dvd player that will show closed captioning

pixiestix

Reaction score
Hi! I am in need of a new dvd player, not fancy or anything just simple one.

My dvd player (Magnavox) died ... (won't play) ... and it did support closed captioning. My first DVD (JVC) wouldn't work with closed captioned so that was why I bought another dvd.

So what brands of dvd players will support closed captioning?

Thanks!

I've never had one that didn't support CC'd movies. Some movies don't have captioning. Usually (I think) it's the television where you set the captioning. We've taken to watching more and more movies on the PlayStation with subtitles.

I use Magnavox. It's small, square-shaped, simple, very light, and very cheap.

Go to Walmart. They should have a lot of those in stock... $30 or something. :)

They all support CC now - though if you use component cables (red, yellow, green, blue, red, white), and some other types of cable the captioning will not work. I'm 99% sure that S-video cables will work with closed caption and composite (the red, white & yellow cable). I don't know if HDMI cables will let CC through or not ?

Also if you have it connected through other equipment this will sometimes "eat" the captions so it's best it you plug the DVD directly into TV.

I found this out when I got a DVD player that i thought didn't work with CC - but it true out it was the cables that let the CC through, or stopped CC!!

CC doesn't work

I just received the Phillips 5990 today and the cc does not work via HDMI. Went through all the menu setups and made sure it was on but no go. Will keep looking for a dvd player that will have cc via HDMI.

I just received the Phillips 5990 today and the cc does not work via HDMI. Went through all the menu setups and made sure it was on but no go. Will keep looking for a dvd player that will have cc via HDMI.

That sucks!

I think it's actaully physically impossible to have CC with HDMI

The reason is that CC is an analog signal and HDMI, Component etc are digital signals.

If you want to view CC on dvd you'll need to connect it using composite (the "old red, white & yellow cables) or s-video.

I think it's actaully physically impossible to have CC with HDMI

The reason is that CC is an analog signal and HDMI, Component etc are digital signals.

If you want to view CC on dvd you'll need to connect it using composite (the "old red, white & yellow cables) or s-video.

It is not impossible. I am currently watching my tv with HDMI and ATT Uverse and it overlays the caption and I am able to view it.

It just is hard to find a DVD player that has decoder built in.

It is not impossible. I am currently watching my tv with HDMI and ATT Uverse and it overlays the caption and I am able to view it.

It just is hard to find a DVD player that has decoder built in.

Anji meant it's impossible for the TV to decode it through the HDMI cable.

HDMI connections do NOT pass on ANALOG CC data

As most of you by now know, although many standard (and Blu-Ray) dvds offer subtitles, most ALL of them offer more detailed Closed Captioning. But here's the problem with Closed Captioning on modern dvd players:

The traditional, "analog" CC encoding scheme was designed for older, ANALOG devices and connections. Thus, when you have a dvd player that's connected to your tv via the newer HDMI connection and you play a standard (non-Blu-Ray or HD) dvd on it, you will NOT be able to view the disk's closed captioning - REGARDLESS of what you set the dvd player's output resolution to. Period. (Blu-Ray and/or HD dvds use a newer CC design that HDMI *will* correctly display on your tv).

Some - *but not all* - dvd players *will* correctly pass on the CC data to your tv if they are connected via the "component" connectors even if you set your dvd player to "upconvert" to something higher than 480i; others will not.

ALL dvd players will pass on the CC data to your tv if connected via the old composite or S-video video connectors.

So you see, the problem is NOT with "upconversion" per se - it's with the HDMI connection, plain and simple.

Sad, but true... we can "thank" the designers of HDMI for this mess. It STINKS, and stinks BIG-TIME.:mad:

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Epix (i907))

I have a Philips silver dvd player that I picked up last year for 25 bucks on sale. CC works great with it on a old hospital crt TV.

I've been using a Sony DVD progressive scan player with HDMI connection to Sony 40 inch Bravia LCD TV and the captions work great for the past 4 or so years

I've been using a Sony DVD progressive scan player with HDMI connection to Sony 40 inch Bravia LCD TV and the captions work great for the past 4 or so years

Are you 100% sure you are talking about Close Captions (black background, white text?) ... and not subtitles (text overlayed on the screen with no background colour???

Is it the tv itself? I don't have a dvd player. I do have my laptop connected to my LG lcd hd tv and captioning works fine.
Maybe its an issue with a dvd and an older (NOT HD) TV?

Back