Nextalk.net is not the same as NexTalk ACCESS

gtanner

Reaction score
I believe there is still confusion about the ACCESS software program and nextalk.net.

Many years ago NexTalk, inc worked with another company called URrelay. We assisted them in putting together a software program that they, as a relay company, could use to provide services to the deaf and hard of hearing. The then CEO of NexTalk agreed to let URrelay use the NexTalk name. Unfortunately, that decision has resulted in a lot of confusion about who is who and what is what.

The nextalk.net software program was offered by URrelay. The relay features of that program no longer work because, at the time the software was launched, URrelay was not licensed by the FCC to provide relay services. Based on their website (nextalk.net) it appears that URrelay is trying to get a license from the FCC. If you have been using the nextalk.net software, then you will need to convert to the ACCESS software if you want full functionality

The ACCESS software program is from NexTalk, Inc. Our program includes 9 different communication options, including relay for both text and video, as well as TTY, VCO, HCO, messaging, chat and even incoming faxes. NexTalk has partnered with several different companies that are licensed by the FCC to provide relay service. When an ACCESS subscriber chooses a text or relay option on their ACCESS software, the program is connecting them directly to these FCC approved companies and they are providing the relay service to the caller. NexTalk has built a software bridge that connects a networked based call (a call coming from your PC, laptop, windows tablet or "coming soon" an Andriod or iOS tablet or smartphone) to the telephone system of these FCC authorized relay providers. This means that you no longer need to use a phone to initiate a text relay call or a provider specific camera to initiate a video relay call.

One of the unique features of ACCESS is that it is a networked based solution, not a telephony (telephone) based solution. So that means that as we add the mobile functionality next summer (Android and iOS), that you could initiate a video phone call, video relay call, or text relay call from anywhere you can see a network, be it a local network or phone network (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc.). As a network solution, you are no longer tied to a telephone cord or a LAN connection in your home or office.

For additional information on the nextalk.net program from URrelay, see www.nextalk.net

For additonal information on the ACCESS program from NexTalk, inc., see www.nextalk.com

One other thing that is of importance with our platform and software. NexTalk built this system from the ground up. The source code used in our communication platform and in the ACCESS software program was written by NexTalk and is patented. When we created the platform, we decided that any saved conversation or dialog between the two parties would not be saved as standard ASCII text, it would be saved as code. This means that if someone was able to hack the server and harvest the files, or hack your computer at home, they would not be able to read the files. All they would see is code. This adds an enormous amount of security to your conversations.

Last edited:
Interesting. Well you be issuing 10 digit phone numbers or ???

Southpaw - Thank you for the question. NexTalk, Inc. does issue a 10 digit number to ACCESS subscribers. This allows the ACCESS communication platform to be an open platform. Meaning that unlike closed platforms like Facebook and twitter (you have to have a Facebook account to interact with another Facebook user), an ACCESS user can still communicate with non-ACCESS parties.

So Will that number also work as standard SMS MMS number also

Southpaw - Right now the number assigned to the ACCESS subscriber is just for the ACCESS software program. Although we could open it up to other applications.

Your question about standard SMS and MMs texting is a great one. We looked at what it would take to integrate SMS or MMS texting into our program, we started working on gateways (Jabber) that would allow us to integrate with standard SMS texting functionality. However, at the risk of sounding boastful, I think our texting function is better for the deaf and hard of hearing community. Why?

Well, standard SMS texting on cell phones is compose and send. Anyone who has used this know exactly what I am talking about. The texting feature built-in to the ACCESS program is full-duplex. This means that you see key-stroke for key-stroke. Why do I think that is better?

As logical intelligent beings, we have the ability to discern what someone is saying while they are in the process of saying it. And because we can discern with a great level of accuracy what someone is saying before they finish saying it, it gives us time to formulate our response. This speeds up the communication process. Our texting provides the same benefit. You will see every key-stroke of the person typing you a message as they are typing it, giving you a head start on thinking about your response. This is consistent with what a deaf person experience when they are signing to each other. Instant recognition of whats being said, not waiting until the other person is done signing before you get to see it.

I realize that this may seem somewhat trivial, but it really does improve the communication experience and speeds it up. We included this feature in our VISn deaf communication VRI software program for Hospitals and it has become one of the favorite features of the hospital staff.

Now having said all that, if our subscribers tell us that they would prefer integration into existing SMS platforms, then we will do that as well.

Well SMS would be for texting with other hearing people or Deaf that do not use your app. Some People only have dumb phones and can't use downloadable apps either

Well SMS would be for texting with other hearing people or Deaf that do not use your app. Some People only have dumb phones and can't use downloadable apps either

Agreed. I would obviously like it if the siblings, parents and friends of a deaf person used the ACCESS software to communicate with their deaf loved ones, but at the end of the day, providing a simple, effective and secure communication platform for the Deaf and hard of hearing is more important.

But we are seeing subscribers who are having family and friends also get the software so they can communicate with each other in a simple fashion. And that is great, because that's what we want ACCESS to be. A communication platform for the Deaf and Hard of hearing...and anyone who communicates with them.

We have a business Edition of ACCESS so that Insurance agents, dentist, chiropractors, day care centers, hair stylists, auto mechanics, etc. can effectively and easily communicate with their deaf customers. We created an Education Edition so that schools can quickly and efficiently communicate with deaf parents and guardians.

We are working on a dedicated system for law enforcement officers, paramedics, EMTS, firefighters and other safety personnel which will enable effective communication when they interact with a Deaf or Hard of hearing person.

Thanks for clearing that up.. I had wondered when I did my google search earlier and figured they were not the same group. the .com site looked more fleshed out so figured that was the one being discussed here at AD. the .net one didn't have much and I am not even sure the service/product is still active.

Do hearing people and people need to install ACCESS software to text or talk to me?

like. Do my co-workers have to install software or change something on their phones?

Do hearing people and people need to install ACCESS software to text or talk to me?
like. Do my co-workers have to install software or change something on their phones?

bmxer....If you want to use all the features on ACCESS, then yes, it would be best if your family and friends had the software as well. The TTY feature of ACCESS will work with any TTY device and we are working with groups like Purple and Sorenson, etc. to make the video phone feature work with all VRS providers.

My father-in-law is deaf. Before I came to work for NexTalk, I watched as dad struggled to be involved with the family. His ability to communicate and participate was so limited. I love my father-in-law, and it broke my heart. I left my 20 year career in home automation and home control to come to NexTalk in part because I was hoping that i could do or find something that would help my father-in-law. He raised an amazing daughter who became my wife, how could I ever repay him for that.

NexTalk developed the ACCESS Communication Platform specifically for the deaf and those they communicate with. Today, Dad has our program, as do all his kids, his siblings, his insurance agent, his doctor, his dentist, his optometrist, his mechanic, the guy that does his taxes and the lady that cuts his hair. This has been life changing for dad. His ability to communicate with those in his life is so much better than it was before. That's why we do this. I am not the only one here at NexTalk with Deaf family, most of us have family members who are deaf or have experienced sever hearing loss.

NexTalk was founded in 1990 by three engineers, one of which (Ron) was deaf. It has always been our goal to improve communication for the deaf and hard of hearing. Thank you to those who have subscribed to the ACCESS Communication platform. It means so much to us.

Gary Tanner
CEO NexTalk

Back