Annoying ignorant hearing people stories

I'm hearing, but I sign due to 1) a severe stutter whenever I try to talk to people, and 2) just a natural distaste in talking (to the point where people used to think I was deaf when I was little). My friends, on the otherhand, do not understand this, and get annoyed whenever I sign. What they haven't realized is that learning ASL has helped REDUCE my stutter almost to oblivion, because it helps me think about the words that I want to speak. It makes me feel like they don't care that I have numerus speech issues, and just want to make things comfortable for them.

Last semester I was in a professor's office getting help on an assignment. She was clearly frustrated with my lack of understanding of some of the material, and, not wanting her to continue thinking I was goofing off in lecture, I explained why I was missing things and assured her that I was going in to talk to the disability services people that very afternoon to deal with the problem. Her response (I shit you not) was "Don't do that. That costs the school more than your presence here is worth." At my shocked look, she then went on to inform me that disabled people do not deserve to go to college and my presence was cheating someone more deserving of an education. At my meeting with the dean of students that afternoon, I told him what she said. He was not happy. She then refused to wear the mic for the FM system that the school provided for me. I reported her again and got a signed note saying that she had to do it. She still refused to wear it, but gave in enough to allow me to place it on her podium during lecture. Which she did *not* stay behind during lectures. Unfortunately, the dean of students couldn't do much because she's tenured.

Last semester I was in a professor's office getting help on an assignment. She was clearly frustrated with my lack of understanding of some of the material, and, not wanting her to continue thinking I was goofing off in lecture, I explained why I was missing things and assured her that I was going in to talk to the disability services people that very afternoon to deal with the problem. Her response (I shit you not) was "Don't do that. That costs the school more than your presence here is worth." At my shocked look, she then went on to inform me that disabled people do not deserve to go to college and my presence was cheating someone more deserving of an education. At my meeting with the dean of students that afternoon, I told him what she said. He was not happy. She then refused to wear the mic for the FM system that the school provided for me. I reported her again and got a signed note saying that she had to do it. She still refused to wear it, but gave in enough to allow me to place it on her podium during lecture. Which she did *not* stay behind during lectures. Unfortunately, the dean of students couldn't do much because she's tenured.
Then go higher than the dean of students. Go report it to your state's department of higher education as well as the ADA. The ADA alone will be more than happy to take your case as so long as you have documentation as proof to back up your claim.

Went to the car dealership on my lunch break to kill time. Parked away from the showroom so that I can walk around and check out the new Cruze when it first came out. It was a windy day. I was walking & eating at the same time, looked at this sticker, that sticker, etc. All I heard was the wind roar just like we hear with our hearing aids.

I turned around to walk back to my car. There was a saleslady standing about 60 feet away with her arms crossed and a mean-bitch look on her face. She was clearly pissed at me.

As I walked back to my car and walked by her, this is the first thing she said:

"I know you heard me. I know you are pretending that you did not. I don't appreciate that"

I simply pointed to those two round things sticking to my head, but she would have none of that.

I told her "Just looking, don't see what I like, but thanks anyway" and left.

Jeez.....

Went to the car dealership on my lunch break to kill time. Parked away from the showroom so that I can walk around and check out the new Cruze when it first came out. It was a windy day. I was walking & eating at the same time, looked at this sticker, that sticker, etc. All I heard was the wind roar just like we hear with our hearing aids.

I turned around to walk back to my car. There was a saleslady standing about 60 feet away with her arms crossed and a mean-bitch look on her face. She was clearly pissed at me.

"I know you heard me. I know you are pretending that you did not. I don't appreciate that"

I simply pointed to those two round things sticking to my head, but she would have none of that.

Jeez.....

Sounds like the lady has more problems between her ears than the ears themselves...

"YOU CAN TALK?? But you are deaf!!?!!"

This came from a person who for years watch me sign with other deaf at the Post Office. One day I decided to strike up a conversation with that person and led of with: "Good evening. How are you." The above is the respond I got back.

"WOW you talk so well for a deaf person"...well I do have *very little* hearing in my both ears (more on the left than right) with help of hearing aids and years of speech thearpy--14+ years. Plus my family still correct my speech. So of course my talking capability is well-done by deaf person.

Jeez.....

Dang Green....I think you gave the salelady perfect response with "Just looking, Don't see what I like, but thanks anyway"

I have to say all time favor is "oh I am so sorry that you deaf".

I am little bit of smart aleck since I was a kid. So my response is usually something like this "Oh, I am so sorry that you are hearing and I bet you can't sleep throught the night because of noise" especially in the city like NY City. or something that most hearing people can't do like deaf person can do.

Jeez.....

Cleveland Ave or Rt 13/40?
She's probably at a different dealership now. It's rare for car sales people to stay at the same dealership for a long time. My husband was a car salesman.

Cleveland Ave or Rt 13/40?
She's probably at a different dealership now. It's rare for car sales people to stay at the same dealership for a long time. My husband was a car salesman.

Williams Chevrolet on the Elkton/Newark border.

