Why everyone have to hate people with CI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "apparent hatred" re: Cochlear Implants is because it has -for some/many deaf persons the ability to "hear electronic sounds".( Assuming no physical problem which can conterindicated its use). Deaf Militants seem to carry this angry on?
A Hearing aid as such only amplifies sound -making it louder which has no effect on deaf persons. Thus no anger by the "deaf".

Given the improvements of Cochlear Implants over the last 30 years- with the increase of persons using it- with the consequent decrease of persons going into "cultural deaf groups"-thus anger towards Cochlear Implants. Is it a surprise?The huge uproar in the early 90s- re Harlan Lane's assertion: Instrument of "genocide to the cultural deaf".

Duly noted in Michael Chorost's book: Rebulit and Beverley Biderman's book: Wired for Sound.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I personally dont remember hating other deaf people without implants.

But you guys and your so called "medical field" is somewhat bull. People get CI cause they want to hear other than being told that ASL is dying; even though that not true cause a lot of deaf people will learn asl no matter if they can hear through CI or not. People with CI will eventually get to a point where they will learn and speak english, thats all.

I personally dont feel the need to learn ASl yet since I have a hearing tool.

I just dont get the scare of losing ASL, its not going away any time soon

Since you become a member on AD. Have you ever thought of showing some interests in meeting the AD peeps "get together"? Like Some of us had already got together last year. IF YOU DO... *hint* Just giving you a head up as above in your own sentence. *bolded*

Ug... CI people suck! They are like not even fully human. They remind me of the Borg. All they want to do is to hear!! They babble on and on about hearing birds and toilet flushing and how it makes them happy. Ugg... get a life.

They even have a lump on their head!!! YUCK!!! It turns me off.

Ug... CI people suck! They are like not even fully human. They remind me of the Borg. All they want to do is to hear!! They babble on and on about hearing birds and toilet flushing and how it makes them happy. Ugg... get a life.

They even have a lump on their head!!! YUCK!!! It turns me off.[/QUOTE

No skin off my back if that's how you feel.. Sadly those of us who choose to hear don't degrade those who chose not to... but whatever float's your boat!

For the record. I have a life and I love it 100% more now than how I enjoyed it never being able to hear anything for 10 years!

They even have a lump on their head!!! YUCK!!! It turns me off.[/QUOTE

No skin off my back if that's how you feel.. Sadly those of us who choose to hear don't degrade those who chose not to... but whatever float's your boat!

For the record. I have a life and I love it 100% more now than how I enjoyed it never being able to hear anything for 10 years!

She is joking. lol since she has one.

I never met anyone hates CI. All Deaf I met are fine with CI. They only disagree and dislike professionals who involved with CI tell parents of Deaf children to go speech only and do not ever sign to their child. That is the only problem. Lot of Deaf adults and kids got CI.

Over years, I sold bikes to 3 different people who had CI. I never bothered to ask because I didn't care. However, I sold a black 1983 Schwinn World to someone who had CI yestersday. I asked a lot of questions about CI because I was interested. She was very happy to babble on and on about what a great thing CI is.

So I am telling you, don't be afraid to ask about CI. You'll be surprised at what you hear.

no no no hate is the most powerful word. You do love yourself. ;)

*sounds happy*

I'd think "murder" or "fuck" or "eviscerate" could be more powerful words than hate. Certainly more powerful verbs when actually performed, lol.

They even have a lump on their head!!! YUCK!!! It turns me off.

a lot of people take things too serious here, i see. :giggle:

CI is a direct threat to the deaf culture as a whole. If the hearing medical community had their way (in which they are, very slowly), they'd be committing a deaf genocide, destroying ASL and deaf culture all together.

Just my two cents....

CIs have been around for 20 years....Deaf Culture is still alive and thriving. Explain that.:wave:

ASL will be there for years but deaf culture won't be the same future or fading out.
HELLO!!! Culture changes! Sure we don't have a lot of little kids heading off to the State res schools any more....but little dhh kids still learn ASL.

