EdM Deaf Studies--Application and Mobility?

Acronym

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking into applying for an EdM or MA in Deaf Studies. Unfortunately, I did not major in ASL at college (I wanted to minor or double major in it at the school I thought I would go to, but the financial aid wasn't good enough and I went to a school with no ASL class at all--actually barely any other languages). So far, Boston U's program is the best fit because they will accept you without fluency and stick you in an intensive summer semester to bring you up to speed. If anyone knows of other programs like this, do share.

My questions are these, for anyone who has gone through a similar program or who is knowledgable about such programs (I'm hoping Reba has some smarts here from the field):

-Application
I have looked at some "student profiles" of people who have gone through BAs and EdMs/MAs and are in the field. My first concern is that the MAJORITY of them are either speech therapists or "special education" teachers. My mother even said of my interest, "there are other special education programs you could apply to."

I do not want to teach in an oral (only!) environment. And I really do not see how Deaf education is "special education." I like this to calling Yeshivas (Jewish schools) "special education." At Yeshivas, they have Hebrew language classes and Jewish culture and history classes etc. I understand the perspective that the deaf have "special needs" as seen by mainstream education, but at a Deaf school... Well it seems like the "special needs" part is addressed by the fact of the institution existing, and otherwise I don't see the "special education" idea playing in?

I don't really want to enter a program and be surrounded by people who are "So excited and dedicated to the prospect of these children speaking and going into the mainstream!!!!!1!!1! :))) " Wtf Deaf Studies graduates?

My other concern about applying such a degree is...
-Mobility

I really don't want to just teach secondary school (or lower) forever. I would be excited to work with high school students early in my career, but what I'm really after is a PhD in Composition and Literacy studies with a focus on developing better education models for both Deaf and simply primarily visual students in undergraduate composition. I strongly believe that college comp programs are and have often been poised in a position of power to change education at the high school level by example. When college comp programs adopt new, better, more inclusive and innovative models of teaching--which they have the flexibility to do as colleges--those principles often find their way down the ladder to high schools and even earlier education, where red tape is more easily bypassed and methods adjusted when success is seen with those models in college education. I also know from experience that MANY (I would go so far as to say the majority) of college freshman have to be re-taught huge swaths of reading/writing strategies when they enter college. I want this re-forming of literacy at the college level to have equal awareness of hearing and deaf populations, and Writing Centers/Labs as well as freshman comp programs are the perfect place to adjust practices.

In short, I'm after college students, both deaf and hearing (and everything in between). Is this done by anyone? Going from certified for K-12 or secondary only and then getting a PhD and working in college? I wouldn't necessarily teach at the "big three" although that would be an absolute honor.

I am also interested in potentially pursuing interpreter certification if I find I have the qualities necessary. This is an ongoing exploration and I am aware of manifold factors that may stand in my way. I've accepted I may not have what it takes to pursue interpreting, but if I go into such a Deaf Studies program, I'm wondering how common it is to then try to certify with RID.

Oh my. I write a lot.

Thanks for your time and thoughts in advance.

You don't have to go straight to PhD and teaching college level. Just be aware of how truly difficult it is to get that kind of position and to be able to support yourself doing it. A lot of people with their PhDs just are lecturers and get paid too little money to support themselves so they have to work at a bunch of schools or work two different types of jobs to make ends meet.

Duly noted. Thank you for the response!

Yes, unfortunately even a PhD in the field I've pursued for years does not have a stellar earning potential. I could expect to make as little as 45-55k/yr and at best I could hit about 80k/year. The latter is unlikely due to my specific interests, and even though it sounds comfortably high, it costs a lot of money to get there, so for the better part of the first decade of my career I may struggle, especially if the economy has not bounced back.

That is partially why an EdM appeals to me. I can put it to work immediately if I'm any good at it, even if that work is not steady (substituting, tutoring, TA-ing).

If I am not accepted to any of the schools I apply to, I would like to do an ITP or at least a certificate Deaf Studies program. Most of the ITPs I see are AAs or BAs. I'm having trouble finding ITPs for those who have a BA that is not in Deaf Studies.

I currently devote at least two days to ASL a week. This week I'm knocking it up to three. Only one of these is a class, and it's super elementary compared to the experience I've been gaining at the events with my local deaf community. But I worry I'm not doing enough and that an intensive class would give me more structure.

I live in East TN for anyone who may know of another resource. I'm willing to travel up to 80 miles for a weekly class or Deaf event, and if I seek an ITP or similar program after hearing back this Spring from schools, I'm willing to relocate for a reputable program that takes one year or under to complete unless it is high quality enough to offer me true proficiency in lieu of a degreed program.

Back