Boss threatened job due to hearing impairment

OP = Original Post? I asked the recruiter how I should answer and she sent me the info stating I did not have to say as long as I did not need accommodation. I have the email to prove it too.

OP=Original Post is you. :cool2:

Sample of resume:

Job-Resume-Objective-Sample.jpg

is that your CV Calvin you clever man wish I had one of those qualifications

It sounds like she let you go before she even gave you a chance. If you can hear on the phone and can carry on a conversation, I don't see what the problem is. Most work is done via computer now anyway. What exactly did she say you did wrong in terms of your job that was enough to let you go? If she is thinking clients are not going to like you because you wear hearing aids than that is just flat out wrong. If that is the case I would contact the ADA. I wish you the best.

No it is a sample resume, it just gives everyone the example what it looks like.

is that your CV Calvin you clever man wish I had one of those qualifications

It sounds like she let you go before she even gave you a chance. If you can hear on the phone and can carry on a conversation, I don't see what the problem is. Most work is done via computer now anyway. What exactly did she say you did wrong in terms of your job that was enough to let you go? If she is thinking clients are not going to like you because you wear hearing aids than that is just flat out wrong. If that is the case I would contact the ADA. I wish you the best.

Well, the problem with this company is not d/Deaf friendly unless there is education for the hearing employers to better understand their deafness and why some HOH can hear on the phone as their hearing is mild hearing loss. The employers don't understand. See what happen when hearing employers expected the d/Deaf or HOH to be able to be like hearing person who are not able to understand everything on the phone or communicating with hearing clients/employers. That is why they did not get education to learn about d/Deaf and HOH. See, not deaf friendly. :(

I don't know where everyone got their law degree from but if a black applicant didn't state that they were black on their application - did they lie? No one has the right to fire someone for a disability. I would contact a vocational center or a place the Career Place and get free advice on your options. If your job has an EEO officer, get in touch right away. This is not legal folks...

Laura

I don't know where everyone got their law degree from but if a black applicant didn't state that they were black on their application - did they lie? No one has the right to fire someone for a disability. I would contact a vocational center or a place the Career Place and get free advice on your options. If your job has an EEO officer, get in touch right away. This is not legal folks...

Laura

I heard of a Black person not saying this on an applicant and it was checked off that they were 'White '. The person had dark skin too.
So if the person did not get the job the employer could say I had no idea they were Black b/c it checked off they're 'white'.
Yeah it's illegal to refuse a person b/c of their weight too, there were health aides at the company I worked at and they were too fat to all their job requirements. They could not bend down to wash their clients feet and this pissed me off . I covered for one fat health aide and her poor client feet smell so bad I almost vomited when I took off her shoes .

Hello all. I just started a new job last week (after having been unemployed for seven months). On the application I stated 'NO' to disability because, per the law reading that was sent to me, I did not have to disclose as I do not need "reasonable accommodation". My hearing aids aren't perfect and I occasionally need someone to repeat themselves.

The new boss called me out of the blue this weekend and wanted to know when I could get my hearing "fixed". What "game plan" did I have in place for training with our mentors. (It's a six week on site training then four years from home)

I explained to her that I could hear her over the phone just fine but she stated that if the client did not like me due to my hearing impairment then she would have to let me go.

What options do I have? If any?
That's the key. What employer wants its clients/customers to repeat what they say to its employees? They can lose the client's business with the company that way.

For example, I am a deaf customer going to a store, I communicate to hearing people by writing so I write something down for an employee to read, then this employee can't read it (due to poor English reading skill, ie: Spanish or Asian speaking employees who can speak and/or understand English in voices but can't read English on a paper) so s/he gives it to someone else. That's a turn-off, isn't it? That's common in Southern Calif.

Last edited:
That's the key. What employer wants its clients/customers to repeat what they say to its employees? They can lose the client's business with the company that way.

For example, I am a deaf customer going to a store, I communicate to hearing people by writing so I write something down for an employee to read, then this employee can't read it (due to poor English reading skill, ie: Spanish or Asian speaking employees who can speak and/or understand English in voices but can't read English on a paper) so s/he gives it to someone else. That's a turn-off, isn't it? That's common in Southern Calif.

Or if a white customer doesnt want a black driver delivering the goods...
Mmmmmm

That's the biggest load of BS I have read in a while.

Then in that case, the employee and/or client/customer needs to receive some sort of training or classroom work in how to work with a specific segment of the population. If your line of reasoning is true, then I should not have been working for the last 10 years in IT as there is a heavy emphasis with phone usage in some companies... and miles of meetings in every IT department. In the case of the "poor language skills", the employer would need to offer ESL courses or something to aid the employee... or the employee if they feel the need to- refer you to another cashier. Not their fault you don't have the patience or compassion to at least try to still work it out. I doubt they'd miss you as a customer either.

That's the biggest load of BS I have read in a while.

Then in that case, the employee and/or client/customer needs to receive some sort of training or classroom work in how to work with a specific segment of the population. If your line of reasoning is true, then I should not have been working for the last 10 years in IT as there is a heavy emphasis with phone usage in some companies... and miles of meetings in every IT department. In the case of the "poor language skills", the employer would need to offer ESL courses or something to aid the employee... or the employee if they feel the need to- refer you to another cashier. Not their fault you don't have the patience or compassion to at least try to still work it out. I doubt they'd miss you as a customer either.
Are you nuts or what?

There is no training in California?
A company sends its hearing customer to a training to learn how to deal with deaf employees? NO! The hearing customer is not required to attend it at all. If the company doesn't want to lose the customer (thus his/her money), then the company should listen to the customer's complaint and/or respect the customer's request like asking for another employee with whom the customer can deal.

I dislike that phrase.. "The customer is always right"

No they aren't. Sometimes you CAN'T get another employee just to satisfy a customer. Complaints are good but sometimes many complaints are frivolous, petty and self serving.

You don't have to 'send people to training'.... someone can go to them or they can be given material/information to look over. It's not that hard to up awareness.

Did this matter go any further? danimart62, did you ever speak with an attorney?

I dislike that phrase.. "The customer is always right"

No they aren't. Sometimes you CAN'T get another employee just to satisfy a customer. Complaints are good but sometimes many complaints are frivolous, petty and self serving.

You don't have to 'send people to training'.... someone can go to them or they can be given material/information to look over. It's not that hard to up awareness.
Well, as you know, all businesses also have rights not to serve an unreasonable customer. For example, if I owned a deli shop and a customer complained about my deaf employee, I would tell the customer to get out of my shop and never come back.

Isn't it illegal to ask about your disability on an application?

It generally is, but there are certain jobs where hearing or sight is a necessity. Was the question phrased as something like whether you need accommodations? I think that specific question isn't illegal. I've seen that on job apps before. Part of the reason behind asking about accommodations is so that whatever is needed doesn't cause undue hardship to the company.

Back