My son may be losing some hearing

~*Kaelei*~

Reaction score
I'm a little concern...

My son has beeing saying "What?" lately, keeps asking to repeat what I said.

And I'm not the only one that has nocticed that.... even his teacher has nocticed it and his father has nocticed it as well.

He might be having a some hearing loss... so we are taking him to audiogram to get it tested.

If he fails... well I'll accept it...but I'd be curoius what caused his hearing loss... that is if he has any. He was born hearing, and was hearing just fine until lately past few months.

However, his father won't. I achually asked him, so what if he's deaf? His answer was, "I sure hope not, I don't want that."

I was kinda offended by that, like as if he sees deaf is something wrong, thankfully I'm not with that man anymore, hasn't been for over a year. He even didn't want my son to learn sign language, saying that it would delay his speech. Pff... such a bullshit. But I was stubborn and he does need to know sign language as his "soon to be" stepdad is deaf and his whole family is deaf. He's now really into learning sign lnguage and is using it quite often when he's with me and his "soon to be" stepdad. He would make effort to sign, is eager to learn more.

Anyways, I'm off the track here... back to the point.... if he is losing some hearing.... and I know my family (all hearing) would probably freak out about it... would it mean that it's genetic or something on my side?

Maybe offer him some hearing aids and/or CIs?

EDIT: Also, it is better to see his doctor. You're probably right about genetics.

how old is your boy? and just wait till you see the audiolgist and see what happen from there.
Just think about preparing for anything.
some random that happens to anyone who have hearing losses. i wish i knew.

My son has beeing saying "What?" lately, keeps asking to repeat what I said.

He might be having a some hearing loss... so we are taking him to audiogram to get it tested.

If he fails... well I'll accept it...but I'd be curoius what caused his hearing loss... that is if he has any. He was born hearing, and was hearing just fine until lately past few months.

."

But I was stubborn and he does need to know sign language as his "soon to be" stepdad is deaf and his whole family is deaf. He's now really into learning sign lnguage and is using it quite often when he's with me and his "soon to be" stepdad. He would make effort to sign, is eager to learn more.

back to the point.... if he is losing some hearing.... and I know my family (all hearing) would probably freak out about it... would it mean that it's genetic or something on my side?

First of all, how old is your son? You know it would work out SO WELL if it turned out he's HOH...He could attend Dhh classes or even attend Washington School for the Deaf! It might be genetic...but on the other hand, if it IS then you're all set! It works out well!!!! Nothing to worry about!

If the hearing loss exists in different generations, it may be inherited dominantly. Dominately inherited hearing loss is rare but there are a few of us freaks around here. Families with a dominant gene tend to accept deafness as part of their family. Sounds like you're doing that (if the child has inherited it). Your ex is an idiot and good riddance!

He's 5 1/2.... soon to be 6 in January.

If he does become hard of hearing, then I would just give him a choice, just go without hearing aids or if he wants have hearing aids, then that's just fine.

I was born Deaf and the doctors said that my deafness was caused by CMV.... so if my son does have hearing loss.... would that mean the doctor was wrong about me?

He will have his hearing test in December so we will wait and see.

Either way, I'll be fine with the result as I don't see anything wrong about being Hard of Hearing/deaf or hearing.

On other hand, Its my ex and my family would would be so Not be alright with that. *Sighs*

You're mother and deaf, you should understood what you think is best for your child if he is seriously become deaf at young age.

Otherwise, I think it's bless that it make you feel like real deaf family.

He's 5 1/2.... soon to be 6 in January.

If he does become hard of hearing, then I would just give him a choice, just go without hearing aids or if he wants have hearing aids, then that's just fine.

I was born Deaf and the doctors said that my deafness was caused by CMV.... so if my son does have hearing loss.... would that mean the doctor was wrong about me?

He will have his hearing test in December so we will wait and see.

Either way, I'll be fine with the result as I don't see anything wrong about being Hard of Hearing/deaf or hearing.

On other hand, Its my ex and my family would would be so Not be alright with that. *Sighs*

I don't think they would be wrong. I think CMV can still have effects passed down to your descendents even though it was caused by your mother having a virus.

In our family progressive loss that isn't present at birth, runs on my husband's side.

I was probably born that way as an infant
if he wants hearing aids, that's fine unless he wants a cool hearing aid like mine!!!

anyways, good luck with the test and I'm here since I'm an expert on the techie stuff :D

YAY!!!!!! If he is HOH, would he go to deaf ed classes? That would be awesome!

It could be something simple like buildup of wax. Have him seen by an ENT as well. I am curious to what caused him to lose some hearing.

Well, if he is losing his hearing, he's lucky to have you and your fiance who will help him grow up in deaf culture and ASL.

Anyway, hope the Dr can determine what's wrong.

If you're concerned, you could take Connexin 21/22 test to see if you're a carrier of deaf gene or not.

Keep us updated.

Do you think that your son has some wax in his ear(s)?

I have heard a man who was deaf for a few months (?), and he went to a chiropractor. He got his hearing back. Well, I don't buy this story. This is just for your information.

Do not have much advice except to say that proud you leave that yahoo. Hopefully he come to accept you and your son's language preference.

:hug:

Back