Suggestions for 504/IEP

taureandreamer

Reaction score
:wave: Hi all-

At the age of 15 my daughter started progressively losing her hearing (she's now 16), it began September of 2012. At last check (this month 8/13) she was at 122db and 88db.

Last school year I requested an IEP meeting and received a 504 which even the school says is crap. This Thursday 8/29/13, we have a 504 (to cover their butts-their words) and still waiting for the IEP meeting.

I'm at a loss as to what should be on the 504 or IEP. She was evaluated at Rochester School for the Deaf and accepted but I guess there is a process. She needs an IEP first at her home school before she can be considered by her home school to go to Rochester.

We are very new to this and hope that we can get some ideas to what might help her in the classroom/school. Everything they say to us so far is "she can talk so she doesn't need much".

Any help would be great!

I'm sorry I believe I posted this in the wrong section. I think it should have gone under the education folder. (sorry again)

Last night while going through several posts I did find some information. If I read one thread right it said "not" to sign off on the 504 and/or IEP?

My daughter said they do have smartboards in each classroom-so from what I can tell that is a plus.

The school mentioned a FM system but no mention of consulting with her audiologist and from what I understand they are still looking for someone to do an audiogram for them because they just can't take my word or my daughters audiologist word for it.

Does anyone know if the evaluations from RSD can be used or will they just consider their evaluation?

I've heard of CART should I request that or is the smartboard enough?

Lastly, can I request that she learns ASL at her home school (since they are persistent she stays there)?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated :)

FM systems are wonderful, I do have one but mine's not set up year so maybe tomorrow or so lol

hang in there, I'm sure you'll get there! (my loss is less worse than your kid's since I'm around 90-95% this year) :)

As someone who lost the bulk of her hearing from age 7 to 18, I'm going to write my answer as to what I needed back then.

I would definitely put in that she needs to learn ASL. It will become more important to her as she loses more hearing. It will allow her to have more comprehension in college when having an interpreter. In fact, I would put in her IEP that she needs ASL classes with the goal towards fluency and having an interpreter for her classes. As a bonus, it will also allow her to function better among Deaf groups, and she may find that she likes and needs to be a part of that culture. So ASL is also important for her social development and will allow her to function with her peers.

In the meantime, you can put down that she needs good notes taken for her in every class (so that she can just watch the teacher and concentrate on understanding without having to look down all the time to write notes).

Put in for speech therapy, so she can learn how to consciously make the sounds of speech (which involves knowing where to put your tongue, how to push the air out of your lungs properly, lip position and jaw position). This will mean that when she loses more of her hearing she has the foundation already there that will allow her to continue to have clear speech as she ages. As someone who grew up speaking, she will probably really appreciate it later. I consciously use my speech therapy skills every single time I speak, and as a result there are no issues with anyone understanding me and it makes it easier for me to function in the hearing world.

I would definitely request the CART, it would probably be done remotely, so all your daughter would have would be a computer screen to look at rather than hiring in someone to come in the class and do it. I would have loved to have had that for my education but it wasn't available in ye olden days. Even if she has it, she still needs a notetaker. There may be diagrams put up for the class that need to be written down, and you can't effectively read something while writing down something different. Because the quality of notetaking by students in the class is going to vary if they decide when something is important (like saying "only take notes if diagrams are put up), the notetaking must be done for the entire class period every single day of class. It's not the notetakers decision to decide if something is worthy enough of being written down, the notetaking needs to cover everything. So make sure you put in that the notetakers be good and thorough, and have an orientation in the first week of class to make sure they know how to take notes for someone who cannot hear.

I don't understand why they don't accept your audiologist's tests. You need to go and talk to them and tell them either accept the perfectly valid test results you have, or the shit and get off the pot and arrange a new one at their expense before she loses more access to services and loses access to knowledge.

FM systems are wonderful, I do have one but mine's not set up year so maybe tomorrow or so lol

hang in there, I'm sure you'll get there! (my loss is less worse than your kid's since I'm around 90-95% this year) :)

Thank you so much for the information :) Hopefully your FM system will be set up tomorrow. I'm definitely requesting that they consult with "her" audiologist before they attempt purchasing the FM system. Good luck! I hope you're all set soon :)

As someone who lost the bulk of her hearing from age 7 to 18, I'm going to write my answer as to what I needed back then.

I would definitely put in that she needs to learn ASL. It will become more important to her as she loses more hearing. It will allow her to have more comprehension in college when having an interpreter. In fact, I would put in her IEP that she needs ASL classes with the goal towards fluency and having an interpreter for her classes. As a bonus, it will also allow her to function better among Deaf groups, and she may find that she likes and needs to be a part of that culture. So ASL is also important for her social development and will allow her to function with her peers.

In the meantime, you can put down that she needs good notes taken for her in every class (so that she can just watch the teacher and concentrate on understanding without having to look down all the time to write notes).

