TTY alternatives for non ASL speaker?

purplemutant

Reaction score
I am not hearing impaired and I don't know ASL. I am autistic and have some issues making phone calls. When dealing with things I prefer email or online forms. However sometimes that isn't possible. For example if I want to deal with the social security administration I can't just send them an email. I would have to call or go into the office. For situations like that I have looked into TTY's. I picked up a Q90 on ebay a while back. However I recently found out that it wont work with my cell phone since it's not digital. So I hopped back on ebay and picked up a Q90D. Well that one doesn't seem to be working. Before dropping any more money on TTY's I am wondering if there are any good alternatives. Like I said, I don't know ASL. So a video relay service would do me no good. Text messaging is great; but I can't send a text message to my bank. For "official" stuff they always seem to want a phone call. So are there any good alternatives to a TTY for my situation? Or is a TTY the best option?

Also, why the hell isn't there a TTY app for smart phones? They have apps for damn near everything else. So why should I have to buy a separate piece of hardware instead of downloading an app. I guess it comes down to profit. A $300 TTY is more profitable than a cheap/free app.

There are apps out there for cell phones. But . . . they assume that hearing is the problem and you must be able to talk for your side of the conversation.

Not sure if this is what you have one hand or not.
http://shop.clarityproducts.com/pro...atible-combination-tty-vco/?cat=ttys-and-vcos
If so, check the manual. You should have gotten one with the unit or you can download one in PDF format from the site just referenced. One thing to watch out for is that a setting on your phone has to be checked and probably changed. You cannot just plug the TTY in. Also the manual says the cell phone cord included is 2.5mm. Today's cell phones use 3.5mm. So you will need a stereo adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm for the end that goes into the cell phone. Check this out before you give up on what you have.

I am not hearing impaired and I don't know ASL. I am autistic and have some issues making phone calls. When dealing with things I prefer email or online forms. However sometimes that isn't possible. For example if I want to deal with the social security administration I can't just send them an email. I would have to call or go into the office. For situations like that I have looked into TTY's. I picked up a Q90 on ebay a while back. However I recently found out that it wont work with my cell phone since it's not digital. So I hopped back on ebay and picked up a Q90D. Well that one doesn't seem to be working. Before dropping any more money on TTY's I am wondering if there are any good alternatives. Like I said, I don't know ASL. So a video relay service would do me no good. Text messaging is great; but I can't send a text message to my bank. For "official" stuff they always seem to want a phone call. So are there any good alternatives to a TTY for my situation? Or is a TTY the best option?

Also, why the hell isn't there a TTY app for smart phones? They have apps for damn near everything else. So why should I have to buy a separate piece of hardware instead of downloading an app. I guess it comes down to profit. A $300 TTY is more profitable than a cheap/free app.

Purple.... Look at the NexTalk ACCESS program. It will give you the ability to do TTY calls (and 8 other communication options) on your windows computer, windows laptop or windows based tablet. In about 6 months, we will be expanding it to Android and iOS as well, so you can use it on your smart phone.

Not sure if this is what you have one hand or not.
http://shop.clarityproducts.com/pro...atible-combination-tty-vco/?cat=ttys-and-vcos
If so, check the manual. You should have gotten one with the unit or you can download one in PDF format from the site just referenced. One thing to watch out for is that a setting on your phone has to be checked and probably changed. You cannot just plug the TTY in. Also the manual says the cell phone cord included is 2.5mm. Today's cell phones use 3.5mm. So you will need a stereo adapter from 2.5mm to 3.5mm for the end that goes into the cell phone. Check this out before you give up on what you have.

Yea thats the TTY I have. I have the cable + adapter and the phone was in TTY mode. I suspect the TTY isn't working right. Sometimes it shows funny characters on the screen instead of boxes. I can pass off the audio to whatever phone I am calling. However the TTY never registers that the call went though and Baudot code doesn't sound right. So a properly functioning TTY may be the answer. But I am interested in possible alternatives before buying another TTY.

Purple.... Look at the NexTalk ACCESS program. It will give you the ability to do TTY calls (and 8 other communication options) on your windows computer, windows laptop or windows based tablet. In about 6 months, we will be expanding it to Android and iOS as well, so you can use it on your smart phone.

I don't use windows. So at least for now that isn't an option. Also, NexTalk requires a monthly fee. I would rather not have to pay a monthly fee. I would only use the service once in a while. So I don't want to pay a fee for something I hardly use. But I will keep NexTalk in mind as a possible option.

We have a program here in California where you can get a (I assume free) TTY. However that would require getting a doctor to fill out a form. I am not sure I want to go though all the hassle. But it might be worth a shot. I am just concerned that I might have trouble convincing a doctor that I need a TTY. We shouldn't have to deal with a doctor to get a free TTY. How many people without phone disabilities have any clue what a TTY is? Let along try to scam the state into buying them one?

I don't use windows. So at least for now that isn't an option. Also, NexTalk requires a monthly fee. I would rather not have to pay a monthly fee. I would only use the service once in a while. So I don't want to pay a fee for something I hardly use. But I will keep NexTalk in mind as a possible option.

We have a program here in California where you can get a (I assume free) TTY. However that would require getting a doctor to fill out a form. I am not sure I want to go though all the hassle. But it might be worth a shot. I am just concerned that I might have trouble convincing a doctor that I need a TTY. We shouldn't have to deal with a doctor to get a free TTY. How many people without phone disabilities have any clue what a TTY is? Let along try to scam the state into buying them one?

Purple. Check and see if there is a state run relay service in California. In Utah, its called Relay Utah and citizens in the state of Utah can turn to them for subsidized communication products. My father in law is deaf and he used them to get a caption phone...which he hates (he uses the ACCESS software now). It might be worth looking into whether or not you can get help from the state to get a device. Best of luck.

Purple. Check and see if there is a state run relay service in California. In Utah, its called Relay Utah and citizens in the state of Utah can turn to them for subsidized communication products. My father in law is deaf and he used them to get a caption phone...which he hates (he uses the ACCESS software now). It might be worth looking into whether or not you can get help from the state to get a device. Best of luck.

Yea we do have that here in Californa. So I can get a subsidize TTY. The only reason I haven't bothered is because I don't want the hassle of dealing with a doctor. Since I am not deaf and can speak I have assumed it would be extra hard for me to qualify for a free TTY. But I don't know. I will have to email my doctor to see if she will fill out the form. It might be less hassle than I anticipate.

I have a friend who had a hell of a time getting medicaid to pay for his wheelchair because he is capable of walking. So I have just assumed I would have a similar experience in regards to a TTY.

I think I will go ahead and email my doctor and see what she says.

Thanks.

Back