Cochlear recalls Nucleus CI500

wow that is intersting news I never heard it sound beta on update!

I read that article today. Looked scary.

It is truly frightening. I get so tired of CI sugery being portrayed as simple, in and out, short recovery, and then, Bam!...my kid can hear, type of surgery.

It is truly frightening. I get so tired of CI sugery being portrayed as simple, in and out, short recovery, and then, Bam!...my kid can hear, type of surgery.

I get your gist and agree with it, surgery is surgery, but I can't help but point out that my 12 month old daughter went in for bilateral surgery at 8am and was home and running around our house eating crackers and playing by 4pm like nothing ever happened. And one month later when they switched her on, Bam!, she could hear.

It is an outpatient procedure that is in and out with few complications and little risk, and the results can be very, very good.

I get your gist and agree with it, surgery is surgery, but I can't help but point out that my 12 month old daughter went in for bilateral surgery at 8am and was home and running around our house eating crackers and playing by 4pm like nothing ever happened. And one month later when they switched her on, Bam!, she could hear.

It is an outpatient procedure that is in and out with few complications and little risk, and the results can be very, very good.

For your daughter, it may have been. So, she could immediately distinguish and discriminate the various sounds in the environment and understand speech? If not, she could not hear. She could merely perceive stimuli. Huge, huge difference. Hearing is a complicated process that involves interpretation of stimuli.

The results can be very, very good. The results can also be very, very poor. The results can also be health issues down the road that require explant, yet another surgical procedure.

For your daughter, it may have been. So, she could immediately distinguish and discriminate the various sounds in the environment and understand speech? If not, she could not hear. She could merely perceive stimuli. Huge, huge difference. Hearing is a complicated process that involves interpretation of stimuli.

The results can be very, very good. The results can also be very, very poor. The results can also be health issues down the road that require explant, yet another surgical procedure.

Then what would you call it, if not "hearing"?

That's quite a definition of hearing that you've made up there. Hearing is the perception of sound stimuli. Look it up. Yes, my daughter immediately responded to sounds in her environment, and could discriminate between tones and hand claps, and even find them from a completely different part of the house. She was able to hear from day 1. Within a few weeks she was able to distinguish the difference between the dogs panting softly below her bedroom window and a cat meowing in the same place without seeing either of them. CIs work and they work well, and the risks associated with them are negligible.

:hmm: I guess I lose my hearing every time I travel to China: I can't understand even the simplest speech when I'm walking around.

So, she could immediately distinguish and discriminate the various sounds in the environment and understand speech? If not, she could not hear. She could merely perceive stimuli.

Back