Rape affects almost 20% of US women, study says

BBC News - Rape affects almost 20% of US women, study says

Gosh, it is higher than I thought!
Please be careful, ADers.

Add to that the number of rapes that go unreported and the number of sexual assaults on girls under the age of 18, and the numbers are even higher. Some reports are that 1 in 5 women will be a victim of a sexual assault / rape at some point in their lifetime. Many don't think there is such a thing as marital rape. I have seen numerous cases of it in my work with SART. And it is just as violent as stranger rape, and probably even more traumatic emotionally and psychologically. Rarely gets reported, and we only become aware of it when the victim is injured to the degree that they end up in the ER.

Both of your posts are disturbing. 20% of women raped is the reported rapes? That's extremely high in my book. Never mind the unreported ones!

I bet a lot marital rapes ever get reported, people think how do you get rape if you're marry to the guy. It happen to a friend of mine and it was so horrible seeing the emotional pain she was going though. She never told anyone else as she knew they would never believe her. This was over 40 years ago and marital rapes where not spoken about a lot.

I read an article last year that some reports were repeated with same criminals by error in the data.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

So you invalidate the experiences of raped women?

If 1/3 of girls are sexually assaulted, the number should be higher. Underreporting must cause the discrepancy. I've been in therapy groups in which women didn't want anyone to know other than husbands and other group members.

That's pretty high just for reported rapes. My gf was raped when she was in the teens, so not surprising. Almost every women I know have been raped.

I keep my doors locked all the time....rape occurs for any woman regardless the age....When it happens to a child or an elderly woman, it's horrific! Then again, any rape is horrific!.....

I know of many women that have been raped also...some did not report it! Too ashamed to do it....When it happens in the family, most times, it's covered up....Even if the female told the mother...she would say she was lieing about it....This was done a lot "back in the old days"...when alcohol was the culprit.....

We women need to take a stand!...Do not tolerate this behavior!...Report it, call the police and get to the hospital for a rape kit soon as possible....

NO matter if it's ur husband, father, brother, etc.!...

I'm very careful whenever I go out, and being aware of my surroundings....And always go shopping with a family member or a friend...never alone, only in the day times....

1. Education appear to not give strength enough on women to make report
2. Men aren't enough to respect women, unless, she did on purpose to make males do it.
3. See No 1.

1. Education appear to not give strength enough on women to make report
2. Men aren't enough to respect women, unless, she did on purpose to make males do it.
3. See No 1.

Your comment appalls me. Women would never do something "on purpose" like that. Women are allowed to dress any way they want, don't tell us what to wear, don't tell us we're slutty and that we deserved it. Don't tell us we asked for it.

And education? Seriously. No matter what education level... Seriously, your comment is just disgusting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jel_9dMrOWs]Why is Shoshannah Stern pissed off? - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR4kXE1o5iE[/ame]

It's actually higher than that.

That is what I thought too. I thought it was in the 30s

And the word "affects" is weird to me because this....

I keep my doors locked all the time....rape occurs for any woman regardless the age....When it happens to a child or an elderly woman, it's horrific! Then again, any rape is horrific!.....

I'm very careful whenever I go out, and being aware of my surroundings....And always go shopping with a family member or a friend...never alone, only in the day times....

....is an example that sadly most if not all women are "affected" by rape in some way.

Last edited:
I was surprised to learn that asthma was identified as a PSTD symptom after getting raped. I thought asthma was a biological condition not a mental one?

That is frightening. Ladies, how do you suggest women take a stand on this?

That is frightening. Ladies, how do you suggest women take a stand on this?

Good question. I notice that a group of ladies will stop talking when a man walks up to their table. I wonder what they were talking about a lot of times.

Good question. I notice that a group of ladies will stop talking when a man walks up to their table. I wonder what they were talking about a lot of times.

Things you just don't want to hear.

Seriously.

I did too. I thought it was in the 30s

And the word "affects" is weird to me because this....
....is an example that sadly most if not all women are "affected" by rape in some way.

At night time. I always take care to walk on the busiest and well lit streets and just be aware of all times of my environment and keep the keys between my fingers in my pocket.

I took a street fighting course about 6 years ago - this would be an example of how women can be affected, they take self defense courses - and that was incredibly empowering because I know exactly what to do if I get attacked so that helps me relax and have more confidence as a lone woman anywhere I go. I don't want to live my life in fear nor be targeted because I act scared.

At night time. I always take care to walk on the busiest and well lit streets and just be aware of all times of my environment and keep the keys between my fingers in my pocket.

I took a street fighting course about 6 years ago - this would be an example of how women can be affected, they take self defense courses - and that was incredibly empowering because I know exactly what to do if I get attacked so that helps me relax and have more confidence as a lone woman anywhere I go. I don't want to live my life in fear nor be targeted because I act scared.

All excellent advice.

Back