Liam Neeson is the voice of Aslan the Lion Gets Islamic Death Threats

Those "fundamentals" certainly don't fit Christian beliefs.

Of course they don't. But they use the Bible as their guiding light and call themselves Christian.

Just like the fundamentalists in Islam don't fit Islamic beliefs, but use the Quran as their guiding light and call themselves Muslim.

Not according to some other posters.

That's why I want to set the record straight. :)

Also, I don't agree with the philosophy that SES makes the world go around but that's another thread for another day. ;)

Perhaps you don't agree with it, but it has been shown, again and again and agian, crossculturally, that poverty affects belief systems and actions.

Socioeconomic status

Thanks.

Well, there is a link between the status of a community and the economy. The economy itself does influence the outcome of a community.

While crime occurs in all classes of communities, but people should be aware that poverty does contributes to the crime rate. For instance, many store robberies are committed by people who are below the poverty line. People get mugged on a daily basis in areas where everything is rundown and below the poverty line. Desperate times call for desperate measures. This is where people start taking advantage of them. They know these people are desperate to do anything to have a better life. So it's remarkably easy to convert people over to a faith-based system that was heavily modified for sinister purposes.

Have you ever noticed how if they fill a neighbourhood with affordable housing, the crime rate goes up? If a neighbourhood varied in economic statuses, you will find that the crime rate is low. There is nothing wrong with affordable housing as long they limit it to a few per neighourhood rather than dozens and dozens. People with previous records and involved with selling drugs have a tendency to move in areas with nothing but affordable housing due to the low costs. This is something not many people want to hear, but it's the truth.

It's not ideal to have a neighbourhood with nothing but below the poverty households. It will contribute to a higher crime rate compared to the other neighourhoods. Poverty does a lot of harm to the people involved rendering them vulnerable and susceptible to evil.

Perhaps you don't agree with it, but it has been shown, again and again and agian, crossculturally, that poverty affects belief systems and actions.
It has some influence but it's not the main influence. If it were, then all poor people would be criminals, and all wealthy people would be benevolent angels. We know that's not true.

It has some influence but it's not the main influence. If it were, then all poor people would be criminals, and all wealthy people would be benevolent angels. We know that's not true.

We all know that.

However, poverty does play a role in increasing the crime rate. If you were to read some studies and such. You will see that in the past, where poverty was rampant, the crime was too. Children of parents who were stricken by poverty resorted to stealing, mugging, breaking into and more because they were hungry and penniless.

Lower SES is not the only factor involved in criminal behavior, either. For that to be true, we would have to say that anyone who lives in poverty has the exact same environmental influence, the exact same personality profile, and the exact same genetic make-up.

We all know that.

However, poverty does play a role in increasing the crime rate. If you were to read some studies and such. You will see that in the past, where poverty was rampant, the crime was too. Children of parents who were stricken by poverty resorted to stealing, mugging, breaking into and more because they were hungry and penniless.
But not all poor people do that, even when they are in the same or even worse dire situations.

Also, crime by well-to-do people is increasing.

Poverty is not the main factor for increasing crime. It might influence the mode and location of crime but it doesn't create criminals.

Many crimes, especially of violence and cruelty, have nothing to do with poverty.

But, as I posted, that should be stuff for a new thread. :)

BTW, just because I don't agree with "studies and such" doesn't mean that I'm not aware of them. ;)

But not all poor people do that, even when they are in the same or even worse dire situations.

Poverty is not the main factor for increasing crime. It might influence the mode and location of crime but it doesn't create criminals.

Many crimes, especially of violence and cruelty, have nothing to do with poverty.

But, as I posted, that should be stuff for a new thread. :)

BTW, just because I don't agree with "studies and such" doesn't mean that I'm not aware of them. ;)

Not all people do anything. Actually, SES is a main factor in criminal behavior. It is the single most consistent environmental influence found.

Did I say that? No. Only that it contributes to it. I was below poverty at one point in my life and I never committed a crime. However, I grew up in a decent and nice neighbourhood that was not rampant with poverty.

But do they rob 7-11 stores? Mug people? The crimes by well-to-do people are often more sophisticated. For instance, defrauding clients. The people stricken by poverty resort to petty theft, robberies and more which doesn't reward them anything but a prison sentence.

It does make a difference, whether people want to believe it or not.

Did I say that? No. Only that it contributes to it. I was below poverty at one point in my life and I never committed a crime. However, I grew up in a decent and nice neighbourhood that was not rampant with poverty.

But do they rob 7-11 stores? Mug people? The crimes by well-to-do people are often more sophisticated. For instance, defrauding clients. The people stricken by poverty resort to petty theft, robberies and more which doesn't reward them anything but a prison sentence.

It does make a difference, whether people want to believe it or not.

And white collar crime actually does much more harm than blue collar crime because of the vast number of people one act affects. And you can bet your bippy that higher SES makes their prison sentence much shorter.

And white collar crime actually does much more harm than blue collar crime because of the vast number of people one act affects. And you can bet your bippy that higher SES makes their prison sentence much shorter.

True that. :roll:

You may wanna ask Bernard Madoff that...

Yiz

Rich people also commit violent crimes, not just white collar crimes. They're involved in dog fighting, wife beating, rape, serial killing, and pedophilia.

Rich people also commit violent crimes, not just white collar crimes. They're involved in dog fighting, wife beating, rape, serial killing, and pedophilia.

Yep, the very idea and argument that rich people / poor people carries very little merit. It's just wishful thinking...

Yiz

no no, reba's comment was to say rich people aren't wussys to get someone else do the drty (but often they do) just saying violent crimes arent confined to lower strata people....rich people can be violent...wealth and income bears no co-relation but again it tends to hide it 'better'...
AND i stll reckon in this society class factor play a HUGE role in crime perpentuation, as does it keeps the myth 'you must get rich to go to heaven and to get it you must cheat' mentality and/or other way around ' you must STAY rich, get rid of the threats by any means...'...

General crimes do not rise with the poverty rate. However, person and property crimes do.

You may wanna ask Bernard Madoff that...

Yiz

Don't need to ask ole Bernie anything. We have already seen the consequences of his white collar crime...including the contribution it made to his own son's suicide.

Some are. But you will still find a preponderance of those crimes being commited by people that do not fit the Upper SES status. Additionally, those are crimes that are generally more the result of personality deviance than poverty. The same type of personality that often allows one to achieve upper SES level as the result of having no empathy for others. They are quite willing to step on whoever they need to step on to reach the wealthier status.

Don't need to ask ole Bernie anything. We have already seen the consequences of his white collar crime...including the contribution it made to his own son's suicide.

Bernie couldn't get away, there were too many people who were out for his blood.

Back