Cochlear Implants: He said it was not worth...

Yeah, that I remember...I know there was one bad batch with AB a few years ago (correct me on this, but I read it up somewhere, just not sure where)...it's been fixed. Sadly, these people had to have surgery the 2nd time.

I am one with the bad batch and will have surgery this month to have it replaced.

After the first surgery 4 year ago which was not fun and I never wanted to experience it again but I like my CI so much that I am willing to go back to surgery to have it replaced.

And it depends on what you mean by "failure"
I actually think that while bilaterals are growing, theyll never be commonplace. There's a population out there that will definitly benifit, (ie they have NO hearing in that ear) but, b/c response to hearing insturments is so variable, I think that it'll be more common to see the CI + HA combo. Also, only the most generous insurance companies will pay for bilaterals, since the improvement really isn't HUGE. (ie increased speech perception) about the only advantages is that they can localize sounds and talk in noisy sitiutions. That's really not too cost effective.

Interesting you said about CI + HA combo. I thought I would be part of that population because I had my CI implanted in my worse ear, and I knew that I could hear a lot better out of my right than my left. So, I have tried doing the CI/HA combo....it doesn't work for me because the HA overpowers the CI due to the fact that my right ear is dominant. If I continue this way, I will NOT get the full benefit of using my CI because I'm not allowing my brain adjust to the CI. Some people it works for them. So, I'm never wearing my right hearing aid again (except maybe a few times to keep my nerves simulated until I want to go bilateral).

Improvements CAN be huge if they go through training. Localization of sounds is not the only advantage. Surgeons and Audiologists is already seeing the benefits from bilaterals. It wasn't considered many years ago. Will anyone with bilaterals correct me on this? I don't know what it's like to have two CIs, but I can tell by the stories that it's "WOW!", and it's not just localization that has improved.

I think it may be more cost effective if surgeons perform bilaterals in one shot instead of two separate surgeries. Now looking back, I do wish that I had two-in-one shot surgery! I haven't really realized how much I could hear already. I would do it again in a heartbeat. :-D

TechBill - I wish you best of luck with your replacement surgery! Great attitude! :-D

And it depends on what you mean by "failure"
I actually think that while bilaterals are growing, theyll never be commonplace. There's a population out there that will definitly benifit, (ie they have NO hearing in that ear) but, b/c response to hearing insturments is so variable, I think that it'll be more common to see the CI + HA combo. Also, only the most generous insurance companies will pay for bilaterals, since the improvement really isn't HUGE. (ie increased speech perception) about the only advantages is that they can localize sounds and talk in noisy sitiutions. That's really not too cost effective.

I am one of the few who did bilateral surgery. I had them done at one time. My insurance was not generous just forced to pay for it. As I have said before it was a fight. It is a huge benefit. Huge. It is not just about localizing sound, it is about hearing the sound. It allows my CIs to work together for sound comprehension. It is almost as if they work together and complete each other. I am not able to go with just one the sound is so different with one it is almost robotic again. With two it is not. My speech preception has greatly improved since activation. In the last three months, my comprehension of individual words has increased so much.

It might have helped that both ears had a downward sloping loss. There was not much hearing to start with. If I can figure out how to post my audiogram, it is easier to see then explain.

You are right it is not cost effective. Let me see my one bilateral surgery cost as much as one CI surgery. The main cost was the implants themselves.

It all depends on the person. My reason behind bilateral surgery was this - two hearings aids so why not 2 cochlear implants. I wanted my good ear to stay my good ear and it wasn't. I also didn't think that I would get as much benefit with just one CI(my pre-surgery view). I felt as a teacher I needed it for classroom managment(localization). Now I just see that for me bilateral is just a huge differences for me.

On the plus side, my battery died yesterday during teaching whole group reading in another classroom. My classroom is located in a portable and my batteries are there. I still had 20 minutes to teach, so I did. I still had the understanding and it went well. The other teacher I teach with did not even know. I just did not skip a beat. The real question is which do I perfer, two without thinking about it.

Contradica - did you understand the video? I'll gladly type it out for you.

Not at all, I got the cochlear implant sign and that was it. I have a general idea what it was about thoughI would greatly appreciate it if you did that! :)

Here you go! Not just for Abbie, but for others as well.

HI, I would like to talk about CI.
you know I have aCI, can you tell?. You think you can figure out?

Hello my name is walter lowell from mich. I was implanted when I was 11 years old. Family and friends told me that I will be hearing. I believed them and told mommy that I want it. Mom said okay. Got surgery. I was excited I could hear sounds. Could I hear the words? No. Just sounds that's all. I could hear phone ringing, I could hear car horn, people screaming, school bell, etc. But words, I umnderstand? No.

One day, the CI was not working, tried to replace battery. Told mom not work. Went to Indianapolis, found that the implant is cracked. Replaced new one. But gave me awful headaches. I put up with it and get used it, but not worth for me for break down. Told mom not work 2nd time.

Not worth for me to go through surgery again. Mom give up, won't go back to surgery again for the 3rd time. You think I enjoy getting surgeries? No fun. I prefer not to use CI. Haven't use CI since.

Thank you, every once in a while I get a headache. by CI. Warning, every deaf CI not to use CI but proud to be yourself. Signing and education and communication is more important than being oral and speaking instead of problems. Bye.

(He did both PSE and ASL, so I'm not exactly good at translating ASL into proper English, but I tried my best.)

