiment though.

[rant] I agree/understand that the hearing population is bigger, but I feel the ADA was created in the spirit of not letting this become a deciding factor*. I don't think I have ever in my life walked into a theater that was not wheelchair accessible/capable. It's ridiculous that hh/deaf are marginalized so blatantly.

To me not including captioning for hearing population's "convenience" is EXACTLY akin to a teacher saying an interpreter could distract hearing students. Perhaps without the interpreter, a Deaf student would be distracted by their inability to capture information? Perhaps with a lack of captioning, Deaf populations would be inconvenienced by not understanding any audible elements in a movie?

Yeah. Sorry. This issue coming to my attention makes me really angry. Coming from freshly illuminated hearing eyes, the lack of captioning seems completely insane.

I can think of lots of means of bringing awareness to this issue, but almost all these ideas require cooperation from a major theater chain. For instance, one day all theaters could turn off their sound for awareness. But of course they would not.

I read about that man pulling a fire alarm in anger due to watching a caption Avengers showing... How ridiculously idiotic and intolerant can a person be? Crazy.

/anger

Post script: As long as the words are stationed below the major action, I don't see how the big screen would make it more distracting. I recently had a friend living with us who did not want the CC on while we watched things, which we always keep on for total comprehension (neither me nor my SO have below normal hearing). We had become so used to being able to refer to the CC while watching complicated plots (think Breaking Bad) that we kept getting lost during quiet dialogue scenes. It was really frustrating, and we can hear! Like most innovations designed to benefit minority populations (think wheelchair ramps), I think captioning would ultimately benefit the majority population in unexpected ways as well if they were simply open to it** being a fact of life.

*Also, these theaters wouldn't be losing money if it were required across the board, and captioning seems cheaper than a lot of "handicap accessible" features.

**I don't think the majority should be allowed to feel open or not open to the idea, just like ramps. It's an accessibility issue that should be addressed whether the majority feels like it or not.

Omg [/rant]

+1^^^

All I can say is that many people don't give a f*ck about people with disability. No respect! Really sad! That's why ADA is there to protect us regardless of what people think.

+1^^^

All I can say is that many people don't give a f*ck about people with disability. No respect! Really sad! That's why ADA is there to protect us regardless of what people think.
ADA doesnt always help those with disabilities... I know for a fact.

ADA doesnt always help those with disabilities... I know for a fact.
I have a fact that an ADA employee showed up at my wife's medication between her and LA sheriff. The result is that the sheriff who treated my wife badly was required to attend deaf culture class. If you don't fight, you can't expect to win. Anyhow, she expected money but she didn't get it. A lawyer who knows about ADA is the best person to get you money.

Do you know Ridor9th, a famous deaf YouTuber? Through his lawyer, he got money from a prison or jail because they violated ADA law.

Back