Vizio won't show DVD CC; why?!

Dory

Reaction score
I have a Vizio 50" LCD connected to a Sony DVD player via component (not HDMI). It will not show CC on my DVDs.

I don't mean subtitles; Deaf folk know there is big difference between CC and subtitles, right?! :lol:

I have been through the Vizio manual and I can't figure out how to turn on CC for DVDs. It shows CC great on all my DTV channels. I went through the Sony manual and no luck there, either.

I know the CC is on the DVD because the CC shows up on old TV. But not on my new TV! So frustrating that CC works on my old crappy TV but not on the TV I spent $1800 on!

Another Iowa. No wonder.

Just go to sony dvd player's setup *without a disc* and you will see CC in there to enable.

Another Iowa. No wonder.

Just go to sony dvd player's setup *without a disc* and you will see CC in there to enable.

WHat do you mean by that? I am an Iowan with Vizio plasma who can set up for CC or SDH on my equipment!

I don't think Iowa is part of the equation if you were referring to me. :mad2:

Are you using regular AV cables or component cables? If using component cables, CC won't work that way.

Are you using regular AV cables or component cables? If using component cables, CC won't work that way.

Nah.

AV and Component cable are still work great with CC for any LCD/Plasma.

HMDI is work great for Player/DVR/media center with built-in CC.

Dory, have you turn on the subtitles in DVD's main menu? Or look up for CC option in DVD player's setup menu?

Thanks, everyone! I'm'a take all the discs out and check the DVD settings.

P.S. At first I thought, hey Iowa ppl aren't dumb, but then I see you're kidding :)

Thanks, everyone! I'm'a take all the discs out and check the DVD settings.

P.S. At first I thought, hey Iowa ppl aren't dumb, but then I see you're kidding :)

That's great, you solved the problem.

Oh! Whoops. Sorry about that. You never said. :Oops:

That's fine, I was mean that Iowa people have a lot bad luck. I had to help them to solve the problem and good luck.

I took out all DVDs and got my manuals back out for both DVD and TV. Worked with both TV menu and DVD menu for about an hour each and still have no luck.

I think it's DVD player's fault.

TV: I have menu set to automatically have CC on for both analog and digital.

DVD player: I found no CC settings whatsoever. Not even in the index at the end of the manual! Only options for subtitles.

Still have no captions from this closed captioned DVD. The back of the box says it's CC and the CC shows up on the old TV/DVD so it's not the DVD's fault.

I'm so frustrated because I am so NOT dumb about technological things (that's not a zing at you, Highlander, we're ok!) and in fact, I'm a pretty big gadget queen. But I've had this set up for a couple years and have never been able to figure it out. I have googled the shit out of it. I wish I had done better research before I bought these TV and DVD player, but I've never had trouble with Sony before so didn't think CC would be a problem with this player.

Thanks for all your help anyway, guys! My first "real" post in these forums and I'm really happy with the community you guys have here!

Dory

Check the DVD player to see if the progressive mode is enabled, if it is. Disable it or switch it to interlaced mode.

Yep that's what Banjo said, turn off the progressive, the player compressed would not show the CC. Don't buy if the setting don't have in the menu and get non-progressive DVD player.

Or if you have xbox 360, you can use to play DVD. the Xbox 360 don't have progressive mode.

My older DVD player don't have progressive :)

I got all kinds of stoked when I read this.

Husband grabbed remote and turned off progressive. Still not work.

*grabs an elephant gun and points at TV*
*reconsiders and puts it down with a big sigh*

are you watching any rentals? Like "UP" if so, they have taken out the special bonuses for rental and subtitles have been removed because of that. Some DVD movies don't have CC but have subtitles.

I had tried to watch DVD movies on Xbox 360 with component cable and CC won't show from TV and Xbox 360 don't have option to turn CC on.

I got all kinds of stoked when I read this.

Husband grabbed remote and turned off progressive. Still not work.

*grabs an elephant gun and points at TV*
*reconsiders and puts it down with a big sigh*

Did you check the component video input on your TV to see if the CC is enabled via the TV setup menu?

On new TVs these days, people often have to turn on CC on each video input rather than set it for all of the inputs.

My Playstation 2 slimline can shows the CC or subtitles via component cables; however, television does the works on CC while the PS2 do subtitles by my choice. My television is Panasonic flat-screen, not HDTV.

No, but I heard about that. This is Season 7 of West Wing that I own.

Back