New from Maine

KaylaCatherine

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
My name is Kayla, and I am 20 years old. I am a hearing person taking ASL in college. I love ASL, and I plan to teach it to my children when I have them. I am looking for people around my age who are either learning ASL, or are hearing impaired and use ASL as their first language, so I can really practice using my new language. I have known the alphabet since elementary school, but it was not offered in high school, and I did not know any deaf people growing up.

I also love the camaraderie and cultural aspect of the deaf community and ASL.

I look forward to making new friends on this site!
Take care,
Kayla

welcome to AD kayla! how long have you been learning ASL?

Maine is a beautiful place to vacation. i go there a few times every year.

@smithtr - thank you very much :)

@Mintee - I took an ASL class after school when I was in 5th grade, but did not have the chance to use it until this year, when I began my current ASL class in August. We use the Bravo videos with Billy Seago to learn, but we don't really practice enough (mainly because of the way my college classes are set up, its really inconvenient). I think being exposed to it at a young age has helped me grasp it better now. :)

I love living in Maine, it is beautiful.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Don't ever use the word "hearing impaired"! Just use deaf and hard of hearing in your sentence.

Did you go to Deaf events in your area? You can sign and communicate with them.

You are lucky to have to sign ASL which we, deaf and hard of hearing, were not allowed to sign ASL at all in the mainstream schools. Hearing people don't understand deafness and think we can do by lipreading and listening the words with hearing aids and/or CI (Cochlear Implant). Uh, uh, no way can we try to understand by lipreading. As for listening the words (pick up the words), that is impossible for us to understand with CI and strong hearing aids. We still can hear environment sounds but not clearly. We don't want to struggle trying to understand hearing people. That is why we need ASL interpreters so that we can understand what they said.

So if you are looking for ASL for fun and not worry about how the deaf and hard of hearing people had to suffer under this condition without ASL. I am being blunt to face the truth. That is something you will learn about us and our deaf and hard of hearing perspectives right here on AD.

I hope you enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

Back