Romasign

deafdrummer

Reaction score
I post this link only because I'm a member of a Conlang FB group (meaning Constructed, or artificial Language). A fellow member created Roma Sign. Roma Sign is supposedly a way to natively convey ASL to a signer using the Latin alphabet. It states:

"The RomaSign system was designed to solve a couple of related problems, namely how to record ASL production and how to deal with it in a computer-friendly way. Recording video captures the language in detail, but it doesn't lend itself well to technology like search engines, email, and text messaging. Besides, it's not always convenient to record and play back video.

"As the name suggests, RomaSign makes use of the Roman alphabet. It could be considered a Romanization scheme for ASL. Just as languages like Japanese and Russian can be written using the Roman alphabet, so can ASL. What really makes RomaSign unique is that it can actually be spoken as well as signed. This gives hearing learners a much-needed foothold, allowing them to remember signs more easily and even talk about them in English."

http://romasign.com/

From my perspective as a native English speaker, this is really complicated, just like learning how to use a writing system for another language. I would like to hear from native ASL users what you think of this method of writing for ASL.

Thanks for posting this! Hi, I'm the creator of the system, totally new to the forum, and somewhat of a stranger to the Deaf community. The only real signing I've done has been trying to teach my semi-verbal autistic brother a little, without much success. I do have a master's degree in linguistics, and I've been working at this problem for several years, off and on. I hope it can be of some use to you. Any suggestions you can offer are welcome.

Interesting. When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about sign language used by Gypsies.

When I first saw the title of this thread I thought it was about sign language used by Gypsies.

Yeah, I thought of that being a possible confuser, but since "Roma" really just means "people" (related to human/homo/homme/etc.), I figured it's still not a bad name. Finding a decent ".com" address is tough work. :)

Back