Model of CI?

I sense a "BleedingPurist" backlash coming!

I sense a "BleedingPurist" backlash coming!

And why would that be? Do you fully understand the technology of the internal implants or are you just reacting emotionally? Notice I hold both Med El and AB in similar regard, but I don't have Med El. I'm a tech guy. Ponder that.

And why would that be? Do you fully understand the technology of the internal implants or are you just reacting emotionally? Notice I hold both Med El and AB in similar regard, but I don't have Med El. I'm a tech guy. Ponder that.

Your profile says your involved in transport?

Your profile says your involved in transport?

I suppose that is your way of dancing around saying, No, you don't understand the internal technology and strategies. I rest my case.

I haven't said or done anything controversial here, so can the alarmist attitude.

What is wrong with Med-El? Curious because I am a potential candidate for one of their clinical trials.

Absolutely nothing...Med-El has given me my life back...it drives me nuts reading all the misinformed posts about Med-El.....Personally I wouldnt pick any other brand ever...

Cochlear and AB have huge marketing budgets and apparently have brainwashed many people out there...

Do your own research on the three and make your mind up based on the merits of each...not the biased opinions of others...there are some independent reviews out there you just have to look. I cant think of a specific one of the top of my head but search around and you shall find.

when I first started researching CIs about 10 years ago, Med-El was immediately crossed off my list as I didn't like the way the processor was designed (made me think of a gun). Nowadays, eh I don't know. I'm just gonna go with AB and that's that. Is it Friday yet?!

FWIW...The Med-El Opus 2 processor has come along way from the older processors. It is definitely the smallest of the three, which for my tiny ears is a god-send. I pretty much wouldnt be able to use the other two brands because they are so big.

It is available in like 9 colours now and as I have had it almost a year now, I can tell you the thing is very durable despite being sent flying off my head a few times...again likely due to the small ears.

Absolutely nothing...Med-El has given me my life back...it drives me nuts reading all the misinformed posts about Med-El.....Personally I wouldnt pick any other brand ever...

Cochlear and AB have huge marketing budgets and apparently have brainwashed many people out there...

Do your own research on the three and make your mind up based on the merits of each...not the biased opinions of others...there are some independent reviews out there you just have to look. I cant think of a specific one of the top of my head but search around and you shall find.

I completely agree!

As an AB user, I have nothing but respect for Med El. I think they came out with some awesome tech with their newest array, exactly what Cochlear should have done for two array releases now. At the time I was implanted Med El was not offered and it was the Pulsar, I believe, that was available at the time (I am not sure on the name now, it had a 12 electrode array.) To be honest, it was easy to pick AB because I wouldn't have considered the older array, but today.... that would be a tough decision between the two! I think you guys are only going to see the capability expand as they upgrade the software with even more advanced strategies, just as AB went from HiRes to Fidelity 120. That's the beauty of the technology you have, what it gives you now and what you'll have later with just a visit to your audiologist.

I honestly haven't encountered propaganda from other AB-users regarding Med El. They seem to share my respect for the company and the technology. It just seems it isn't commonly offered in the U.S. so many don't bother to do much in depth research on it since it's not available to them.

FWIW...The Med-El Opus 2 processor has come along way from the older processors. It is definitely the smallest of the three, which for my tiny ears is a god-send. I pretty much wouldnt be able to use the other two brands because they are so big.

It is available in like 9 colours now and as I have had it almost a year now, I can tell you the thing is very durable despite being sent flying off my head a few times...again likely due to the small ears.

I'm aware of the Opus 2 and such. But I'm still going with AB for myself.

Today is my appointment with the audiologist. Also I will be having my MRI next week. I get to choose which ear I want implanted. They both are bad so I think I will base this decision on which ear has the worst noise. As of now that is my right ear. It is having a Fourth of July party with popping firecrackers since 3am this morning. I pray I make the right decisions.

when I first started researching CIs about 10 years ago, Med-El was immediately crossed off my list as I didn't like the way the processor was designed (made me think of a gun). Nowadays, eh I don't know. I'm just gonna go with AB and that's that. Is it Friday yet?!

