Would this be of interest to you?

gtanner

Reaction score
Morning all, I was working with our product development team the other day and we were discussing new features we could ad to the ACCESS communication software for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.

An idea was floated that I would like your feedback on. if we developed an interface that allowed you to use texting to communicate with fast food companies, would that be of interest to you.

Specifically, a place like Wendys or Costa Vida would install a business version of ACCESS in their stores, when you arrived there, you could launch your ACCESS app on your phone and start a text conversation with them, this could be done either inside the store or while going through the drive through.

Would you use this...or am i stretching? Thanks.

It's possible to use any kind of notepad, paper or digital for writing back and forth. Anything you suggest must be more efficient or/and interesting than that.

Where I live we already have at least one restaurant where food orders and payment can be done through an mobile app. Usually there are ways to simply select what you wish and maybe type a note.

Do you mean some kind of solution with two keyboards and two screens to read the conversation from? One set for the customer and one for the staff? Well, why not? It's probably not fast enough to be appreciated by the staff, but might work. If I was the designer I would go for something that could be appreciated by most customers, not just deaf. It would be nice if the quality of the communication was as good or perhaps better compared to talking to the staff. Just writing doesn't create the same connection as when talking or signing to someone.

That sort of thing would work for a drive through. Or some kind of touch screen/interactive screen with text. Would give the deaf ease of ordering and the employees less confusion/frustration when a person just pulls right up to the window and gives the order there (nothing wrong with doing that it just takes a little longer).

Back