Is it ever ok for kids NOT to use ASL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
But I'm not just talking about very young children. I'm asking if it is ever ok for a child with a hearing loss to NOT be given sign language.

In my opinion based on my experiences after seeing what happens to so many deaf and hoh children when not given full access to language, no, it is not ok.

In my opinion based on my experiences after seeing what happens to so many deaf and hoh children when not given full access to language, no, it is not ok.

So you believe Deaf ed should be one size fits all?

So you believe Deaf ed should be one size fits all?

It is about giving children the rights to full access to language which is every child's given rights. Would you think it is ok to limit access to language for hearing children? Since nobody knows how much each deaf child is gettting or how much they are understanding while they are young, giving them ASL is giving them the same rights that hearing children have to be able to develop language and concepts during their young age.

If someone locks up a hearing child in a house with no language exposure at all times, the person would be arrested...but it happens to so many deaf children despite not being locked up because spoken language is not fully accessible to them like ASL is.

As a teacher, I cant imagine taking those kinds of risks with deaf/hoh children's language development so I prefer to give them both languages.

AS for deaf ed...it is about teaching the cirruculm so that's a different story. We are talking about language arent we or are we talking about deaf education?

It is about giving children the rights to full access to language which is every child's given rights. Would you think it is ok to limit access to language for hearing children? Since nobody knows how much each deaf child is gettting or how much they are understanding while they are young, giving them ASL is giving them the same rights that hearing children have to be able to develop language and concepts during their young age.

If someone locks up a hearing child in a house with no language exposure at all times, the person would be arrested...but it happens to so many deaf children despite not being locked up because spoken language is not fully accessible to them like ASL is.

As a teacher, I cant imagine taking those kinds of risks with deaf/hoh children's language development so I prefer to give them both languages.

AS for deaf ed...it is about teaching the cirruculm so that's a different story. We are talking about language arent we or are we talking about deaf education?

But I believe that there are kids that do have access. Especially, mild losses, great CI users, and post-lingually deafened.

But I'm not just talking about very young children. I'm asking if it is ever ok for a child with a hearing loss to NOT be given sign language

His sister is deaf and the family uses ASL.

I had some friends who were Italian. Some of their children decided they did not need to learn or speak anything besides English. Rather than fight with their children what the parents did was:

Once inside the house Italian and only Italian was spoken or listened to. If you did not say it in Italian you were ignored by everyone.

This strategy worked.

In your position it is what I would do.

But I believe that there are kids that do have access. Especially, mild losses, great CI users, and post-lingually deafened.

The key word is "believe" ...

Neither you nor I have been a young CI user, midly hoh, or post lingually deafened, so don't pretend that your opinion is more insightful than mine.

I am not going there with that comment...

back on topic

like I said...the key word is "believe" when it comes to young children...nobody knows how much language input they are getting via auditorally..

U believe whatever u want..u created this thread asking this question and I gave u my opinion...this is what I believe in based on my experiences working with deaf, hoh, and CI users of all ages in the past 10 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going there with that comment...

back on topic

like I said...the key word is "believe" when it comes to young children...nobody knows how much language input they are getting via auditorally..

U believe whatever u want..u created this thread asking this question and I gave u my opinion...this is what I believe in based on my experiences working with deaf, hoh, and CI users of all ages in the past 10 years.

But you can follow their receptive and expressive language.

I just really don't believe that one size fits all is best.

But you can follow their receptive and expressive language.

I just really don't believe that one size fits all is best.

U asked for our opinions...I am not going to change it cuz I see too many children suffering from having no strong language foundation...

I did not learn ASL. Until 1989.

It was not my mothers fault. She was lead to believe that I can hear normally with hearing aids by the audiologist at the time. She did not know anything about the Deaf Culture or learning sign language. I started out with a mild to moderate hearing loss. As I got older it is now moderate to profound.

I do not blame my mother for it. She did not know better at the time. She was mislead. So I hold no anger towards her.

She still does not know ASL. But she does show a lot of compassion and makes sure I am not left out. as well as my other family members.

I guess it is how much the parent is educated about deafness or hearing loss to know.

I did not learn ASL. Until 1989.

It was not my mothers fault. She was lead to believe that I can hear normally with hearing aids by the audiologist at the time. She did not know anything about the Deaf Culture or learning sign language. I started out with a mild to moderate hearing loss. As I got older it is now moderate to profound.

I do not blame my mother for it. She did not know better at the time. She was mislead. So I hold no anger towards her.

She still does not know ASL. But she does show a lot of compassion and makes sure I am not left out. as well as my other family members.

I guess it is how much the parent is educated about deafness or hearing loss to know.

Not blaming the parents here but the doctors or audiologists who advise the parents to drop sign language...

I dont blame my mom as she was told by the doctors in order for me to be "normal", dont expose me to sign language...

Not blaming the parents here but the doctors or audiologists who advise the parents to drop sign language...

I dont blame my mom as she was told by the doctors in order for me to be "normal", dont expose me to sign language...

Understood.

Just wanted to be clear on that. Since some people do blame the parents.

Is there ever a situation in which it is ok for a child with a hearing loss NOT to be given ASL?
A mild hearing loss?
Post lingually deafened?

Is it ever ok?

No. ASL is not going to harm the child. Even if the child is hearing, I think it would be so enriching for them to learn ASL. Also, I would think that if a parent enjoys signing with their child and feels comfortable the child will feel the same.

No. ASL is not going to harm the child. Even if the child is hearing, I think it would be so enriching for them to learn ASL. Also, I would think that if a parent enjoys signing with their child and feels comfortable the child will feel the same.

So, no matter what, a parent must use ASL with their (deaf or hoh) child?

So, no matter what, a parent must use ASL with their (deaf or hoh) child?

Yes. No one can force them, but I think it's only fair to the child. What is it that you are worried about?

Yes. No one can force them, but I think it's only fair to the child. What is it that you are worried about?

I agree..it is fair to the child. Arent we supposed to meet their needs first rather than our own?

I agree..it is fair to the child. Arent we supposed to meet their needs first rather than our own?

Yes, their own needs comes first before our own and this is where all parents needs to do a self-analysis whether they are improving or disabling their children's future.

If a person said that all profoundly deaf children should be given a CI, or be required to use hearing aids, or must have speech or listening therapy, or lipreading training, people would be outraged. Why is it ok the other way? Why is anything REQUIRED for all deaf or hoh kids? Shouldn't they be individuals?

Yes, their own needs comes first before our own and this is where all parents needs to do a self-analysis whether they are improving or disabling their children's future.

:gpost:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back