My new HAs | Oticon Spirit Zest C SP (Chili?)

What programs do you have now? Same as he put in mine? (general, speech in noise, music and telecoil).

Went to an outdoor concert tonight - vocalist, guitarist, and drummer.

HATED these things! Mainly because the music was just SO LOUD. I ended up taking the aids out entirely and I could still hear the guitarist and the drummer. Could tell the vocalist was singing but couldn't hear any lyrics. So that means the music was amplified more than 90 dB, at least.

So for first experience in live music - major fail.

really? well the music I hear on my computer is terrible but way much better with the streamer. music on stereo? really good

I'm not using the streamer at all. I tried it in the office and just didn't care for it. It did not help my speech discrimination watching TV as compared to the aids by themselves. So it didn't seem worth the effort and price.

So far with these aids, I've noticed an improvement in watching TV, I can understand speech better and rely more on watching the actors and less on the CC, and I can hear a lot more of the background music. So far I haven't tried the stereo; that will be next.

I was really looking forward to the concert tonight and was disappointed that the music itself was over-amplified, and perhaps the aids are still a bit too loud. It was interesting listening "naked" as it were; I haven't done that for a long time and was actually surprised at how much I was hearing without any aids at all.

But again, that's because they had humongous speakers and were amplifying everything WAY too much, I do believe.

AJWSmith, would love to hear more from you. I don't mean to be hijacking your thread! Hope your experiences have been uniformly good as you get used to the new aids.

At the moment I don't have anything that connects with Bluetooth, so not really necessary. What Bluetooth things do you use? Phone, probably? Some sort of music storage?

Does your HA play music when you put in your ears? Mine does and I would rather have the feed back sound than the horrible music!

Not music, not even a discreet little beep, but a "bbbbllllaaaapppp" sort of sound. Then it stops. It is annoying, for sure.

My Phonaks do a little "beep, da da beep" sort of thing, a series of tones.

Not music, not even a discreet little beep, but a "bbbbllllaaaapppp" sort of sound. Then it stops. It is music, , for sure.

My Phonaks do a little "beep, da da beep" sort of thing, a series of tones.

The HA I have can be programed to play a song you like but that cost extra money. I did not they played music until I got them, I find it very music, if I have my HA out of my ear and the phone ring I have to wait for the music to stop playing before I can talk.

How bizarre! I've never head of hearing aids being programmed to do a song that you like.

How 'bout "Volare?" or "O Solo Mio..?" OK, just joking - but how cool to have a little background music in your aids!

Seriously, I prefer the little beeps the Phonak does to the "blllaaapp" sound of these Oticons. I'm getting in the habit of not closing the battery compartment until I've put the molds all the way in, to avoid it.

I'm not using the streamer at all. I tried it in the office and just didn't care for it. It did not help my speech discrimination watching TV as compared to the aids by themselves. So it didn't seem worth the effort and price.

So far with these aids, I've noticed an improvement in watching TV, I can understand speech better and rely more on watching the actors and less on the CC, and I can hear a lot more of the background music. So far I haven't tried the stereo; that will be next.

I was really looking forward to the concert tonight and was disappointed that the music itself was over-amplified, and perhaps the aids are still a bit too loud. It was interesting listening "naked" as it were; I haven't done that for a long time and was actually surprised at how much I was hearing without any aids at all.

But again, that's because they had humongous speakers and were amplifying everything WAY too much, I do believe.

AJWSmith, would love to hear more from you. I don't mean to be hijacking your thread! Hope your experiences have been uniformly good as you get used to the new aids.

Still getting used to the new Oticon HAs. Some sounds seem "too loud" as you described above, but I'm also hearing some sounds I haven't heard for a long while. My hearing therapist explained to me that the brain tends to amplify new sounds so they sound louder in comparison and when it gets used to the sounds they diminish in volume. It's called 'Habituation'. I've began to realise that I'm not hearing as many new sounds now. For example I cannot hear the metallic whirl of bicycle chains anymore, a sound that took me by surprise on my 1st day of wearing the HAs. The different cars and vans are beginning to sound more "samey". I remember that each time I get new HAs the world sounds loud and fresh, but after a few weeks it begins to sound similar to before, maybe a little clearer or louder, but not by much.

The thing I particularly notice about these Oticon HAs is that they seem to zoom in on speech and song. I hear the music from car stereos as they drive pass more loudly. That might be why the concert sounded so loud to you. And if people are talking nearby, their voices sound as if they're on my shoulder. However I can't make out the words unless I'm lipreading them. I'm locating the direction of the sound better as well. Normally if I hear a siren I have to look around me to find out where it's coming from. But today I was able to work out the correct direction every time.