In my opinion, I don't think the deaf culture and ASL is dying. I'll explain why.
Most people whom I know, knows ASL and has a CI, they still are involved with the deaf community. I'm trying to get more involved with my deaf community, its hard because i have a busy schedule because of band. (i know i use that sentence alot) I still use ASL even though I have 2 CI's. Here's what I'm talking about:

Even though I have CI's, I still rely on ASL, as well as an interpreter, and lipreading. My Implants arent good in a noisy environment for me (or any other deaf person with HA's or CI's) And I use ASL to communicate with my parents. I even taught some of my friends in the band how to sign so they can communicate with me if they needed too, like giving me the instructions that are given from the band directors, or telling me whats going on in a conversation. I still use my visual sense when it comes to being in a hearing world/ deaf world. In the hearing world, i use the vibrations and i use my eyes alot because I can't always rely on my CI's because you don't know what things you're going to be able to hear or what you can hear. I lip read a lot, and in some ways, i'm alot like evelyn glennie. Shes a deaf percussionist over in germany (i think) and she uses her bare feets to keep in tempo. I'm also a deaf percussionist, I mainly play the marimba. I'm positioned behind the drumset so i can feel the vibrations to be able to stay within the tempo. We also have a visual "prep" in our section (which is the front ensemble or otherwise known as the "pit") which means our mallets go up and down in a clear visual for us to know when our turn is coming, and we have to look into the middle alot to make sure that we're playing the right thing, and so on.

I understand that there are some Deaf people not liking the CI's. I know some things that people who recently got a CI are JUST starting to hear things that are important to them because its a big impact on their lives. But I think that when i think of CI's, they're meant to help people, not take away their identity or being mainstreamed,etc. I mean, When i take my Ci's off, i'm still a deaf person on the inside. It doesn't matter if i have a CI or not, I'm still a deaf person and that part of me is my identity. When I was 8 years old I got my first CI on my left ear. Many people think that parents force their kids to have a CI because they want them to hear and to have a better life. Truth is, Parents wants whats best for their kids. I mean they're not your kids, its theirs. And when I got my first CI, I made the decision to have one. As well as my 2nd CI too. A lot of schools wants deaf students to be very oral, which is true because i guess its because of reputation? i'm not sure, but that part, my parents forced me to have intensive speech therapy at age 4. But lets look at the pros to that: 1) with Ci's and HA's and intensitive speech therapy, I can help communicate between both worlds, because i'm fluent in ASL and i had alot of speech therapy. I can help the hearing world understand better about the deaf world, I can support the deaf world by voicing out to the hearing world. Honestly, i think all this CI drama is about teaching the Hearing world what we believe and know.

sorry that this post is long, I just wanted to voice out my opinion. I understand that there are going to be people not agreeing with me, but i mean i'm only 17 years old, a junior in high school, and I'll tell you this, I have been interviewed so many times by BOA, WGI and in a drumline documentary and I have talked about my deaf community and I was also signing as well. SO they KNOW that the deaf community is still an important part of my life. Because guess what? I'll be deaf for the rest of my life. And even though I'm not in the deaf community alot, I'm proud of it and our accomplishment from what we have done over the past years in history.

CI is a direct threat to the deaf culture as a whole. If the hearing medical community had their way (in which they are, very slowly), they'd be committing a deaf genocide, destroying ASL and deaf culture all together.

Just my two cents....

Yizman, please read my post. It explains my opinion of the CI's argument. Ci's are NOT destroying ASL or the deaf culture. My hearing friends are in my support about ASL and the deaf culture, why you ask? because I remember going to a football game, and there was hearing kids who were the opposing team making fun of me about my CI's and was planning on breaking it in front of me and alot of my band friends heard the opposing team doing that and basically told them to screw off and not mess with me and they tried taking my CI away from me and we tried going to the cop and they did nothing and we ended up calling the police station and well lets say we got a solution that night with the cop situation. But my point is, CI's or not, ASL and the deaf culture is not being destroyed. I mean look at it this way, there are still many Deaf--with a capital D, who are still very fluent in ASL, still very proud of the deaf community, and will do whatever it takes to help out with each other. and deaf people--with a little d, are wanting to learn sign language and even though they may have CI's or Ha's they still find some way to get involved with the deaf community. Maybe they don't know a deaf person. I have speech therapy with a girl whose a freshman, with 2 CI's, very oral, no knowledge of ASL, but met a deaf person--me. And she asks me a bunch of questions about ASL, the deaf community, etc. But you have to realize that CI's were meant to help people not take their identity away or make parents force their kids to have a CI just so they can be like them. There are going to be times where we will get teased just because of CI's. Well before CI's I had HA's, and i got made fun of. People get made fun of all the time. And we learned to deal with it and move on. That's what we're suppose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back