Residual Hearing after CI

Did you lose your residual hearing after CI?

• Total voters
i'm completely amazed at how the brain can interpret sound from a ci and how various factors (such as length of deafness, time of language acquisition, auditory training, etc.) play a role in determining how well a ci candidate will perform with their implant.

Just like technology is changing rapidly, so are the new techniques of Cochlear Implant surgery. I had mine done in 2007 and my residual hearing had been preserved, even though I was warned that I would definitely lose it. How I checked my residual hearing - I wore my hearing aid on my implanted ear and I was hearing sounds too high pitched. I can say its definitely not the same before CI, but to some extent my residual hearing was preserved, if not all. But I hate my HA and just love my CI!!

i'm completely amazed at how the brain can interpret sound from a ci and how various factors (such as length of deafness, time of language acquisition, auditory training, etc.) play a role in determining how well a ci candidate will perform with their implant.

YEP!! Since Ive been deaf since birth, I'm responding to the CI in a very strange way. It felt very surreal initially. I can feel that I'm getting overstimulated because I can tell that as time goes by, my brain is calming down and starting to make the sounds more even and clearer (WITHOUT changing the CI at all!)

I've heard of people who use hearing aids that have pretty good hearing when the hearing aids are in use that just get tired of using them and opt to be implanted.

Also, I am not sure if its this case with all deaf people, but many profoundly deaf people are able to use hearing aids now. Hearing aid technology has really advanced over the years. Marlee Matlin, the famous deaf actor, is profoundly deaf and she's able to use hearing aids. She is just one example though.

So I guess my question is, do hearing aids disqualify someone from being implanted or are hearing aids just another option as far as technology goes?
Despite all fancy technology not everybody can use hearing aid, take me for example I couldn't wear hearing aid (90-115 loss) because it was painful, awful "whoosh" sensation, made me dizzy and speech sound like morse codes (dat dat dat daaat dat dat)

What an interesting thread. I just assumed, from all former knowledge, that when you got a CI you lost your residual hearing. So it is interesting for me to know that some of you retain some residual hearing. And Hear Again says the surgeries now are designed to preserve residual hearing. Guess I need to do some research on the development of CIs. I'm also interested in the results of the poll.
It varies on the individual. In most cases (from what I've heard), most or all residual hearing is lost.

That's why there's always a risk of losing your total hearing when you get implants.

Back