Do you guys embrace your hearing loss/deafness?!

It just bug me that every normal hearing and able body person keep trying to fix me and every one of us to make us be like them. I am sooo sick of this attitude of thinking that hearing aids or CIs would help us to hear clearly which we are not able to. There will never be a cure unless the late deafened or the late disabled person can get the benefit of being back to normal again. It is just wishful thinking unless there is some miracle for the late deafened. :roll: That is why we call it "Audism" when normal hearing or able body person does not get it at all. :(

It just bug me that every normal hearing and able body person keep trying to fix me and every one of us to make us be like them. I am sooo sick of this attitude of thinking that hearing aids or CIs would help us to hear clearly which we are not able to. There will never be a cure unless the late deafened or the late disabled person can get the benefit of being back to normal again. It is just wishful thinking unless there is some miracle for the late deafened. :roll: That is why we call it "Audism" when normal hearing or able body person does not get it at all. :(

Sometimes, I wonder if people are just clueless and use mental shortcuts when thinking about a complex problem.

Hearies think that glasses apply to HAs and CIs too. Glasses are some of the most simple and useful inventions in the world, but the neural circuitry of the auditory system is complex. Glasses almost always work but HAs and CIs only work sometimes.

I am not hearing, but I like my HAS even if they are not making me
"back to normal again".
I just like be able to hear anything with them
as much or as little -depends how you look at it - as they can offer.

Is that bad?

Fuzzy

There will never be a cure unless the late deafened or the late disabled person can get the benefit of being back to normal again. It is just wishful thinking unless there is some miracle for the late deafened. :roll: That is why we call it "Audism" when normal hearing or able body person does not get it at all. :(

Also, I am very confused about the term "normal".

I thought there is nor such thing as "normal" when it comes to the deaf -
for deaf is normal?

There was so many arguments about this term "normal", even recently.

Fuzzy

for deaf is normal?

Fuzzy

Normal is the new Yesterday! Oh wait, maybe I should not be drinking and posting! :giggle:

for deaf is normal?

Fuzzy

See. You don't get it, even if you are hard of hearing. Wow. :shock:

See. You don't get it, even if you are hard of hearing. Wow. :shock:

Bebonang, you used the so-called "taboo" word "normal" which is what, I think, audiofuzzy was trying to point out or figure out why you used that word:

"...when normal hearing or able body person does not get it at all."

Why not just call a person as a hearing person? But you focused on the word "normal" for "normal hearing."

Last edited:

that perfect post!!!! i agreeing with you. hearing think deaf like bad sickness. deaf not able hear not bad thing. you not needing ci, HA, speech therapy, etc if you happy satisfy with yourself. not needing cure deafness. it wonderful thing this world have deaf community and deafs culture. my opinion, i think deaf not need be call handicap or disable. bec deaf can do anything same hearings people. lack of hearing not preventing you from do anything except hears. hearing need get more education about deaf cultures and STOP SHOW pitying to us. it annoy!!!! we already fine and we not need pity parties. we already happy and hearing think deaf not normal, but that not true bec we NOT discapable of do anything.

also hearing need STOP telling deaf "why not try hearing aid or cochlear implant". that deaf personal decision choices. it very rude!!!!! leave deaf alone, some deaf want hear some dont. that is their decision. some hearing people is pissing me off try control on deaf life, they act like dictator HITLER. they needing fuck off and staying out our business.

MIL asked son this morning if he felt weird having a hearing loss and didn't he really want to have HA's or CI's. His response? "I am not broken. I do not need to be fixed. I am like any other so-called normal person. Everyone has their own little or big synchronicities, (sp?) and that makes each of us unique in our own way. I have a hearing loss, I am not abnormal and I am not broken. I will thanks you to remember that and not bug me again Nana!" She was taken aback by his speech and then complimented on his use of words. She then let me know that I did a good job raising him. :shock: I just about fell over since she does not pay very many compliments at all.

Bebonang, you used the so-called "taboo" word "normal" which is what, I think, audiofuzzy was trying to point out or figure out why you used that word:

Why not just call a person as a hearing person? But you focused on the word "normal" for "normal hearing."

Exactly. That's why I asked.

One person says "normal hearing" and gets aggressively bashed in the head
for it, another says the very same thing and nothing happens.
Go figure.

Fuzzy

Exactly. That's why I asked.

One person says "normal hearing" and gets aggressively bashed in the head
for it, another says the very same thing and nothing happens.
Go figure.

Fuzzy

The word "normal" is a word that is usually used to describe the majority. Most of us prefer not to use that word because it indicates that anyone that is not in the majority is "abnormal". Just keep in mind that its so common to use the word normal that people use it without thinking.

I too was born deaf in a hearing family, raised oral and mainstreamed. I too, since discovering AllDeaf and the Deaf Community have embraced my Deafness. Old habits die hard, but determination will win out in the end.

Hi! My name is steve.

I am new to AD and I am not deaf, but hoh. I have been for several years and my hearing is getting worse. I am 42 and have been trying to learn (study) ASL, but I am hit with alot of resistance from those around me. They don't understand why I want to bother to learn and not just get hearing aids. I am and always have Been interested in ASL and deaf culture and think it is a beautiful thing. I can't put myself in a deaf persons shoes but I grew up beside a deaf family and they were my close friends. They taught me to have alot of respect for the deaf culture and people. I'm glad that I'm not normal.

The word "normal" is a word that is usually used to describe the majority. Most of us prefer not to use that word because it indicates that anyone that is not in the majority is "abnormal". Just keep in mind that its so common to use the word normal that people use it without thinking.

Really?

I'd swear it only depends on WHO uses that word.
because if I use it without thinking .............................

but what do I know, hmmm :hmm:

Fuzzy

I have no issue with my deafness, nor is it a barrier for me. I really wish my hearing aid would come in clear plastic so I can show off the inner workings, though! My best friend had that before, and it was cool! Maybe that's just because I am a nerd :P

I want that too!

When you are debating something and use the word "normal" just be prepared to be picked apart. Just saying.

Back