Esteem - Hearing Implant?

I think Kokonut brought it up in Sailerboy's thread about waterproof hearing aids.

I think it is not for people with profound losses.

Aimed toward late deafened adults. Website is a bunch of blown up advertising. Research results are not reported so that you can really tell anything about them.

I don't like the idea that the battery is surgically changed every 4 yrs....

That concerned me, as well. I would really hate to see this implanted in a young adult. Look at all the surgeries they would face over a lifetime. And all just so people couldn't see their HA.

Frankly, if someone is that concerned about their HA being visable, they would do better to take the money they would spend on this implant and put it into some therapy.

That concerned me, as well. I would really hate to see this implanted in a young adult. Look at all the surgeries they would face over a lifetime. And all just so people couldn't see their HA.

Frankly, if someone is that concerned about their HA being visable, they would do better to take the money they would spend on this implant and put it into some therapy.

If I was going to go under the knife for sound, I would only want to go through with it once and ONLY once.

I guess thats incredibly sneaky on their part though to keep the money flowing in their pockets though. But now what happens if your out of cash because your stuck paying for this and they wont renew your battery? your stuck with this til you can afford to pay for it. I'm curious to know how much it is for a new battery.

hell, I'm having trouble paying off my hearing aid thats $2,500 (only ($1,100 to go woohoo!) why in the hell would I want to sink deeper into debt?

Yes, I have a feeling that only high end insurances will cover this. Most insurances don't even cover hearing aids, or even fully cover CIs or MAPPings etc.
And i don't get it...Why hide the fact that you're hoh? I LIKE it when people notice my hearing aids. It tells them I am hoh.

Yes, I have a feeling that only high end insurances will cover this. Most insurances don't even cover hearing aids, or even fully cover CIs or MAPPings etc.
And i don't get it...Why hide the fact that you're hoh? I LIKE it when people notice my hearing aids. It tells them I am hoh.

I would imagine some were bullied so badly as kids because of it that someone would be so willing to go through with it to hide it. My hearing aid isn't as noticeable but it is viable still.

I would imagine some were bullied so badly as kids because of it that someone would be so willing to go through with it to hide it
. yeah, but as Jillo said, the implant is targeted towards the type of people who think " OH NOES! Wearing a hearing aid means I'm OLD. Hearing aids are UGLY!" :roll:

I mean seriously, I have a Starkey RIC and I LOVE it so much, I just wish I can hear better with it on but thats not the hearing aid's doing.

Hearing aids has advanced! if only people would look into it. :) should never have to be ashamed of hearing loss. I've accepted mine :)

You know, I will never understand the type of people who opt for invisable aids over BTEs. It's not like a BTE is one of those 1930's body worn aids or an ear horn.
And I love (sarcasm) how they're all " you can swim and all that sort of stuff"
So? That is part of being hoh......Why the heck would you want to hear all the time?
Seriously, I think this is going to receive some interest,but then sink like a stone.

You know, I will never understand the type of people who opt for invisable aids over BTEs. It's not like a BTE is one of those 1930's body worn aids or an ear horn.
And I love (sarcasm) how they're all " you can swim and all that sort of stuff"
So? That is part of being hoh......Why the heck would you want to hear all the time?
Seriously, I think this is going to receive some interest,but then sink like a stone.

I could of gone with IIC, CIC, but honestly I don't even like the idea of it possibly being stuck in my ear... even if it isn't likely.

My RIC is only a bit smaller than the BTE but same idea. Its classy looking and it still tells other people "hey, I'm HOH" I couldn't imagine going through that implant and trying to explain to people your HOH and they look at you like your an idiot.

your RIC does look cool :)

I wish I knew about them before I bought my new black Siemens BTE -
now I have to wait another 5 years for these!

Fuzzy

your RIC does look cool :)

I wish I knew about them before I bought my new black Siemens BTE -
now I have to wait another 5 years for these!

Fuzzy

Thanks! I absolutely love it!

Just go to starkey.com and you can find a store near you. More than likely you can try one out for 30 days free. Thats partly what won me over with it. Very clear sound (that I can remember, its been awhile since I heard clearly but again, its not the hearing aid, I'm going through some ear issues) but man I wish I had this back in the day!

I would absolutely love to see a review from you between your BTE and the RIC!

oh boy good thinking, grummer. I keep thinking how uneasy any foreign object gets in my body or head. *shudder*

as most of you guys know, I love my implants, and use it everyday like its a drug...

I would avoid this at all costs! Lol, surgery every 4 years so you can not show the processor? Pathetic.

dude, I prefer a regular BTE hearing aid over the Esteem and that implant are for peeps who has moderate to severe loss
2, I wouldn't go for that so I'm sticking with my purple BTE hearing aid that I ♥

Back