11 Facts About Lefties

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Being left-handed can seem like a curse: Scissors are hard to use, hands are always covered in ink, and it's unlikely you'll find the right baseball mitt in gym class. But it's not all bad— here are some interesting facts about the uncommon southpaw.

Watch the video...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/61822/11-facts-about-lefties

it is a curse for the only right handed woman in this house husband son daughter all lefties.They do nothing but whing can't do ironing nor washing up mow lawn host of other things

Four lefties in my immediate family (well technically 5- my grandfather was ambidextrous). Come to think of it, not sure what handedness my father's parents were.

My father has never once gotten ink on his hand while writing.. just turn the paper to match the direction you are writing that's all!

Irony is parents are both left handed- none of their children are (though strangely for me my left eye and ear are the stronger of the two...).

I'm mostly ambidextrous. I'm left-handed, but do dishes right-handed most of the time, and when I had to work in a kitchen for 8 weekends at a renaissance festival, I really, really had to alternate back and forth to give relief to either scrubbing hand, and plus, the pans were so big that it made sense to wash to one side with one hand and to the other with the other hand. I play drums open-handed (left hand plays hi-hat and other cymbals on the left side and the right hand plays other cymbals on the right side for time-keeping) on a right-hand drum set. Also, I lead on the drum set with either foot regardless of what my hands are doing.

I even tried to learn to write right-handed while I was learning to open up my drum playing style. I could do block print somewhat, though slow. A few years before, I changed my left-handed writing from southpaw with ink on the hands to underhanded with the paper facing 70 degrees clockwise from upright. It took me about a year and a half to do this.

I'm surprised that some people have trouble starting a mower right-handed (when the pull-rope is threaded on the handle on the right side). I guess I don't understand because I am not side-dominant. However, it would be interesting for me to shoot my handgun again left-handed, which I have not done in 35 years since I start going blind on that side from cataracts. Now that I've had that surgery done on the left eye, and now, glasses for the right side don't correct anymore (I have monocular polyopia, so even when I see clearly, I don't see a single image, but multiples superimposed one over the other), and the right eye becomes nearsighted after surgery, I won't be shooting right-handed anyway.

The only person in my family is leftie is my grandfather.

mower switch on wrong side apparently..ironing cord wrong side apparently.simple solution turn it around or use dish washer...it mostly excuse get out doing things..just add do make me cringe at times when they mowing lawn I will yank things off them do it myself.
DD Paul is leftie and what great music he played on guitar

Four lefties in my immediate family (well technically 5- my grandfather was ambidextrous). Come to think of it, not sure what handedness my father's parents were.

My father has never once gotten ink on his hand while writing.. just turn the paper to match the direction you are writing that's all!

Irony is parents are both left handed- none of their children are (though strangely for me my left eye and ear are the stronger of the two...).

My younger sister was ambidextrous but a teacher in school wouldn't let her use her left hand . She would use it when her right hand got tried .
I wonder if this still done in school today , I hope not.

My younger sister was ambidextrous but a teacher in school wouldn't let her use her left hand . She would use it when her right hand got tried .

Depends on how far you go back... I do know while I was in school many of the teachers would throw a fit if I used my left hand... cannot count how many times I got popped with a ruler... when I moved to the US it was better and did not have as many issues but still teachers would humbug me about it... but no actual discipline or control attempts....

Depends on how far you go back... I do know while I was in school many of the teachers would throw a fit if I used my left hand... cannot count how many times I got popped with a ruler... when I moved to the US it was better and did not have as many issues but still teachers would humbug me about it... but no actual discipline or control attempts....

This was in the late 1950's .

simple solution turn it around or use dish washer.

At renaissance faires, there's no such thing as an automated dishwasher. YOU are the dishwasher, often in very dirty conditions, too. Either you stand up to 10 hours of constant washing with no cold water, hot only, or you get out and find another job. I'll never do this job again...

I think for the most part that practice is gone as my nephew is a leftie. My grandfather was a natural leftie but was forced to be a rightie in school. Dad didn't have that problem I don't think but one of his sisters did- however I think the difference was schools- she went to a Catholic school for a short while if I have my story correct. The nuns tried to make her stop writing lefthanded. Grandmother was having none of that! That was somewhere in the late 40's to 50's.

Southpaw pitcher can pick you off first base easy!
093013_tb_price_loney_pickoff_qvth5ivq.gif

Im a rightie,but when i tripped on lsd or other halocenogens. I waS a leftie...
Weird....

Back