How did you defend thesis for your Master's degree?

Has anyone ever completed a Master's degree and did a thesis defense? If so, how did you defend your thesis? Was yours an oral thesis defense, sign language...? Of course, for me, it was an oral thesis defense for the M.S. degree in Geology at University of Idaho. Mine took approximately 1 1/2 hours in front of sitting professors who grilled me, including taking questions from students who were there to watch and listen to my thesis defense, as well as lending support. I think I lost a couple of pounds that time. LOL

Curious as to how others did theirs.

Haven't done Masters program yet. Don't have time and money to do it yet as I have a hefty family obligation to take care first.

but curious - what was your thesis?

If so, there must have been several retakes on courses.

Well let's not jump to conclusions. I know nothing about geology study, but I am a little curious to know why it took 4 years to get a master's degree...

Enlighten us please, Koko?

Bachelor's Degrees in Geology will be enough for me. :lol: Err...I'm working on it. Bloody nightmare mathematics, they slow me down.

What's wrong with four years? He could have had a lot on his plate. I don't think he's one who would need retakes very often, if at all.

I don't mind. Just about everyone already knows. Clinical counseling psychology.
That would have been my guess sooner or later.

I have only been on this board a short time, so I just didn't know.

What's wrong with four years? He could have had a lot on his plate. I don't think he's one who would need retakes very often, if at all.

I don't know of any Master's programs with a 4 year curriculum for a full time student.

I don't know of any Master's programs with a 4 year curriculum for a full time student.
Does that mean if someone has to drop out of the program for whatever reason they would have to wait until whatever they had left was offered again during the course of the program?

well - I've never heard of 4 years Master program. 4 years in Master program is equivalent to 8 years in undergraduate program. Quite a handful of my friends have completed their Masters in 1-2 years (engineering/science programs).... while they have full-time job...

but I'm awaiting for kokonut's clarification or explanation.

well - I've never heard of 4 years Master program. 4 years in Master program is equivalent to 8 years in undergraduate program. Quite a handful of my friends have completed their Masters in 1-2 years (engineering/science programs).... while they have full-time job...

but I'm awaiting for kokonut's clarification or explanation.
That's an interesting equivalent you stated. Eight years of undergrad? Are you counting 100- and 200-level basic courses?

Anyway, let's hear from Kokonut.

I never said 4 years Masters program. I said my work spanned 4 years (my thesis work).

Yes, fulltime student.

I never said 4 years Masters program. I said my work spanned 4 years (my thesis work).

Yes, fulltime student.

If it took you 4 years to complete your meta analysis, then it took you 4 years to complete your thesis, and 4 years to be awarded the degree.

Most complete a thesis and all of the other academic requirements in 2 years maximum for a Master level degree.

How could you take enough credits to maintain full time status, and still take 4 years to complete the program? That makes no sense.

Yes, fulltime student.

what was your thesis work? the one you defended.

Jiro - "A modeling simulation of a gasoline contamination in an unconfined aquifer in Moscow, Idaho"

Hydrogeological investigation using computational models on the fate and transport behaviors of a 11,000 gallon gasoline leak into the unconfined aquifer. Documents of the spill site containing 10 years worth of accumulated data on BTEX (benzene, toulene, ethylxylene, xylene) groundwater samples along with geophysical investigations of shallow subsurface, geological and soil samples, monitor wells reports, stratigraphic descriptions and surface water data from nearby perennial creek were used for the purpose of obtaining improved understanding of the dynamics involved in the fate and transport, and groundwater flow with help of analytical and numerical models. My investigation also required the use of 2 and 3-D graphical software applications for surface/subsurface details on fate and groundwater flow, geology, and topography.

And, no, I never re-took any courses, either.

Then how did you manage to maintain enough credits for full time graduate status for 4 years? Master programs are laid out with specific curriculum. It isn't like a Bachelor degree where you take across disciplines. You study only your area, and a two year program has the curriculum to provide full time credits for 2 years. The only way to drag it out to 4 years is to either retake a bunch of courses you didn't make at least a B in (requirement for most programs), or to only go part time.

Jiro - "A modeling simulation of a gasoline contamination in an unconfined aquifer in Moscow, Idaho"

Hydrogeological investigation using computational models on the fate and transport behaviors of a 11,000 gallon gasoline leak into the unconfined aquifer. Documents of the spill site containing 10 years worth of accumulated data on BTEX (benzene, toulene, ethylxylene, xylene) groundwater samples along with geophysical investigations of shallow subsurface, geological and soil samples, monitor wells reports, stratigraphic descriptions and surface water data from nearby perennial creek were used for the purpose of obtaining improved understanding of the dynamics involved in the fate and transport, and groundwater flow with help of analytical and numerical models. My investigation also required the use of 2 and 3-D graphical software applications for surface/subsurface details on fate and groundwater flow, geology, and topography.

Published?

So, you resided in Moscow for the purpose of this research? Was your study a 2 by or a 4 by?

Moscow???? How dare someone named a town after a commie bastard!!! :lol:

btw - :ty: Interesting read. what was your finding?

It was a potential modeling scenario that worked out well and gave new insights in the restoration and clean-up of this multi-year underground gasoline spill.

Well let's not jump to conclusions. I know nothing about geology study, but I am a little curious to know why it took 4 years to get a master's degree...

Enlighten us please, Koko?

Since you asked nicely rather than assume or jump to conclusions with derision and snarky-ism, here's why.

A wife, two kids, and working nights. It was 3 years when I was getting ready to defend my thesis the upcoming summer. Then got an offer in a phone call in February to go into a SCEP (student career experience program that I signed up and completely forgot about it) which required 640 hours of work (two summers work) along with the completion of a degree would I get into a permanent "guaranteed" federal position. It's their way of investing in new and potential employees. A good program. A common program for undergrad and grad students. The only caveat was that you have to be a fulltime student. I took up the offer. They paid my 2 years of additional fulltime schooling while I completed the SCEP requirement. I actually had enough credits for two M.S. degrees (55 credits altogether) if I had another thesis to defend (no way). It actually took me 5.5 years, the 4 years was the span of time I did my thesis work. So, no, I didn't retake any courses nor did I fail any, either. My initial M.S. for first two years was geophysics (I love it!) before changing over to geology (hydrogeology) for tactical reasons and career potential in the geo/hydrology field once I graduate. I simply invested in myself and believed.

Enough of the naysayers. You know who you are. (not you alex, you had the courtesy to ask appropriately).

Back