Votes: 7 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 48 77.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I dont care

Votes: 2 3.2%

• Total voters
Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.

That is actually one of the topics I'm considering for my thesis, though it wouldn't be my first choice.

Hey, even at public schools, I had girls trying to experiment with me. I dont know if there is a correlation between dorm life and same sex-experiment. A study is needed to find proof of that. I really cant answer that cuz I never experimented dorm life so only those who has can answer that.

I think that varies with the schools across the country. One way to try to reduce this problem is to elevate the qualifications of personnel who work/oversee students during off-school hours on a 24 hour facility.

I think there will always be kids who need to go to Deaf schools, and there will always be ones who want to. As long as there are kids enrolled, don't shut them down.

Same here. Same-sex experimentation may be more frequent in dorms but it definitely happens in public/private high schools! Don't even get me started in college.....

(btw..... what's wrong with same sex experimentation? :) )

Same here. Same-sex experimentation may be more frequent in dorms but it definitely happens in public/private high schools! Don't even get me started in college.....

(btw..... what's wrong with same sex experimentation? :) )

Right...I was thinking the same. :dunno:

Maybe there are more opportunities in the dorms but that means that the staff arent watching the kids carefully and they shouldnt be working as dorm counselors in the first place. The job requires commitment from people to stay on top of things.

I think that varies with the schools across the country. One way to try to reduce this problem is to elevate the qualifications of personnel who work/oversee students during off-school hours on a 24 hour facility.

Exactly! I am in 100% support of that.

Can I ask what the stats are on sexual (or any for that matter) abuse in dorms?

I am not sure..that's why I am so happy stricter policies have been passed so better training and workshops can be provided and again, if any staff who arent on top of things shouldnt be working in the dorms at all. I would love to kick any staff's butt and then throwing them in jail for allowing any abuse to happen while knowing about it. ugh!

Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.
Yes, but not everyone has a healthy family dynamic or lives in a safe area. Heck.....not everyone lives in a school district that gives dhh folks good accomondations.....

Yes I think they should. I am happy that I had the chance to spend my childhood in my home with my family.

I think there should be deaf programs with qualified teachers of the deaf in every district as a requirement by law, so all deaf students could be day students but still get a good education accessable to them.

FYI..a majority of the students who attend many deaf schools do not live at the dorms. Heck, there are even many deaf schools that dont have dorms like Phoenix Day School for the Deaf, to name one.

I do not believe all deaf schools will shut down in future. Whosoever supports closing all deaf schools down is a utterly fool, very pathetic thought. :roll:

FYI..a majority of the students who attend many deaf schools do not live at the dorms. Heck, there are even many deaf schools that dont have dorms like Phoenix Day School for the Deaf, to name one.

OIC I guess I should have said big state warehouse that just get rid of people to make it more convenient for their parents.

Day schools would be great, in the home district. That is what I would like to see.

The problem with student residental facilities is that it encourages experiments in same-sex relationships.

Do students in public schools or other private schools not do the same things?

I do agree that there needs to be more aggressive background checks to prevent sex offenders from working at deaf institutions.

I'm sorry, I misspoke. I meant it encourages same-sex experimentation among the students.

I believe its known as "institutional homsexuality".

Anytime you have large populations of same sex individuals, i.e. prisons. You will run into individuals having sexual relations with other members due to physical needs. On visitation day---all the guys are 'lovey-dovey' with their wives/girlfriends.

Only if they knew what happens behind closed bars......

Do students in public schools or other private schools not do the same things?

I do agree that there needs to be more aggressive background checks to prevent sex offenders from working at deaf institutions.

I agree!

I voted "not sure" because there's has been majority of deaf children who experienced sexual, emotional and physical abuses in the state residential schools for the deaf and disabled children are at a higher risk of being abused I haven't seen any improvements and I wonder why hasn’t anyone such as the school staffs, teachers, dorm workers etc stopped this, also the schools are often far away from where their parents lives.

I voted "not sure" because there's has been majority of deaf children who experienced sexual, emotional and physical abuses in the state residential schools for the deaf and disabled children are at a higher risk of being abused I haven't seen any improvements and I wonder why hasn’t anyone such as the school staffs, teachers, dorm workers etc stopped this, also the schools are often far away from where their parents lives.

Majority? :shock:

i would agree with shel90's comment

i dont think deaf school would shut down!

i knew Nebraska deaf school got shutdown dues reasons

but im glad my old school never shut down in Kansas

Majority? :shock:

A seminal study on sexual abuse conducted in the mid-1980s found that deaf and hard of hearing children appear to be abused at rates significantly higher than hearing children, and that this abuse often happens in homes, buses or residential school settings

50% percent of deaf girls have been sexually abused as compared to 25% of hearing girls

54% of deaf boys have been sexually abused as compared to 10% of hearing boys

source

Back