Equal-Access Technology

aslresearchers

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Andrew and I'm a researcher from Columbia University in collaboration with UC Berkeley. We are researching assistive technologies used by the deaf community. If you would take the time to answer a few questions for us, it would help us improve access to services for the Deaf. Thank you, and we look forward to getting to know everyone!

1. Is it common for Deaf people to find themselves in situations where they would want an interpreter but don’t have access to one?

2. How do you navigate situations that require communicating with hearing people, such as checking into a hotel or boarding an airplane?

3. If you were to wear something that could interpret for you in simple situations, would you use it frequently or infrequently throughout the day?

UC Berkley has a pretty good Deaf Studies program, I'm surprised they don't even know the answers to basic questions.
Ask yourself this. You travel to a foreign country, how do you communicate in above situations? Most of this communication is highly contextualized. You better know what that means if you are a "language researcher" So we know many of the questions before they are even asked. Non-linguistic communication is commonly used in these situations.
Free "same room" mobile Video phone apps is what it sounds like you are asking for. This is currently illegal use of VRS according to FCC rules. Who will fund Mobile VRI?
You do know most deaf people like most heading people can read and write in these basic situations too.

I already "wear"a device that does this. My smartphone, tablet, boogie board writing pad or a simple old school pen and paper

Back