Caption Bleep

zerodog

Reaction score
I don't know if you guy aware or have answer but somewhat I never knew until one member approach to me. Since I have kid who is hearing and share about the bleep which I wasn't aware.

Whenever I seen the caption show 'bleep' as I expected the sound omit the words of swear sound. The person explain that it will sound like f-bleep-ing up. I was like how come the caption didn't display as hearing people hear the sound and remain us who is Deaf parent aren't aware of it.

I assumed caption is caption.. not missing ... wonder if that has do rest out there who Deaf parent have deal with kids due misbehavior due we overlook what caption from television or what they heard from television.

I am just curious about that part and as FCC allow that caption like that?

It depends on the tv program. Some bleep out the whole word and some sort of "distort" the word. I have seen once or twice that the caption will read **** or "bleep" when then word is actually said out loud. This is more rare, but does happen. In many shows captions will paraphrase as well.
My ex would always tell me how she and her brother would listen to bad music on the radio when they were young teenagers because their parents were deaf and couldnt hear the lyrics.
Its hard to know what you are missing. And its nice that you care about your children and are concerned. Pay attention to ratings on TV programs and movies and youll be able to get an idea of it its age appropriate or not. Always remember that your kids will be out there in the real world and from a farily young age they WILL be exposed to things. They will see and hear things at school and the mall that they are sheltered from at home. Its all just part of growing up. (of course I know this doesnt make up for captions being lacking, but hopefully its a small piece of mind.)

I think it more has to do with the timing of the bleep. I don't think they intentionally let you hear a part of the word. For example the word F*** and the word F***ing. One word is longer and the bleep might not be as long as the word takes to be spoken. So sometimes a letter sound or two might still be heard. But I think they always try to block the entire word. Just sometimes the timing isn't perfect.

Ron Jaxon

I noticed that sometimes a cloud appears over the mouth of the speaker of the bleeped word so even lipreaders are not sure.

I noticed that sometimes a cloud appears over the mouth of the speaker of the bleeped word so even lipreaders are not sure.
I am the same with this one down here come to captioning...it only goes like this " and "(BLEEP) blah blah" and the mouth is covered on what Botts said earlier.

Aren't we deafies entitled to know exactly what is being said on TV ?...why is it blocked out (captions) for the deafies and not for the hearing?

As for children, they hear/see the "F" word all the time....if not at home, then other places. It's as common as the word "s---" (shyt)....

Are we deafies so fragile that it might distort our intellect by reading cuss words? Is this the way the hearing think?..."Better caption it nicely, don't let the deafies see any cuss words"....If they didn't want us to see the "F" word, then it should not have come out of someone's mouth.

I'm not a fan of cussing, and the "F" word, to me is disgusting and I do correct my boys' language at times, even asking them to use the word "Fudge"! if necessary. But the "F" word is not gonna go away.

Aren't we deafies entitled to know exactly what is being said on TV ?...why is it blocked out (captions) for the deafies and not for the hearing?
I thought it was bleeped out for the hearies also?

As for children, they hear/see the "F" word all the time....if not at home, then other places. It's as common as the word "s---" (shyt)....
They do? That's awful. I work out in the world and even I don't hear those words all the time. I hear them more than I want (which would be never) but not all the time.

Are we deafies so fragile that it might distort our intellect by reading cuss words? Is this the way the hearing think?..."Better caption it nicely, don't let the deafies see any cuss words"....If they didn't want us to see the "F" word, then it should not have come out of someone's mouth.
I really thought the audio track was bleeped, too. Is there a difference between broadcast movies and DVD movies? I think they don't bleep the DVD's but they do bleep the movies that are broadcast on TV.

I'm not a fan of cussing, and the "F" word, to me is disgusting and I do correct my boys' language at times, even asking them to use the word "Fudge"! if necessary. But the "F" word is not gonna go away.
We don't even use or encourage euphemisms for vulgar words because everyone knows what words they represent. What's the point?

...My ex would always tell me how she and her brother would listen to bad music on the radio when they were young teenagers because their parents were deaf and couldnt hear the lyrics....
Interesting. I thought profanity was banned on the radio. When I was a teenager, I never heard any bad words on the rock 'n' roll stations. I guess the rules have changed. :dunno:

It really irks me when they do not bleep the expletive but change the captioning. I dunno why, it just does. :roll:

This is a bit off topic, but I have noticed some of the captioning is way off. It'll write what was said 5 seconds before. Is that just because of the person transcribing the spoken language? My son gets confused sometimes because of that. Every now and then I'll stand next to the TV and interpret what's being said so he is privy to what's going on. Does it confuse you guys when that happens, or do you just know that it's in reference to the prior scene?

This is a bit off topic, but I have noticed some of the captioning is way off. It'll write what was said 5 seconds before. Is that just because of the person transcribing the spoken language? My son gets confused sometimes because of that. Every now and then I'll stand next to the TV and interpret what's being said so he is privy to what's going on. Does it confuse you guys when that happens, or do you just know that it's in reference to the prior scene?
Do you mean real-time live captioning (such as news programs)? There's going to be a lag time. For prerecorded programming there shouldn't be a lag.

Well the most recent one was a movie, "Alvin and the Chipmunks the Squeakwel" or however it's spelled. Lame movie, but my little guy liked it. I was surprised at how off it was...

I get so flutered when there is a signifigant lag. I have to either turn of the captions or mute the volume. Having both on gets me severely confused! It is frustruating when something big happens like someone says "Youre pregnant" to a teenage girl and her mom starts crying and then it switches to commercial, and THEN the caption reads "Youre pregnant." Its annoying because youre sitting there wondering why the mom is crying and what on earth is going on.

What do you think is the reason for the delay? Is it because they're live? Or do the prerecorded captions delay also? Is it the technology or just carelessness?

What do you think is the reason for the delay? Is it because they're live? Or do the prerecorded captions delay also? Is it the technology or just carelessness?

Ive seen it both ways. Many pre-recorded shows have delays, spelling or gramatical errors, or signifigant differences from the spoken words. I dont know the cause for it.

I had a curious experience several years ago where the swear words were edited from the audio track but left in the closed captioning!

I had a curious experience several years ago where the swear words were edited from the audio track but left in the closed captioning!

That IS strange because I'm now thinking ,"How did the captioner hear it"? :lol:

That IS strange because I'm now thinking ,"How did the captioner hear it"? :lol:

The captions are "copied and pasted" from one movie to the other.

Like they captioned the original - when they bleep out the audio track, they dont bleep out the caption track.

:)

Ive seen it both ways. Many pre-recorded shows have delays, spelling or gramatical errors, or signifigant differences from the spoken words. I dont know the cause for it.

This is a common problem I have noticed on some TV channels.

Sometimes I am impressed with the captioning during live broadcasts, and at other times I wonder at their accuracy. For example, during the last election, a group of us were watching live news, and my friends told me that the numbers were misquoted in the captioning.

Back