Is Windex good for cleaning eyeglasses?

Royale

Reaction score
Yesterday, I saw one of my fellow workers use WINDEX to clean his eyeglasses and I felt like :eek3:. WTF!

Is it good for cleaning eyeglasses? I always use water to clean my eyeglasses.

I think it is too strong for the plastics in eyeglass lenses. I have a spray bottle of solution that was given to me with glasses.

i never forget how my dad was so ANAL to take care of his glasses. He assures me to use the special cloth that is used for glasses. ha

i think that is a bad idea because the len has special layers on it and the windex can ruins the len.

i would have agree with posts!!!!

i dont think windex not good idea for glasses clean! that not good choice for glasses clean they can damages on lens! but my family never using windex nor whatevers types glasses bottles spray on glasses!

i would chose types spray for glasses because i didnt told my mom about that but i told my grandmother about my plans to get reading glasses this weekend or before.But i can easy to read on computer or reading books,magazines because im almost my eyes got shut-up!

I have always used windex. Hasn't damaged my glasses.

The stuff that the eye glasses place give you is nothing but rubbing alcohol. At least that is what it smells like to me.

The stuff that the eye glasses place give you is nothing but rubbing alcohol. At least that is what it smells like to me.

Actually, it can do damages to eyeglasses with coatings on. They also advise against using Windex to clean LCD TV displays for a good reason.

I was advised by the optician not to ever use Windex for cleaning the eyeglasses. He advised that the best thing to do is to use a cloth that is designed for cleaning the lens and also to use a solution.

The Windex may be safe for the glass, but don't spray it directly onto eyepieces because you don't want to find out the hard way since it eats the cement that holds the lens elements together. Apply it to lens tissue or cloths before use.

my wife gets pissed if i try to clean my sunglasses she made for me with windex or my shirt and breath fog or even a napkin. Its not easy living with a wife who works in the eyeglass industry.:roll: - so take it from me - If you not around , ill use what i got and havent seen any problems yet otherwise - she can clean it. if she balks at cleaning it , then i'm cleaning it my way, I am not the type to fuss over glasses.:roll:

Ammonia will damage the layers on glasses with the transition lens. the kind that changes from dark to clear.

Windex contains ammonia, the spray they give you contain alcohol which will clean your glasses and dry fast, while not damaging your lens.

That is why wal-mart offers lifetime eyeglass cleaning solution whenever I purchased glasses for my kids, I took one or two bottles of them. It is much safer than windex because whenever I see someone using that, the fumes from windex also hurt a bit on their eyes when putting the eyeglasses on! It's best to use water and clean off with soft cloth or use the solution to clean it off and make sure you have cloth to wipe that off with....

I don't recommend using windex on eyeglasses as it can damage it overtime. I never used that to clean them. The best way is to use the lens cleaner or special cloth to clean it. The same lens cleaner that you use to clean camera lens or similar.

It is probably real diluted, tho...

Hmmm.. I will take it into consideration. Thanks for the heads up guys! :)

I would recommend against using water all the same, because it can cause stains and build up and just get ucky. Ditto on the windex. Pop over to an eyeglass or camera shop and buy yourself a cleaning kit which will come with a dropper bottle of cleaning solution and a lint-less microfiber cloth to clean the lenses with.. the best option all around, and the bottle and cloth will do you out no more than 5$ and last FOREVER.

I would recommend against using water all the same, because it can cause stains and build up and just get ucky. Ditto on the windex. Pop over to an eyeglass or camera shop and buy yourself a cleaning kit which will come with a dropper bottle of cleaning solution and a lint-less microfiber cloth to clean the lenses with.. the best option all around, and the bottle and cloth will do you out no more than 5$ and last FOREVER.

Actually, I don't care for the cleaning solutions. I've been rinsing my eyeglasses under water and then wipe it dry with a soft sheet of toilet paper or facial tissue.

Well, if you think about it, the cleaning solution is mostly water too. I rinse my eyeglasses under hot water at least twice a day then wipe it dry and it's smudge-free. Cleaning solutions has never been that great for me. Even with lint-less microfibre cloth. So far, I prefer water to anything else.

It hasn't damaged any pairs of eyeglasses I've had and I've been doing this for a decade.

If your eyeglasses start to build up some sort of fungus/green stains, it's more than likely it is made out of some cheap metal. Especially the tiny screws at ends of the bridge, they can get quite nasty.

I don't buy cheap eyeglasses, and not from Walmart. So I may recommend against using water for these with cheap eyeglasses.

My eye doc gave me special cloth to clean my glasses
with it so thats what i do...never said anything about not
using Windex or anything like that...didnt know that it would
damage your glasses..wow! Thanks for the warning, though.

"Is Windex good for cleaning eyeglasses?"

I don't know if Windex is good for cleaning eye glasses, however, I Love it! :laugh2:

I am a 'Mr Monk' when it comes to keeping my eye glasses, computer and TV screen clean. :giggle:

Besides, it seems whenever I am in a hurry, I cannot find one of my regular eye glass cleaning tissues thingies. :lol:

I believe the professionals are right about not using Windex to clean eye glasses. Oh well.

I was told it is OK to use Windex (the clear one) that it does not contain ammonia in it.

If you want Windex with no ammonia then get Windex Crystal Rain or auto glass cleaner that don't contain ammonia.

It can find in auto dept at retail store for Windex auto glass cleaner.

I've always used rubbing alcohol and a "flour sack" dishtowel I keep specially for that purpose. It's good for getting greasy smudges off that water won't clean, and it dries fast. I never had a problem, but I don't have the Transitions lenses.

Back