SSI/SSDI benefits

Reaction score
I have done research and find that people can receive SSI/SSDI regardless if they want to work or not. I have also found that some continue to keep receiving check and work part-time, but are careful not to go over the amount they get paid so as not to lose the stability of a check.

Why do people choose to continue to get checks but don't want to choose to work full-time and earn their own income? Is there a specific reason? I thought the point was to get you off benefits and become an independent adult, but it looks like as long as you have a documented disability it doesn't matter whether or not you work. It is up to you to work part-time and get a check, not work and get a check or get off of it.

Is there a good reason to keep the check and not go over the income, so as not to loose the check? Why not work full-time and get off of it if you do have the option but choose not to?

Some people are disabled enough that they can't handle a 40 hour work week anymore so they opt for a part time job. It helps to keep them busy during the week at least too.

Can't explain the people who DO have the capability to work but choose not to and to stay on SSDI. Maybe they're getting past age 50 (many times it's harder to get hired over a certain age)... but that still doesn't explain the folks who are young and/or do have the potential to work and still stay on SSI/SSDI...

Short answer- "Easy money".

I have SSDI but believe me I'd rather work until I no longer can either by retirement or if any of my disabilities get worse (Mainly vision).

Also keep in mind that those who get SSDI have paid into it by working and paying into SS. SSI is for those who have not worked. The system itself is pooly designed. Don't blame the recipients for that.
If you also work part time and loss benefits due then your medical issues get worse you are screwed. It's almost impossible to get benefits again. Even healthcare expenses prohibit one from getting off disability because you have a pure existing condition. Now you might get obamacare but that is not reliable as Republicans are trying to repeal it then millions with pre existing conditions will be stuck with no insurance. At least Medicare is guaranteed while you are on SSDI. I need another back surgery but the Medicare copay us going to be $10k or more. So I'm hoping to finish job retaining and get a good paying job with good health insurance that will cover it. Full then hopefully epidural injections, meds, exercise, bracing etc will keep it in check. Many have comorbid conditions. It's not just one thing that forces one into disability. Most of us want off it if circumstances allow.

Yes, SSDI is for those who have worked and calculated based on your past earnings. You have to be on SSI for a certain amount of time before you have to be on SSDI.

Sometimes you have to find another health plan to cover Medicare gaps. Medicare is great, but you're stuck with the bill if it's a costly procedure and don't have another health plan to cover gaps.

I am one of them, I cant work full time, maybe not anymore. Sure, I could work, but with the medical conditions I have, its insane to push the limitation I have, otherwise I would be in severe pain. I am not that exciting about getting benefits, but I don't have much other choices really.

I don't mind if anyone who work part time and draw up a benefits. They are paying ss to keep running SS alive. Wh

Yes, SSDI is for those who have worked and calculated based on your past earnings. You have to be on SSI for a certain amount of time before you have to be on SSDI.

Sometimes you have to find another health plan to cover Medicare gaps. Medicare is great, but you're stuck with the bill if it's a costly procedure and don't have another health plan to cover gaps.
Not possible if you are under 65. Insurance companies won't issue medigap or supplement policies and federal crime to apply for ObamaCare if you have Medicare.

He's right. If I stay on SSDI I'm eligible in 2 years for medicare. I opted for a plan from ACA- it's cheap enough but covers way more than Medicare would and I wouldn't be able to get a supplemental plan although I THINK AARP has some. I don't know the rules for AARP insurance even though in general you can get AARP when you hit 50.

Also I've never been on SSI- haven't even tried. I can't remember which one I tried for when I was in college... SSI or SSDI... thinking SSI :hmm: and was rejected.

"Not possible if you are under 65. Insurance companies won't issue medigap or supplement policies and federal crime to apply for ObamaCare if you have Medicare."

Yeah, I think you might be right.

He's right. If I stay on SSDI I'm eligible in 2 years for medicare. I opted for a plan from ACA- it's cheap enough but covers way more than Medicare would and I wouldn't be able to get a supplemental plan although I THINK AARP has some. I don't know the rules for AARP insurance even though in general you can get AARP when you hit 50.

Also I've never been on SSI- haven't even tried. I can't remember which one I tried for when I was in college... SSI or SSDI... thinking SSI :hmm: and was rejected.

Probably SSI since that is based on income. SSDI if you have already worked, I think 5 or 10 years and is not based on income.

I'm one of those people are referring to here. I'm not even 50 and have been on SSDI off-and-on for over 15 years. It's been very difficult getting myself into a job where I can make substantially more alone than I make with part-time work and SSDI combined.

It's like this. Why work twice as hard at a job that never pays as well and does not give you advancement? I am unskilled in spite of my education. My degrees were a waste. Nonetheless, I use the free time to help me learn about the markets around the country and decide what to do next. It shifts and changes so much in a short period that any attempt at a degree in a specialization (unless a doctor or a dentist like that) carries a huge risk of getting caught out of the job market when you graduate with no work experience. That happened to me when I get out of grad school. I didn't get jack after undergrad because I didn't have much work skills to speak of, other than the ability to put PC computers together, and it was at the stage where it was no longer practical for me to keep up with the hardware changes. I went all the way from 8088 to Pentium II processors and CCNA courses, but never had actual work experience, really.

