Esteem - Hearing Implant?

Just go to starkey.com and you can find a store near you. More than likely you can try one out for 30 days free. Thats partly what won me over with it. Very clear sound (that I can remember, its been awhile since I heard clearly but again, its not the hearing aid, I'm going through some ear issues) but man I wish I had this back in the day!

Thank you :)

I have to wait though, as the Siemens I bought a year ago was kinda pricey, so... gotta give it as much time as it is due.
But already I can't wait to look as cool as you! :)

About Esteem.
It occurred to me that perhaps some pple who lost their hearing later in life, and also are for example holding high business position,
like maybe a VIP or CEO or the likes,
might be afraid to look "weak" or "unprofessional" if they were to wear hearing aids. Hence the Esteem.

Also, even with frequent surgeries it is still a very convenient hearing aid, come to think of it.
We have to change our batteries every what- two or less weeks?
have to take them off while we sleep, can't get them soaked, etc.
Again - Esteem looks like an easy and convenient way for a busy businessman or businesswoman who doesn't want to be bothered
with all this bupkies stuff.

And while the surgery to implant is more complicated, the battery change I think requires only very minor procedure,
probably like cut the flap of surface skin, remove the battery, put the new one in, sew the flap again, and done. Just my guess, I dunno.
To the best of my understanding, this is done under local anesthesia only
so there is no danger or being put under.

I know, still a bit high price for 4 - 6 years of convenience, but like the saying goes-
to each his own..

Fuzzy

There's one like this but as a cochlear implant by Cochlear America, I think.

It's somewhere on this forum, but it's interesting how such companies are beginning to put HA/CI inside one's head and slap "Noone can see you and your CI/HA. Come get one!" as a marketing strategy.

I want results. I want affordability, and most of all, a secure plan in case the CI/HA breaks... inside your head. I would wait and let all the huge risk-takers take a dip and try it out to let me know how it is.

There's one like this but as a cochlear implant by Cochlear America, I think.

It's somewhere on this forum, but it's interesting how such companies are beginning to put HA/CI inside one's head and slap "Noone can see you and your CI/HA. Come get one!" as a marketing strategy.

I want results. I want affordability, and most of all, a secure plan in case the CI/HA breaks... inside your head. I would wait and let all the huge risk-takers take a dip and try it out to let me know how it is.

I think I'm with you on this one. I tend to be a medium to late adopter of technological stuff in general, and am really, really slow to agree to surgery for anything. I waited a few years fighting off the last surgical procedure I had, which really I should have done earlier, but I kept looking for alternatives. (Had nothing to do with hearing.)

At the same time, I think Audiofuzzy is making some good points there. Nothing in life is totally without risk, and if these early adopters think the benefits outweigh the risks, as far as they can tell - well, good on 'em, and I hope it works out well for everyone who might do it.

At the same time, I think Audiofuzzy is making some good points there. Nothing in life is totally without risk, and if these early adopters think the benefits outweigh the risks, as far as they can tell - well, good on 'em, and I hope it works out well for everyone who might do it.

Also, one more thing came to me after yesterday - how sometimes it is annoying
when people constantly ask you the same qqq over and over about your HA.
You get tired of it.
It's probably ever worse for those with CI, because it does look more intriguing.

You don't get this with invisible Esteem!

Fuzzy

I have to wait though, as the Siemens I bought a year ago was kinda pricey, so... gotta give it as much time as it is due.
But already I can't wait to look as cool as you! :)

About Esteem.
It occurred to me that perhaps some pple who lost their hearing later in life, and also are for example holding high business position,
like maybe a VIP or CEO or the likes,
might be afraid to look "weak" or "unprofessional" if they were to wear hearing aids. Hence the Esteem.

Also, even with frequent surgeries it is still a very convenient hearing aid, come to think of it.
We have to change our batteries every what- two or less weeks?
have to take them off while we sleep, can't get them soaked, etc.
Again - Esteem looks like an easy and convenient way for a busy businessman or businesswoman who doesn't want to be bothered
with all this bupkies stuff.

And while the surgery to implant is more complicated, the battery change I think requires only very minor procedure,
probably like cut the flap of surface skin, remove the battery, put the new one in, sew the flap again, and done. Just my guess, I dunno.
To the best of my understanding, this is done under local anesthesia only
so there is no danger or being put under.

I know, still a bit high price for 4 - 6 years of convenience, but like the saying goes-
to each his own..

Fuzzy

There is a risk with any surgery; even those considered to be minor. That is why you have to sign an informed consent form prior to any procedure.

There is a risk with any surgery; even those considered to be minor. That is why you have to sign an informed consent form prior to any procedure.

AND read the SMALL PRINT.
always!

Fuzzy

Honestly? I used to HATE it when people noticed my hearing aid back in the day. Now, being an adult, it is a part of me. Without it I can't hear almost at all. With it I still face issues but its still enough to help me get around where I need to.

I would definitely wait til this thing becomes more advanced, more research is done with it. Til then I'll stick with my hearing aid. I am curious about a CI though.

Some people will tell you that slow is good - and it may be, on some days - but I am here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. Being shot out of cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles. I would definitely wait till this thing becomes more advanced; more research is done with it. Till then I'll stick with my hearing aid. I am curious about a CI though.

HI, as for the Esteem, I am looking into seeing if I qualify. Also, is not because people want to hide their hearing aide surgical procedure. It is because the whole implant is implanted inside you and it is for people with sensorineural hearing loss. Regular hearing aides do not work on me - believe me, I have tried the best every 3 or 4 years. VA pays for it and it only the h.a.s not only makes sounds louder for me but also more garbled because I have sensorineural hearing loss very bad. So, I checked into this Esteem - I will consult with the VA and see if they will pay for it then I might get them.
Esteem products says because the implant is inside - it is direct sound I would hear as opposed to the hearing aides that collects all sounds outside of the ear. Of course I will get more answers to many questions - once I'm approved.