Interesting you said about CI + HA combo. I thought I would be part of that population because I had my CI implanted in my worse ear, and I knew that I could hear a lot better out of my right than my left. So, I have tried doing the CI/HA combo....it doesn't work for me because the HA overpowers the CI due to the fact that my right ear is dominant. If I continue this way, I will NOT get the full benefit of using my CI because I'm not allowing my brain adjust to the CI. Some people it works for them. So, I'm never wearing my right hearing aid again (except maybe a few times to keep my nerves simulated until I want to go bilateral).

You gotta remember, your ear is just newly introduced to stimulation so your right ear will be dominant for a while. When you go back for a mapping, your volume levels will go way up! It takes a couple months before it begins to level out if you ever do. At that point your audi might map you and/or adjust your hearing aid to have it balanced.

In my case, I adjusted to the CI and it become my dominant ear very quickly but I still wear my HA but I perceive speech better without it. It really all comes down to a matter of personal preference and it can swing either way. :eek3:

I am one with the bad batch and will have surgery this month to have it replaced.

After the first surgery 4 year ago which was not fun and I never wanted to experience it again but I like my CI so much that I am willing to go back to surgery to have it replaced.

Best wishes with your reimplantation surgery! Are you getting the newest AB model?

Here you go! Not just for Abbie, but for others as well.

HI, I would like to talk about CI.
you know I have aCI, can you tell?. You think you can figure out?

Hello my name is walter lowell from mich. I was implanted when I was 11 years old. Family and friends told me that I will be hearing. I believed them and told mommy that I want it. Mom said okay. Got surgery. I was excited I could hear sounds. Could I hear the words? No. Just sounds that's all. I could hear phone ringing, I could hear car horn, people screaming, school bell, etc. But words, I umnderstand? No.

One day, the CI was not working, tried to replace battery. Told mom not work. Went to Indianapolis, found that the implant is cracked. Replaced new one. But gave me awful headaches. I put up with it and get used it, but not worth for me for break down. Told mom not work 2nd time.

Not worth for me to go through surgery again. Mom give up, won't go back to surgery again for the 3rd time. You think I enjoy getting surgeries? No fun. I prefer not to use CI. Haven't use CI since.

Thank you, every once in a while I get a headache. by CI. Warning, every deaf CI not to use CI but proud to be yourself. Signing and education and communication is more important than being oral and speaking instead of problems. Bye.

(He did both PSE and ASL, so I'm not exactly good at translating ASL into proper English, but I tried my best.)

This is why I'm not in favour of late implantations by people whose hearing has been minimally stimulated. Not only are their experiences generally poor, there is also too much expectation. They would need considerable counselling to ensure that the expectations are realistic. His complaint of headaches is very common among those who fall into this category.

This is why I'm not in favour of late implantations by people whose hearing has been minimally stimulated. Not only are their experiences generally poor, there is also too much expectation. They would need considerable counselling to ensure that the expectations are realistic. His complaint of headaches is very common among those who fall into this category.

Well said!

This guy was 11 years old, and he looks like he's in his twenties. He cannot speak well. My guess is lack of research/education. The candidacy process seemed a little lax back then because there wasn't enough data information to see how CI users did in 5 to 10 years. It's sad that some of the people in the deaf community are looking at THESE type of cases, not the current cases to make an opinion about CI. His MOM DID NOT FORCED CI on him...he wanted it because his friends and family heard about it, but there was just lack of research on his parents' part.
I have spoke to my interpreter, who works for a CI audiologist and interprets for them. She sees a lot of cases like these. The audiologist will tell them bluntly that CI will not work well for them(seriously, she doesn't sugar coat stuff like this...THIS is exactly what type of audiologists that's needed for parents and deaf adults. CI is not something that you turn on and forget about it). But...the audiologist know it's their choice if they want to proceed. She cannot deny them services.

You mentioned counseling, you know what...there's a LACK of counseling available. There's counseling available for gastric bypass surgeries (well, based on the TV show "Big Medicine"), but I think many deaf people are intimidated by hearing counselors that does not what it's really like to be deaf.
Maybe I should be one. LOL! Nah, I'll stick with Game Art and Design.

Well said!

This guy was 11 years old, and he looks like he's in his twenties. He cannot speak well. My guess is lack of research/education. The candidacy process seemed a little lax back then because there wasn't enough data information to see how CI users did in 5 to 10 years. It's sad that some of the people in the deaf community are looking at THESE type of cases, not the current cases to make an opinion about CI. His MOM DID NOT FORCED CI on him...he wanted it because his friends and family heard about it, but there was just lack of research on his parents' part.
I have spoke to my interpreter, who works for a CI audiologist and interprets for them. She sees a lot of cases like these. The audiologist will tell them bluntly that CI will not work well for them(seriously, she doesn't sugar coat stuff like this...THIS is exactly what type of audiologists that's needed for parents and deaf adults. CI is not something that you turn on and forget about it). But...the audiologist know it's their choice if they want to proceed. She cannot deny them services.

You mentioned counseling, you know what...there's a LACK of counseling available. There's counseling available for gastric bypass surgeries (well, based on the TV show "Big Medicine"), but I think many deaf people are intimidated by hearing counselors that does not what it's really like to be deaf.
Maybe I should be one. LOL! Nah, I'll stick with Game Art and Design.

I agree. There is a lack of counseling services available, and particularly a lack of counseling services being provided by counselors who are fluent in ASL, PSE, and SEE, and also have a direct connection to the deaf community via family, friendships, and personal experience. That is exactly why I am pursuing my advanced degree. I firmly believe that counseling upon diagnosis, as well as pre-implantatation, and post-implantation counseling would make a huge difference in the results we are seeing, particularly when it comes to the educational effects for children.

Evil Grammar King

Man, I reread my post...I must have been attacked by the Evil Grammar King. I apologize for any grammatical errors in my post before Jillio's. Forgive me! :ty:

Back