Put in for speech therapy, so she can learn how to consciously make the sounds of speech (which involves knowing where to put your tongue, how to push the air out of your lungs properly, lip position and jaw position). This will mean that when she loses more of her hearing she has the foundation already there that will allow her to continue to have clear speech as she ages. As someone who grew up speaking, she will probably really appreciate it later. I consciously use my speech therapy skills every single time I speak, and as a result there are no issues with anyone understanding me and it makes it easier for me to function in the hearing world.

I would definitely request the CART, it would probably be done remotely, so all your daughter would have would be a computer screen to look at rather than hiring in someone to come in the class and do it. I would have loved to have had that for my education but it wasn't available in ye olden days. Even if she has it, she still needs a notetaker. There may be diagrams put up for the class that need to be written down, and you can't effectively read something while writing down something different. Because the quality of notetaking by students in the class is going to vary if they decide when something is important (like saying "only take notes if diagrams are put up), the notetaking must be done for the entire class period every single day of class. It's not the notetakers decision to decide if something is worthy enough of being written down, the notetaking needs to cover everything. So make sure you put in that the notetakers be good and thorough, and have an orientation in the first week of class to make sure they know how to take notes for someone who cannot hear.

I don't understand why they don't accept your audiologist's tests. You need to go and talk to them and tell them either accept the perfectly valid test results you have, or the shit and get off the pot and arrange a new one at their expense before she loses more access to services and loses access to knowledge.

Thank you so much for your wealth of information :) A notetaker hasn't been mentioned for HS it was only originally mentioned if I pay for her ASL. Which I have considered but I worry it would take so much longer attending a class at the local college. (I know it won't happen over night). Speech therapy hasn't been mentioned at all. After reading everything you said it definitely makes sense and I am requesting it-strike that I'm demanding it all. Thanks again to you and Safarigirl :) A good sized weight has been lifted this evening :)

First of all,she IS eligable for special education services.....they can't deny her based on the fact that she talks.I talk and I still got HOH services.....An IEP is a legal document that will put into stone the accomondations needed......Stuff like front row seating,CART etc are ALL musts.
She does sound like she would thrive under a minimal accomondations approach......It's good that she already is hooked up with RSD.....Could RSD maybe help you with getting an IEP at her current school? Contact Outreach maybe.....also Hands and Voices would help too:Hands & Voices
Aren't there BOCS dhh regional programs? That might be the perfect fit for her.....it would be a dhh program but housed at a mainstream school....
Look into Deaf Camps for next year:Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

Sorry, but she does not need speech therapy. She ALREADY KNOWS how to speak and has prolly mastered everything already.......

I'm just going to say I think it's great you want her to learn ASL. It made me smile just reading that. It does open up a completely whole new world to you... I am so thankful I was able to learn it when I lost my hearing. And Eater of Worlds is right... it's so much better having that communication with other deaf people. I just think it's amazing you support her in that... Just wanted to throw that out there. Many people are quick to force their children into oral only things because it's "easier" on the parent. I think it's great what you're doing. Everything will be great, I'd personally keep fighting for the deaf school. That's such a great opportunity. =) Again, just throwing it out there, you're awesome. =P Hehe

Also wanna say that it's great that although she's progressive postlingal/late deaf you're making sure she has access to ASL AND possible Deaf School.....that is going to help her SO MUCH!

First of all,she IS eligable for special education services.....they can't deny her based on the fact that she talks.I talk and I still got HOH services.....An IEP is a legal document that will put into stone the accomondations needed......Stuff like front row seating,CART etc are ALL musts.
She does sound like she would thrive under a minimal accomondations approach......It's good that she already is hooked up with RSD.....Could RSD maybe help you with getting an IEP at her current school? Contact Outreach maybe.....also Hands and Voices would help too:Hands & Voices
Aren't there BOCS dhh regional programs? That might be the perfect fit for her.....it would be a dhh program but housed at a mainstream school....
Look into Deaf Camps for next year:Summer Camps for Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children and Teens

I have requested that RSD be a part of each meeting. Originally the school had it so minimal that she is repeating a grade :/ Not saying it was just their fault she played a part in that too. She began skipping classes because the teachers refused to help her. When she asked teacher's to repeat themselves because she didn't hear them they said "I'm not doing double my job because you don't pay attention". Of course skipping not the answer I understand how she was frustrated but the rest of the time was skipping because she was asked too by her new found friends (made while skipping). I looked at the BOCES program that is closest and they didn't want to offer her ASL because she could talk. They wanted her to learn just MCE and most of the kids she would be with are developmentally disabled. Will check out the deaf camps for next year. Thanks :)

Just got home from the 504 meeting. They agreed to the FM system and front row seating. As for notes they said the teacher will give them to her at the beginning or end of class. If that doesn't work they said they will hire a notetaker. My daughter said she will be giving them a call on the 3rd day of school for a notetaker :) ASL they are looking for a class or a teacher to come to the school a few times a week. (We'll see). CART they are waiting on because she is a slow reader. They are having a speech pathologist meet with her once a month just to check on her speech and work with her a little. The teacher's, principals, etc are all being told to listen carefully and watch for hiccups in her speech as they put it. There is also an extra teacher in each classroom. She's there not just for my daughter but whoever else needs help. Visual aids are another thing they are putting together. Her schedule has been changed a little (even though school hasn't started) so she doesn't deal with some of the same teacher's she has had problems with in the past. Staying on top of the 504...