HI, as for the Esteem, I am looking into seeing if I qualify. Also, is not because people want to hide their hearing aide surgical procedure. It is because the whole implant is implanted inside you and it is for people with sensorineural hearing loss. Regular hearing aides do not work on me - believe me, I have tried the best every 3 or 4 years. VA pays for it and it only the h.a.s not only makes sounds louder for me but also more garbled because I have sensorineural hearing loss very bad. So, I checked into this Esteem - I will consult with the VA and see if they will pay for it then I might get them.
Esteem products says because the implant is inside - it is direct sound I would hear as opposed to the hearing aides that collects all sounds outside of the ear. Of course I will get more answers to many questions - once I'm approved.

SweetPolly more power to you :D Please let us know how your experience with it is if you get approved.

I personally couldn't go through with it but that's just me.

lol?

Look into the Harmony from AB. They have the mic within the same spot as normal "sound" Vibration goes into.

Idk why you care if people see it on the outside. Plus my implants always has a thing that breaks every year like a wire connectivity and such.

I don't think I would want Esteem...I don't want to be under the knife over and over again to replace the battery every 4 years if i'm correct? I prefer my cochlear implant better as well as the hearing aids. I like to be under the knife only once. And yeah all surgeries are a huge risks. Not just cochlear implants surgeries or Esteem surgeries. And I mean if you get Esteem, how will one know that you're truly deaf? i mean It's a part of you that you shouldn't be shy about or ashamed about it. I mean I'm comfortable with my implants wide out in the open for everyone to see. Honestly, i don't care what people think about me and my implants. It's who i am.

I admit I didn't researched Esteem that well but perhaps not everyone is
a good candidate for CI but good for Esteem?

Fuzzy

audiofuzzy, it said that's for peeps with moderate-severe loss and I'm wayyyyyy overated since my loss is acutally severe now lol.

ladysolitary85, if you have moderate to severe hearing loss then Esteem is not for you, as your hearing loss may progress with age (sorry :(), I did contact the Esteem people and they have chased me to no end but when I mentioned it to my audi that day she told me I qualify for CI not Esteem, I was crushed that day (15 months back), I never thought I was a CI candidate, anyway, now I'm over 4 months post CI and activation and could not be happier, have not used my latest tech hearing aid (oticon) in the other ear since my activation and not sure I was to use it either.
Yes I agree Esteem may be invisible and the CI is way visible unless you have a long thick hair like me, I also do agree about the fact I don't like to show my hearing aids or CI for every single person on the plant and that's why I wanted Esteem however it seems that the only people who know (brag) about it is the company who created it, not good at all :), keep in mind that with a hearing aid you will have so many options to change from Oticon to Phonak to ......, to get a better one in the future or whatever while Esteem don't have this wide range of choices, you get what you get and there is no way back. The latest hearing aids technologies offer so much in regard of background noise and stuff I don't think Esteem is as a high tech as Oticon or Phonak so be careful, I don't the $30,000 worth the price of pain and then you will end up with some inferior hearing aid in your head just because you don't want it to show, I would for sure would have gone for it if I qualify and my hearing loss was not progressive and if this thing will give me much more quality sound compared to my latest hearing aid or any hearing aid in the market.
When Esteem people tell you that the sound is direct, they are only talking about the effect of the mold you use in your hearing aid and that what Esteem is trying to avoid which is true but that's it, it's a middle ear implant, it won't give you direct sound (nerve) like the CI, none of that.

ladysolitary85, if you have moderate to severe hearing loss then Esteem is not for you, as your hearing loss may progress with age (sorry :(), I did contact the Esteem people and they have chased me to no end but when I mentioned it to my audi that day she told me I qualify for CI not Esteem, I was crushed that day (15 months back), I never thought I was a CI candidate, anyway, now I'm over 4 months post CI and activation and could not be happier, have not used my latest tech hearing aid (oticon) in the other ear since my activation and not sure I was to use it either.
Yes I agree Esteem may be invisible and the CI is way visible unless you have a long thick hair like me, I also do agree about the fact I don't like to show my hearing aids or CI for every single person on the plant and that's why I wanted Esteem however it seems that the only people who know (brag) about it is the company who created it, not good at all :), keep in mind that with a hearing aid you will have so many options to change from Oticon to Phonak to ......, to get a better one in the future or whatever while Esteem don't have this wide range of choices, you get what you get and there is no way back. The latest hearing aids technologies offer so much in regard of background noise and stuff I don't think Esteem is as a high tech as Oticon or Phonak so be careful, I don't the $30,000 worth the price of pain and then you will end up with some inferior hearing aid in your head just because you don't want it to show, I would for sure would have gone for it if I qualify and my hearing loss was not progressive and if this thing will give me much more quality sound compared to my latest hearing aid or any hearing aid in the market.
When Esteem people tell you that the sound is direct, they are only talking about the effect of the mold you use in your hearing aid and that what Esteem is trying to avoid which is true but that's it, it's a middle ear implant, it won't give you direct sound (nerve) like the CI, none of that.

Oh no I just posted this thread to see if anyone has heard of it and to discuss the topic lol. I wouldn't want Esteem, I wear my 'm hearing aid proudly and if I was to go for a CI I would try it but That really all depends on my health insurance's coverage.

Yes, I understand about the surgery fear - Im a little scared thinking of the surgery - but I have tried so many hearing aides over the years and they wont work for me - last year the VA hadn't approved it and they are going to now...so I'm consulting now with them. I was hoping someone else has had them implanted so I can ask their experience with them - other then what I read over the net.
I sure will let you all know how they work and what happens if I do get them.

Back