CDC: 'kissing bug' reported in Florida

rockin'robin

Reaction score
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is warning Floridians about the potentially deadly Chagas Disease from the kissing bug.

The bugs have invaded the southern United States, including Florida.

The infected inch-long Triatomine bugs carrying the parasite can pass it through bites. The bites are typically around the mouth and face, which is how they get their nickname "kissing bugs."

Once in the body, the parasite can remain hidden for years, or even decades, eventually resulting in heart disease.

According to the CDC, it estimates about 8 million people are infected worldwide. Most of the infected are reportedly in Central and South America.

The CDC reports that infections have been reported in Arkansas, Arizona, Massachusetts, Tennessee and Texas.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/health/sfl-ap-kissing-bug-florida-20151126-story.html

Have been reading a lot about this Insect lately....2 cases here in my city at Mayo Clinic.....:shock:

Even animals can get bit by this insect....check your dog or cat if they have been outside before letting them back in/

They say you can also spray with an insecticide...but not the brand to use?...Guessing to call the Exterminator if you do see one in your home.

Seems these insects get Big!...bigger than the Bed Bug, but actually do the same (live off your blood)....:eek3:

Looking around and checking....:Ohno:...hope to God I never see one!...

Dangerous ‘Kissing Bug' Spreads to More Than Half of US, Including California

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says a potentially deadly insect known as the "kissing bug" has made its way into every southern state, impacting more than half of the United States.

According to CDC, there have been reports of it in California, which noted four of the 11 different species of the bug also known as triatomines have been spotted in the state.

The bug typically feeds on the blood of mammals, including humans and pets, biting them on the face (lip area).

Because most indoor structures in the United States are built with plastered walls and sealed entryways to prevent insect invasion, triatomine bugs rarely infest indoor areas of houses. Discovery of immature stages of the bug (wingless, smaller nymphs) inside may be an indication of infestation. When the bugs are found inside, they are likely to be in one of the following settings:
• Near pet resting areas
• In areas of rodent infestation
• In and around beds and bedrooms, especially under or near mattresses or night stands

Precautions to prevent house infestation include:
• Sealing cracks and gaps around windows, walls, roofs, and doors
• Removing wood, brush, and rock piles near your house
• Using screens on doors and windows and repairing any holes or tears
• If possible, making sure yard lights are not close to your house (lights can attract the bugs)
bugs)
• Sealing holes and cracks leading to the attic, crawl spaces below the house, and to the outside
• Having pets sleep indoors, especially at night
• Keeping your house and any outdoor pet resting areas clean, in addition to periodically checking both areas for the presence of bugs

Symptoms include fever, fatigue, rash, diarrhea, and vomiting. It can also cause heart failure and intestinal damage.

The CDC says, do not touch or squash the bug. Place a container on top of the bug, slide the bug inside, and fill it with rubbing alcohol or, if not available, freeze the bug in the container.

Then, you may take it to your local extension service, health department, or a university laboratory for species identification. In the event that none of these resources is available in your area, you may contact CDC’s Division of Parasitic Diseases and Malaria (parasites@cdc.gov) for species identification or T. cruzi testing.

http://www.fox5dc.com/health/54227244-story

I've seen them all the times, and even sleep with them. :lol: Kissing bugs are confirmed in California as well. Yuck.

Is there a cure for that?

Americans from Florida stay where you are.any Brits there control yourselves don't kiss them

Great. Another bug to worry about.

Killer bees, Lyme ticks, bed bugs, Rocky Mountain spotted tick, brown recluse spiders….

Killer bees, Lyme ticks, bed bugs, Rocky Mountain spotted tick, brown recluse spiders….

....and the list goes on, I've never heard of this one, but I'm sure it will work its way north and we'll have them up here one day, :ugh:

....and the list goes on, I've never heard of this one, but I'm sure it will work its way north and we'll have them up here one day, :ugh:

My ex husband and I were walking on a beach barefoot and a police came by and told us we should put our shoes back on b/c there were some kind of parasites that got into your feet and then into your body ! We were :shock: and :eek3: and put our shoes back on very fast ! I can't recall what kind of parasites it was but this was Massachusetts . I HATE
parasites ! GROSS!

My ex husband and I were walking on a beach barefoot and a police came by and told us we should put our shoes back on b/c there were some kind of parasites that got into your feet and then into your body ! We were :shock: and :eek3: and put our shoes back on very fast ! I can't recall what kind of parasites it was but this was Massachusetts . I HATE
parasites ! GROSS!

You're right, gross and just,YIKES!!

You defiantly keep recluse spider.Glandular fever use be called kissing disease

and fire ants and hobo spiders too.

I hate bugs especially bedbugs and this bug looks like a nightmare!!!

How could I forget fire ants?! :o

It was originally from Alabama and they spread like crazy over the south. :lol:

My grandparents didn't find about fire ants until 1960s as they spread to North Alabama at that time.

I hate bugs especially bedbugs and this bug looks like a nightmare!!!

I never seen bedbug I don't know anyone who do..I would get rid of beds carpets thought of them horrible,but with so many people travelling or coming to live here it going to happen.We already have Bot fly and friend of mine caught malaria at hotel near Heath Row.my vet said he seeing sort of worms you get in other countries that transferable to humans

Back