What kind of schedule does a typical terp have?

Neptune

Reaction score
I was just curious. I assume it's different for each interpreter and it also depends on where the interpreter lives.
But I would really like to hear some of the best and the worst schedules any of you have had or have heard about. And how agencies determine who interprets for who.

While I am not a terp ( I'm Deaf ) I have had to use terps at all hours of the day and night. I'm not sure as they really have a set schedule, but I could be wrong. :dunno2: I know in some hospitals, they schedule them on standby by days.

More hospitals, govt agencies, workplaces (including USPS), businesses, etc use VRI now. It's available 24/7 via internet. Times change.

I had an interpreter yes, very much same interpreter when I was in labor and gave birth to baby while she was there for about 22 hours. :) I missed her. She passed away from the cervical cancer. She was there for my second baby too but it was about 6 hours.

Wow that's a long time for an interpreter for labors.

I never had interpreter for 2 of my births. I can't imagine having a stranger in my room during my private moments. I have heard of that but it's not for me. I can lipread and speak well enough so it wasn't a problem.

She was my hub's interpreter when he was a kid. She was an real COOL chick. She's an open minded chick. I met her and we got close fast. She was there to interpret for our wedding. :D Before that I plan not to have an interpreter but i met her and asked her to join with us. That wasn't planned though but worht it.

Schedules for terps vary. In general:

Some terps work for VRS or large companies such as hospitals or government agencies, and they have fairly regular schedules and salaries.

Some terps specialize in educational work, so they are on school schedules.

Some terps work for interpreting agencies and will work all kinds of hours and places. They aren't usually allowed to turn down work that is assigned to them.

Some terps are independent contractors (private practice or the old term "freelance") and have a little more flexibility with their schedules but can't afford to turn down much work.

I've worked as an agency terp, volunteer, and independent contractor with specialty in educational interpreting, so I've had a variety of schedules. The closest thing to a "regular" work schedule was when I did college interpreting or long-term public school substitute interpreting. Even that changed each semester. College classes were daytime, nighttime, weekdays and Saturdays.

Hospital calls were anytime, night or day. Sometimes I'd have to leave during a church service or in the middle of the night.

I've gone straight from a class assignment to a funeral in the next town with only a few minutes notice.

Deathbed assignments are the hardest. There's no knowing how long it will be and the emotions are very raw.

I've worked as an agency terp, volunteer, and independent contractor with specialty in educational interpreting, so I've had a variety of schedules. The closest thing to a "regular" work schedule was when I did college interpreting or long-term public school substitute interpreting. Even that changed each semester. College classes were daytime, nighttime, weekdays and Saturdays.

Hospital calls were anytime, night or day. Sometimes I'd have to leave during a church service or in the middle of the night.

I've gone straight from a class assignment to a funeral in the next town with only a few minutes notice.

Deathbed assignments are the hardest. There's no knowing how long it will be and the emotions are very raw.

How many assignments would you typically get for one day?

I did not know that ASL interpreters would have the hardest assignment especially at my husband's wake and funeral. I learn something from you. Sorry that it was difficult to interpret where emotions are raw. :(

When deaf patient has sleep study, the interpreter stays close by all night long while deaf patient goes to sleep with all the wirings attached to head and body. Every time deaf patient needs to get up to go to the bathroom, the deaf patient must click on remote to summon assistant to help and the interpreter would come with the assistant to talk to deaf patient. This can go on all night long every time needs to go to the bathroom or has questions to ask assistant from the deaf patient.

How many assignments would you typically get for one day?
Honestly, there is no typical day. Monday might be one assignment for one hour, Tuesday might be one all-day assignment, Wednesday might be six one-hour assignments, Thursday might be two daytime assignments and one late night assignment, Friday might be one all-night assignment, etc.

Also these assignments are not all in one place. I worked in a three-county range, public schools, college, hospitals, clinics, government offices, businesses, funerals--possibly all in one week.

Some of my colleagues also work out of state and have to fly to assignments or drive long distances.

Honestly, there is no typical day. Monday might be one assignment for one hour, Tuesday might be one all-day assignment, Wednesday might be six one-hour assignments, Thursday might be two daytime assignments and one late night assignment, Friday might be one all-night assignment, etc.

Also these assignments are not all in one place. I worked in a three-county range, public schools, college, hospitals, clinics, government offices, businesses, funerals--possibly all in one week.

Some of my colleagues also work out of state and have to fly to assignments or drive long distances.

Would there be certain days in the week that you would know that you aren't working that day? Or are you expected to be available everyday?

Would there be certain days in the week that you would know that you aren't working that day? Or are you expected to be available everyday?
There were some days (Sundays and holidays) I didn't expect to work at schools, government offices, or routine medical assignments. However, I was always "on call" for emergencies. The only way to be sure not to get a call would be to travel out of state or be hospitalized.

Wirelessly posted

I have a steady terp job part time and freelance on the side. I work emergencies and on-call. I enjoy freelance work bec it's a variety than just education what I currently do for a school it's post high school more like a trade school.

not sure what do you have schedule? sound look likes do you have problem terp :/

I experience to VRI many times problem lol, of course I have manually to interpreter is really professional. It of course pretty strictly confidential policy!

you should be trust to interpreter!.

Back