To make a long story short, I'm attempting to find a trade skill with the rennie world (I've tried for two years last month), opting for sewing skills for making rennie clothes. If I don't have something lined up by this fall at Texas Ren Fest. I'm just going to hang it up and turn my life over to service at a Hindu mandir (temple) in the area. I've had it with trying to find a job that pays a living wage at least, and I've tried for over 25 years. The cards are stacked against me in this life. I'm going to give my efforts to a segment of society that deserves it.

People keep sending me to Walmart when I'm looking to buy this item or that item, and I keep telling them not to send anyone else there, since their employees have to be on food stamps, and recently, I told them about the possibility of Walmart shutting five stores down out of retaliation at labor organizing efforts (there are no plumbing permits filed with the cities to be found). This is what America has turned into; a country of mainly poor people, a shrinking group of groomed worker bees who STFU, keep their head down, and do what their told, and a tiny group of people who have all the money.

No way. I've had enough, and I'm not working in that kind of job environment anymore. That's where the Hindu temple contacts come in.

what happens if you really poorly need transplant will you get treatment

what happens if you really poorly need transplant will you get treatment
I don't know... either you end up paying out of pocket or sometimes you can work with the hospital to reduce the costs as a, for lack of a better term, 'charity case'. Sometimes some organizations or charities will pay for it but that does not always apply to everyone.

:dunno: Hopefully I never wind up in such a situation. Right now I'm fine with a low cost health care plan thanks to the ACA ("Obamacare")- don't know what would happen as i get older.

you could come to uk get treatment everyone else do....apparently many americans go on cruise complain of illness and cruise company pay. one way

yeah-- lots cheaper to go overseas for just about anything medical in many cases...

you could come to uk get treatment everyone else do....apparently many americans go on cruise complain of illness and cruise company pay. one way
Fortunately I was born in UK and have dual citizenship. If I needed something major I'd grab a flight to UK...

I don't know... either you end up paying out of pocket or sometimes you can work with the hospital to reduce the costs as a, for lack of a better term, 'charity case'.

A third choice is to simply die. I mean, your body is going to die eventually. It's a matter of when.

A third choice is to simply die. I mean, your body is going to die eventually. It's a matter of when.
1. SSI & SSDI are 2 separate things. SSI is state managed and has a means qualification If you make mor then a certain amount you are not eligable for SsI Many peple on SSI get Medicaid (or whatever your state calls it)
2.SSDI has no mean;s qualification, Federally run based on an equation about past earnings FICA tax that use to be 7% or 14 if your owned a business. People on SSDI ay be eligible for Medicare. If on medicare ou are probably eligible for a medigap supplimentalinsurance. I am 64 on ssDI brain fried from massive stroke. I have medicare and a medicare supplement through AARP United Health care ( not a commercial) On SSDI one can earn up to $1000/month. I try to be employed usually lasts between 3 - 6 months then quietly asked to leave or have a car accident a consequence of my stroke unable to tell distance as well as lost of a good deal of my ability to hear.. No longer have a license. If you need more Info contact 1 - 800 Medicare, or check the social security website Lots of people work to the limit because of fear of loosing medical coverage. This year had surgery for testicular cancer. without insurance it would have taken every dime I own. NOw wih a fried brain I also have a radioactive________.

I am one of them, I cant work full time, maybe not anymore. Sure, I could work, but with the medical conditions I have, its insane to push the limitation I have, otherwise I would be in severe pain. I am not that exciting about getting benefits, but I don't have much other choices really.

Yes, my opportunities are limited because of vision issue and I'm officially classified as low vision, but still have full capable to drive anytime without restriction. That's not related about Usher Syndrome because my doctor changed the diagnosis.

I have to deal with GI issue and it is one of extremely annoying, unpredictable symptoms that left me ill for few or several hours, or per day or few days. It has been around since 2009 after I had illness from food poisoning - it was confirmed by my doctor and it does cause permanent damage to intestine guts, even my intestine is healthy that seen in colonoscopy but guts are not function so there are no surgeries or medicine to repair so I have to take probiotic for rest of my life and it isn't perfect supplement.

I prefer to work at home and don't have to deal with stopping for restroom by surprise when traveling on road, even public transportation too - I forced myself to exit the subway or bus at middle of route and looking for restroom. The morning is worst for my intestine because it is very active. I got ill frequently at Gally and their cafeteria was my worst day - everyday.

I prefer to work over live on SSDI but sadly, there isn't much choice for limited opportunities.

People think SSDI is oh so great to live off of, in reality it sucks, it doesnt make ends meet and it barely gets you by....

Back