How bizarre! I've never head of hearing aids being programmed to do a song that you like.

How 'bout "Volare?" or "O Solo Mio..?" OK, just joking - but how cool to have a little background music in your aids!

Seriously, I prefer the little beeps the Phonak does to the "blllaaapp" sound of these Oticons. I'm getting in the habit of not closing the battery compartment until I've put the molds all the way in, to avoid it.

I really do not like the music, it sound elevators music to me . I find it very annoying to have to wait for the music to stop so I can hear the person on the phone. It does not help it I leave door open until I get the mold all the way in, it will still play music. And the battery fall out it I leave the door open. Some time I think of going back to the body HA, it might not bother my TMJ as much

I am testing these things out right this minute. So far: mixed results. I tried the streamer in the office and HATED it. The volume was very loud but I wasn't getting clarity enough to understand what was being said. Ouch!

Drove home. The warning beeps in the car sounded more low-pitched and less like beeps than like "doooonngs." (Our car beeps at EVERYTHING - when we come close to another car, when the doors open, all sorts of stuff.) My husband spoke to me quietly in the car, and I could hear and understand him better than usual at a softer volume (according to him).

We have the TV on right now. CNN was much easier to understand: I found I was listening more and paying attention to the speaker's face, and just glancing at the CCs to confirm what was being said, instead of relying almost entirely on CCs.

Turned to the HGTV channel, and the woman's voice was so annoying we only watched about 5 minutes of it. So I'm not sure if that's an improvement or not! (According to my husband, anything that cuts down on HGTV watching is an improvement, so there's that opinion...)

We're going out to lunch right now so I can see how I like this with noises around me. At the moment there is only the one program on them, but I'll go back to the office mid-afternoon and he's going to put in at least a music program, and I hope the Speech-in-Noise program too.

So - jury is still out, but I can see some differences that seem better.
I hate having everything beeping at me, it horrible when you're put on hold and you keep hearing a beeping sound. I end up getting an earache. My daughter use a cell phone and I have a real hard time understanding her,my new HA has not help with this.

How do you know if your HA's have bluetooth or are compatible with a streamer?
I have the Oticon Spirit Zest (mild loss in left ear) and the Oticon Spirit Zest P (severe loss in the right ear)?

Steve

How do you know if your HA's have bluetooth or are compatible with a streamer?
I have the Oticon Spirit Zest (mild loss in left ear) and the Oticon Spirit Zest P (severe loss in the right ear)?

Steve

Hi Steve,

I've answered this question on your other thread, but in case you look here first I can confirm that the new HAs I'm wearing are compatible with the Oticon streamer. In fact I'm saving up my pennies to buy one and I hope to get it before Christmas. The audiologist told me that the HAs themselves are not wired for bluetooth but the streamer is bluetooth enabled. So by pairing the streamer with the bluetooth device, you indirectly connect it with the HAs.

BTW the audiologist told me that it is unlikely for HAs themselves to have bluetooth installed as the circuitry will take up too much space making the HAs too bulky.

Best wishes,
AJW

New to Oticon and Streamers

Hello, I'm glad to discover this thread. I received my Oticon Spirit Zest HAs on Monday (Oct 10), so this is my sixth day of wearing them. I had the old Oticons before which frankly I didn't wear much because they did me little good. I have cookie bite loss which is being aggravated with high end loss due to age (sigh...) and I found most HAs weren't good at making the mid-frequencies clear.

The Zest is fantastic! I can hear so clearly now in ways that I couldn't before. Granted at times the world is too loud as is my own voice. But my audiologist pointed out that I'd never properly heard my own voice before and that I'm hearing it as it should be heard. The world is strange right now.

My audi then demonstrated the use of the Oticon Streamer for me. He paired it to my phone and went down the corridor and called me. That was a revelation hearing phone calls properly without having to squint (thinking that would make me hear better...huh?) or feel as though I had to crawl inside the phone. Listening and talking via the Streamer is great. I love it. Sure on the street using the phone can be noisy as the Streamer's mic is sensitive.

I have also bought the ConnectLine TV box. I've paired it to the Streamer and I now hear the TV without cranking its volume way high. My girlfriend loves this bit. It's not as good as I thought it would be. I think it gets interference from the WiFi router and I can't move either the TV or the router. So I feel as though I'm receiving a bunch of white noise along with the TV audio. I'm getting used to that however.

I've now paired up to my Macbook Pro and listen to my music through the aids. But the only thing I can't do is get my Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade phone to play its music through the Streamer. The Orange rep thought the firmware for the phone's Bluetooth might not be compatible with the Streamer. I've no idea on that. My audi's iPhone played its music to me perfectly.

So I am experiencing a new world of sound :lol:

Back