My CAPD apparently is from Traumatic Brain Injury, & I'm also mildly HOH

brailleandasl

Reaction score
I found out fairly recently that my CAPD is likely from Traumatic Brain Injury, and I just found out Friday I have a mild hearing loss in the lower frequencies. How to deal with this? I'm in shock.

I found out fairly recently that my CAPD is likely from Traumatic Brain Injury, and I just found out Friday I have a mild hearing loss in the lower frequencies. How to deal with this? I'm in shock.

Why? If you've always had CAPD it shouldn't matter what caused it.

One of my daughters is an RN in a major University trama center who is working on her doctorate.

She also has CAPD and a moderately severe hearing loss.

The way to deal with it is to get out there and do something with your life.

There are plenty of us who are deaf, not hoh, who have done just that.

Good luck.

I not understanding how is it affecting your life if you always had it then you dealing with it just live your life..Lots of people have mild loss and proberly unaware.

You've known about the CAPD for more than a year, and assumedly have lived with it longer than that. So I imagine you'd just go on doing what you've been doing. Knowing the cause doesn't really change anything (which I think is why sometimes doctors seem to not care about causes when symptoms aren't dangerous) so there's no reason to fret over it.

If the mild hearing loss is new and/or you're having trouble hearing things you used to be able to hear, you could look into hearing aids to help.

For TV and other things that have it, turn on CC if you haven't already. I imagine it would help with the CAPD too, being able to read what's said.

I don't believe I have always had CAPD.

My CAPD was only diagnosed about a year ago. I struggled with it, misdiagnosed for many years.

My head injury happened in about 1984, a baseball to the head, when not much was known about TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury). I seemed normal at the time and so nothing was done.

I was told my symptoms were all caused by migraines and "all in your head." That was until I finally found some professions who ran memory tests and other tests.

Most of my problems started with the head injury.

My vision problems also seemed to start with the head injury. I have undergone a lot of vision therapy so now I don't get as much vertigo and double vision.

It was in 2013 when I was found to have short term memory problems.

CAPD, memory loss, and vision problems can be caused by TBI.

And, now I just flunked the audiogram with a mild hearing loss on Friday. I was not expecting that.

Most of the doctors do not seem to believe that TBI can cause my problems but they can. But, the hearing loss, well, I guess that came from getting older.

My shock is that now I am mildly HOH along with everything else. Surprise, surprise. Another new layer of complexity.

As far as TBI causing CAPD, some veterans are being diagnosed with CAPD after blast injuries.

By the way, I am right now unable to tolerate captions and other visual demands for any longer than short periods at a time. I'm still rehabilitating my vision issues.

I do believe knowing the cause is likely TBI does change things, as it gives me and informed professionals some clues about other things that might go wrong.

I'll check these posts later. Eyes are tired again.

Back