And now we wait for school to start and for the IEP meeting.

Thank you so much for the information :) Hopefully your FM system will be set up tomorrow. I'm definitely requesting that they consult with "her" audiologist before they attempt purchasing the FM system. Good luck! I hope you're all set soon :)

LOL you're very much welcome :)

I have requested that RSD be a part of each meeting. Originally the school had it so minimal that she is repeating a grade :/ Not saying it was just their fault she played a part in that too. She began skipping classes because the teachers refused to help her. When she asked teacher's to repeat themselves because she didn't hear them they said "I'm not doing double my job because you don't pay attention". Of course skipping not the answer I understand how she was frustrated but the rest of the time was skipping because she was asked too by her new found friends (made while skipping). I looked at the BOCES program that is closest and they didn't want to offer her ASL because she could talk. They wanted her to learn just MCE and most of the kids she would be with are developmentally disabled. Will check out the deaf camps for next year. Thanks :)

Oh AWESOME.............and she does sound like she'll do well with a minimal accomodations approach...She's not struggling socially right? Ask for a TOD.....How far away are you guys from RSD? Maybe she could go there as a supplement like for ASL class and or socialization.(many Deaf schools offer socialization time for mainstreamed students)

Great news! Glad to hear! I'm sure she'll do just fine! =D I'm sure she's thankful to have a wonderful parent as yourself looking out for what's best for her. =)

Oh AWESOME.............and she does sound like she'll do well with a minimal accomodations approach...She's not struggling socially right? Ask for a TOD.....How far away are you guys from RSD? Maybe she could go there as a supplement like for ASL class and or socialization.(many Deaf schools offer socialization time for mainstreamed students)

She's' a social butterfly which is a huge positive I think. I will ask them about a TOD. I plan on e-mailing them in a few. I think rather than teacher's notes she definitely needs a notetaker. Teachers notes are great but in comparison to what a student writes down or a notetaker they are so far different that I'm concerned she'll end up with more of an outline and they don't pass books out for any class so going to request that as well. Unfortunately we are 4 hours away from RSD. The other schools are also 4 hours away. :/ I was given a name of someone who use to be an educator that's local so I'm going to ask them to look into her. Apparently, she's very good.

In that case...........AWESOME!!! I assume her high school is more diverse then most....high school can be a nightmare,even for hearing kids.Sucks that RSD is four hours away...So she would have been a residental student.(that actually might have been kinda fun for her)....I do think ALL she needs is a few tweaks in the classroom,plus Deaf Camp(Gally has a summer program for dhh kids who want to learn Sign.....and she'd fit in well at many summer programs....the NTID programs would be AWESOME for her) and she'll do AWESOME!

Sorry, but she does not need speech therapy. She ALREADY KNOWS how to speak and has prolly mastered everything already.......
Sure she speaks. There's a big difference between speaking and knowing how to make the sounds (where to put the tongue, how much air, etc). Since she grew up without a hearing loss, chances are she's going to want to continue to speak to others, at least in the beginning. It would help knowing how a sound is made, not just making it. It will also help to take advantage of it being free for the next three years, as well, and it's great that they are providing a speech pathologist for her.

Since she's going to be learning ASL, she should consider a deaf social. These meet at local coffee houses, you don't have to know sign already to go. Everyone has been friendly at all the ones I've gone to regardless of your signing ability.

Welcome to Deaf Chat Coffee I know that in my state, there is an organization for the deaf on the state level and there is one on the county level, both have social programs. It might be worth looking into for your daughter.

Sure she speaks. There's a big difference between speaking and knowing how to make the sounds (where to put the tongue, how much air, etc). Since she grew up without a hearing loss, chances are she's going to want to continue to speak to others, at least in the beginning. It would help knowing how a sound is made, not just making it. It will also help to take advantage of it being free for the next three years, as well, and it's great that they are providing a speech pathologist for her.
Um she grew up HEARING so she ALREADY KNOWS how to make those sounds..Going dhh isn't going to magically cause her to forget how to make those sounds....plus the mechanics of speech therapy is REALLY boring.Twenty bucks says the speech therapist will do an evalution and then discharge her b/c she has no issues.

Back