Out of all the dealers I've been to, the Ford & Mazda dealers on Cleveland Ave have the creepiest, most uncomfortable salesmen. They look & act like predators with creepy stares. Ugh.

I like Newark Chrysler's salesmen...they don't even care if I am in the showroom, and are not interested in helping me....:lol:

Williams Chevrolet on the Elkton/Newark border.

Out of all the dealers I've been to, the Ford & Mazda dealers on Cleveland Ave have the creepiest, most uncomfortable salesmen. They look & act like predators with creepy stares. Ugh.

I like Newark Chrysler's salesmen...they don't even care if I am in the showroom, and are not interested in helping me....:lol:

Well, hopefully the Ford salesmen you're talking about aren't the one's that were there in 1983-1991...when my husband was there. Though I'm sure some of there might have been (just not my husband, I hope).

I was shopping "auto row" (Cleveland Ave) a few years ago. My memory is of some of the things they told me that sounded like "bull" to me. We ended up buying a used car at Spallco (rental car) where my husband had worked. Figured his old boss would sell us "junk". So far, so good. Heck, her car may be newer than mine. We both have 2009's. Mine is a Nissan Sentra bought new (year-end model) with about 32 miles on it and her's is a Kia Rio which had, I think, 32,000 miles on it.

Hopefully it will be mannnnny years before I have to car shop again. Or I have a husband who's good at it (I'm a widow).

I'm hearing, and I used to work at McDonald's. I am not fluent in ASL, but everytime we had a Deaf customer, I would tell the other workers to send them to my register so we could all avoid confusion, and make ordering a little easier on the customer. One day, I had a customer come up to me and sign their order. I tried to confirm everything, but just to be sure, they wanted to write it down. I got the woman a pad and pen, and she wrote everything down. A shift manager saw us chatting through sign, came over, snatched the paper away, handed her a menu in braile, and spoke really loud and slowly "POINT FOOD YOU WANT PLEASE. HAVE NICE DAY THANK YOU." The customer was really offended and angry, and I had to apologize profusely to her.

Seriously!? Braile menu? She's Deaf, not blind, stupid :roll:

I have worked with insensitive people before, also. I was the only employee who knew ASL in one of the larger book store chains. There was one family who came in, they were new in the area. I could hear one of the guys in the restaurant area talking about the family all the way to the other side of the store... but no one in the family could hear him (All three members were Deaf). After I had a long quiet talk with my manager, about how awful that makes the business look, the guy got a write up.

Why do people think it's okay to talk about someone just because they can't hear them? Personally, I don't talk about my hearing friends unless I'm talking to their faces. Why don't hearing people give the same respect to a Deaf person? It's alright, I got your back! If anyone signs something nasty about me, I hope you've got my back. LOL After all, love and respect makes the world turn, right?

P.S.--As I was the only person in the store who knew ASL, these particular customers would always come find me when they had a question. Granted, my signing was slow, and I didn't know as much as I do now, but I'm always learning. If you see me out in public, sign a little slower... I mean, I'm the one w/ the communication problem here, right?
V.

Yeppers. I've posted before about the stranger in Walmart who saw me signing with my son when he was about 7 or 8. She told him God would heal him if he prayed hard enough. He told her he wasn't sick.

Just wanted to say how much I love this post!!! Kids are so sweet and honest!:giggle::aw:

So, these jerks in my French keep coming up to me and asking me for ridiculous signs for just about everything (some of you may already know this). Today, one of them tried to tell me a sign that they somehow already knew before I knew them, and when I said he was way off (not even remotely close to the correct sign), he tried to say that it was correct. I flew off the handle and said "So you're going to correct MY signing when the only sign language you really know is what very little I've taught you? Don't think so." If they were deaf, and/or fluent in ASL, the situation would be different, but they've never even been exposed to a Deaf Community even online. :pissed:

So, these jerks in my French keep coming up to me and asking me for ridiculous signs for just about everything (some of you may already know this). Today, one of them tried to tell me a sign that they somehow already knew before I knew them, and when I said he was way off (not even remotely close to the correct sign), he tried to say that it was correct. I flew off the handle and said "So you're going to correct MY signing when the only sign language you really know is what very little I've taught you? Don't think so." If they were deaf, and/or fluent in ASL, the situation would be different, but they've never even been exposed to a Deaf Community even online. :pissed:

You can always treat them like an invalid... Put your hand on their shoulder (like leading them out of the room) and say "It's all right" (patting their shoulder or back) "you will get it eventually" push them out of the room and turn around and walk back... Try not to smile too broadly and let their friends see you do that. he he he

I love when a first year ASL student corrects my ASL. lol That give me a barometer for who's an assh*le.

I love when a first year ASL student corrects my ASL. lol That give me a barometer for who's an assh*le.

Yeah, I'm no expert on ASL (yet :D), but I certainly know more than a guy who thinks that "calm down" is basically the sign for "thank you" on your forehead.

It also "urks" me when I show a sign to someone, and they say "why don't they just do this: *insert absurd substitution for the actual sign*?"

I've always wondered what goes on in a moron's mind, but then I remember that they're morons for a reason. :lol:

Back