Audism Free America

You think 3 soc classes makes you know the complexities of sociology? I don't think so. Yes, each family does have its own norms, but the society as a whole does as well... and that helps to shape the families norms and values.
Deaf people, or at least the ones I know, do know that they can be very loud, but hearies are loud too, they are consistently looking down on Deaf culture, they are consistently having the "oh poor you" attitude about being Deaf, and that is a product of our current culture, not individual family values and norms. It is that society tries to put each of us in little boxes, boxes that may not fit us, but we are forced into them, be they gender, age, race, or ability... and they judge us based on those boxes we are put into... have you ever heard of the invisible knapsack? May not have been taught in your 3 soc classes, well when tweaked a little, it can be used for Deaf identity too... take a look at it... White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh
ya know what, yes, maybe some of us Deaf do have a chip on our shoulders, but look at conflict theory... since you brought up the sociological view point, change has to start SOMEWHERE. The oppressed do have to rise over the oppressor. Maybe, just maybe, have you ever thought about it, that chip is deserved... ?
If you want to try and tell me you know everything about sociology and how it applies to Deaf culture, then sure... give me a lesson... because I'm sure my degree and my credentials will show you different. I don't claim to know everything there is about sociology, yes i was a soc major, yes I do have my degree, but even those with PhD's can't honestly say they know everything there is about soc, it is a social science and is constantly changing... but I can tell you I know a HELL of a lot more about it then you do with your amazing 3 classes...

to the other posters... sorry if this seems a little rude... but this just pissed me off... I took 3 psych classes in college so according to MDCodeRedFreak I could claim I know about psychology... I'm sure those who majored would think quite differently about that idea....

I agree, even my freind "Mary" whos a PhD, and a few others have PhDs as well they know fuck all, except my supervisor but he's now saying what i come up with this? this is good explanation, you should develop it more, theres nothing around here... and I did 2 psychology papers and i fucking hated it, i can say this though;
with psychology thinking its' you Blame or praise this individual for everything they are , whereas with sociology in mind, you'd blame or praise society for the way this individual came to be...

basically the roots of problems/characteristic have opposing origins, that is, from inside of from outside, that's in simplest terms.

two weeks ago she told me to leave, ranting that i got a chip on shoulder, all because i said you dont really know much about me being deaf' this pissed her off! but hello? that's how come you (she) is a feminist because for feminsit literatures is full of accounts of angry women with 'chip on shoulders'? and saying im not allow it?
she can GET FUCKED for all i know..she owes me an apology big time. just because its not 'caught on in the mainstream consciousness, it doesnt mean Deaf thinking is not calm or irrational, grrrr
so back off...eh

dont tell us we're got to get along thank you very much, because for so long to this date, so many stupid 'compromising methods' to mix and 'show deafs how to be hearing , even silent hearings - that is sign but behave like a hearie, no thank you, you (hearie) further failed to understand we're NOT WIRED like that, similarily, gays arent wired as straights...

Oh btw i have a BA major in Sociology, and going up PG then Masters...i think i have more say in this than you would after a meesly 3 (sic) papers (im talking to the know-it-all MDCodeRedFreak here)

Last edited:
by the way Ash, I love your post, well done Cheers
you made my day too

by the way Ash, I love your post, well done Cheers
you made my day too

Thanks Grummer! You have a BA in Soc, I have a BS! I had a really bad day yesterday, but oh did it feel good to let a little anger out... But I do think we rightfully have a chip on our shoulders, and just like you said... feminists are "allowed" one, so why not us Deafies? We are a minority group just like any other, but we are even oppressed by other minority groups...

Thanks Grummer! You have a BA in Soc, I have a BS! I had a really bad day yesterday, but oh did it feel good to let a little anger out... But I do think we rightfully have a chip on our shoulders, and just like you said... feminists are "allowed" one, so why not us Deafies? We are a minority group just like any other, but we are even oppressed by other minority groups...

Many people with privilege preserve their privilege in at least one way by denying that it exists and claiming that oppression doesn't happen among those who don't have that privilege, and tend to get all defensive (and ironically, more oppressive) when they're faced with that.

Seems likely to be tied to a feeling of being threatened. If someone is told that Person A, who in their eyes is their equal, has achieved the same amount and essentially "done everything you've done", but are then told "I did that, but other people threw up the following barriers that you didn't have", many people view this, not as "accurately describing the situation" but instead as "you're attacking me!"

Come on, we all know that after the first 3 classes of anything, the rest is just a bunch of made up fluff designed to keep you paying for college for the rest of your life.

:roll:

Spoken like someone who hasn't taken anymore that 3 classes.:lol:

My bachelor degree was a double major in psychology and sociology with a minor in anthropology. My masters was in counseling psychology, and my doctorate in clinical psychology.