Med el speech processor do look like gun LOL that y i not like them :D i turned it down cos that was give only choice :O

Angel, we both had appointments today! I had to get an MRI done too actually. Surgeon decided we needed to be sure about ossification in my left ear (CT scan was clear, but my mom was questioning it because of what we've been told for so long, so he decided MRI was necessary just to be sure. I guess sometimes CT scan will be clear, but then when surgeon gets into the ear he finds ossification so CT isn't always right). Yeah. But I did order my AB processors (1 harmony, 1 neptune). Now just gotta wait for surgery to happen (March 21), then activation (April 3). I'm excited!

Angel, we both had appointments today! I had to get an MRI done too actually. Surgeon decided we needed to be sure about ossification in my left ear (CT scan was clear, but my mom was questioning it because of what we've been told for so long, so he decided MRI was necessary just to be sure. I guess sometimes CT scan will be clear, but then when surgeon gets into the ear he finds ossification so CT isn't always right). Yeah. But I did order my AB processors (1 harmony, 1 neptune). Now just gotta wait for surgery to happen (March 21), then activation (April 3). I'm excited!

Sounds like things are moving along nicely for you. I had my 3rd hearing test today which I don't quite understand. I get a NO RESPONSE on both ears. Has not changed. Still had to sit there for an hour and let them know what the recorded sentences were saying. I sat there and twiddeld my thumbs. MRI is in 3weeks since I have to be sedated. Has to be done in the hospital down town. Getting insurance approval they say anywhere from 30-90days. That still would mean I could get implanted before my 1 year anniversary date of becoming deaf. May 29. I am going with thr nucleus5 Freedom i hope its the right choice.

yeah audie wanted a more recent hearing test results of my right ear unaided. Hey we're doing the left ear, why test the right one again? haha yeah oh well it's how they work I guess. Hope everything goes well for you Angel and that you can get your CI soon! If you feel like Cochlear is the best choice, go for it! My surgeon says both Cochlear and AB devices are really good devices (he didn't say anything about Med-El and I didn't even ask) so you really can't go wrong with which device to get.

In doing tons of research I think I am going to change my decision. I had chose Nucleus Freedom. Now I think I want the AB Harmony even tho my doctor recommends Nucleus. Nucleus Freedom is an old model. AB Harmony is newer and seems to be able to do more.
So confused!!!!

I'm guessing you'd be getting the Freedom internal implant, with the N5 processor set up, as that's how it's being done for Cochlear at the moment (if you go with Cochlear). But the decision is totally up to you. Making the decision can be hard and crazy with all the information out there.

In doing tons of research I think I am going to change my decision. I had chose Nucleus Freedom. Now I think I want the AB Harmony even tho my doctor recommends Nucleus. Nucleus Freedom is an old model. AB Harmony is newer and seems to be able to do more.
So confused!!!!

You are doing excellent, Angie. Continue the research. The external processors will come and go. Cochlear has the N5 now, but then AB will have a new processor designed using the technology available from Phonak in 1 to 2 years. Just look at Phonak to get an idea of what's coming. Keep in mind that AB users really don't switch programs much because they don't need to.... we don't have dual mics because users roundly thumbs-downed them when used in clinical trials. They interfere with the naturalness of the sound. I didn't even like it on my hearing aid! We love our T-Mics! The benefit of the Phonak cooperation will be the sleek design, miniturization, and connectivity to a wide variety of sources wirelessly.

Focus on the capabilities of the internal implant, that is what stays put. Understand how the electrodes work and the different strategies.

Acivation will be very soon. Isn't it always month after ?

So I made my decision. I am going with the Cochlear Freedom with the Nucleus5 Processor.
Still have to have my MRI on March 13. After that doctor will make the final decision if I qualify. Once we get insurance approval then set the surgery date. I will start freaking out after that!!!!!

Acivation will be very soon. Isn't it always month after ?

It varies from center to center. Some people actually get activated like 3-5 days after surgery, but more commonly about 2 weeks to a month.

Angel, good luck with the MRI and so on!

Back