I think I can speak as someone well informed regarding the oppression and the consequences of such on the deaf population.:P

I agree, even my freind "Mary" whos a PhD, and a few others have PhDs as well they know fuck all, except my supervisor but he's now saying what i come up with this? this is good explanation, you should develop it more, theres nothing around here... and I did 2 psychology papers and i fucking hated it, i can say this though;
with psychology thinking its' you Blame or praise this individual for everything they are , whereas with sociology in mind, you'd blame or praise society for the way this individual came to be...

basically the roots of problems/characteristic have opposing origins, that is, from inside of from outside, that's in simplest terms.

two weeks ago she told me to leave, ranting that i got a chip on shoulder, all because i said you dont really know much about me being deaf' this pissed her off! but hello? that's how come you (she) is a feminist because for feminsit literatures is full of accounts of angry women with 'chip on shoulders'? and saying im not allow it?
she can GET FUCKED for all i know..she owes me an apology big time. just because its not 'caught on in the mainstream consciousness, it doesnt mean Deaf thinking is not calm or irrational, grrrr
so back off...eh

dont tell us we're got to get along thank you very much, because for so long to this date, so many stupid 'compromising methods' to mix and 'show deafs how to be hearing , even silent hearings - that is sign but behave like a hearie, no thank you, you (hearie) further failed to understand we're NOT WIRED like that, similarily, gays arent wired as straights...

Oh btw i have a BA major in Sociology, and going up PG then Masters...i think i have more say in this than you would after a meesly 3 (sic) papers (im talking to the know-it-all MDCodeRedFreak here)

Agree with all, but want to make a clarification. Those of us in social psychology or clinical psychology with a focus on social justice take more of a sociological perpsective than other fields of psychology. I guess that is why we tend to agree so often on the sociological issues.

My bachelor degree was a double major in psychology and sociology with a minor in anthropology. My masters was in counseling psychology, and my doctorate in clinical psychology.

I think I can speak as someone well informed regarding the oppression and the consequences of such on the deaf population.:P

You make my head hurt when I think about all the studying you did. :dizzy: :giggle:

Spoken like someone who hasn't taken anymore that 3 classes.:lol:

I've taken 9 classes, thank you very much!

By the previous poster's standards, I should have at least 3 degrees by now. I patiently await their arrival :)

I've taken 9 classes, thank you very much!

By the previous poster's standards, I should have at least 3 degrees by now. I patiently await their arrival :)

Nine classes all in the same discipline?

Nine classes all in the same discipline?

Actually, my original courses were anywhere from bio to soc/anthro...so now that I've changed my study to Economics, I have to basically start all over again.

Heading back in the fall or spring.

Actually, my original courses were anywhere from bio to soc/anthro...so now that I've changed my study to Economics, I have to basically start all over again.

Heading back in the fall or spring.

Good luck with the return. But, yeah, we were talking about 3 classes in the same discipline...as in the poster claiming to have 3 soc classes and then considering themselves a sociologist.:P

Good luck with the return. But, yeah, we were talking about 3 classes in the same discipline...as in the poster claiming to have 3 soc classes and then considering themselves a sociologist.:P

Exactly, I was trying to joke about that.

Guess I failed. Perhaps only two classes in humor is just not enough :)

Seriously though, his post sounds like a typical freshman mentality. I suffer from it slightly when it comes to Econ now, and I have to keep reminding myself that there is so much more to learn.

Exactly, I was trying to joke about that.

Guess I failed. Perhaps only two classes in humor is just not enough :)

Seriously though, his post sounds like a typical freshman mentality. I suffer from it slightly when it comes to Econ now, and I have to keep reminding myself that there is so much more to learn.

:laugh2:

Humor got through on this one!

Could she be from another country? Some countries have some asinine laws regarding what deaf people can't do. Or was she born and raised in Buffalo? I wasn't sure if you mean to say that she was born and raised there or you went to college in Buffalo.

Oh! I was at one of those gas station/bar/motel type of places in the country pumping gas into my car when a drunk driver backed up in such a way that his left side of the truck scraped right up against the right side of my car. When the police arrived, he said it was my fault the accident happened because I'm deaf and that he shouldn't be arrested because he's a war veteran.

It's unbelievable what some people say.

Oh! I was at one of those gas station/bar/motel type of places in the country pumping gas into my car when a drunk driver backed up in such a way that his left side of the truck scraped right up against the right side of my car. When the police arrived, he said it was my fault the accident happened because I'm deaf and that he shouldn't be arrested because he's a war veteran.

oi.

Holy crap! What an idiot.

:eek3:
what!
thats arent right
vets shouldnt be allowed to legally be drunk and driving wtf its crazy

Back