Deaf boy who needs a family

rockin'robin

Reaction score

Cradle of Hope Adoption Center, a nonprofit adoption agency with more than 24 years of experience in international adoption, is looking for a home for a 3 year old deaf boy. Junius is a sweet boy who is in good health. He was found abandoned behind an emergency center when he was 14 months old. Junius is described as cheerful, friendly, curious and strong-willed. He likes to help with chores, play outside, and to help other children. He loves to play with toy cars. We have a video of Junius that will melt your heart. Can you help Junius become all that he can be?

Married couples and single women, ages 30 - 55, are eligible to adopt Junius. One trip overseas is required to bring him home. Please contact me for more information.
Linda Perilstein
Executive Director
Cradle of Hope Adoption Center
301-587-4400

http://www.cradlehope.org/

Well that's discriminatory. Single women but not single men can adopt!

Well that's discriminatory. Single women but not single men can adopt!

Perhaps because of the country where the child is. They may have the restriction. Not saying it's fair, but many countries are still "backwards" in this regard.

Perhaps because of the country where the child is. They may have the restriction. Not saying it's fair, but many countries are still "backwards" in this regard.

Yes. I looked into international adoption years ago and every country has their restrictions on who can and can't adopt.

Adopting a deaf child was something I had wanted to do...now I'm too old to do so. Anyhow, deafness is genetic in my family...and if ever a great grandchild is born deaf, that would be really super!....

awww, hopefully he finds a loving home soon!

I am not at the legal age requirement for most many adoption agencies but when I get older, it is something I will definitely be looking into. When/if I have the opportunity to adopt, I plan on adopting a little one with Down Syndrome. In the US 90% of the fetuses with a DS diagnosis are terminated (sad, but a choice I believe every woman should be allowed to make). In other countries with limited medical equipment, these children are often abandoned or given to an orphanage immediately after the DS discovery...it's no secret that many of these orphanages lack any of the resources or trained staff to ensure proper development for all children...it's sad because many children with DS also have medical problems (often times with their heart) and they just do not get the care they need, which can ultimately shorten their life significantly

I am not at the legal age requirement for most many adoption agencies but when I get older, it is something I will definitely be looking into. When/if I have the opportunity to adopt, I plan on adopting a little one with Down Syndrome. In the US 90% of the fetuses with a DS diagnosis are terminated (sad, but a choice I believe every woman should be allowed to make). In other countries with limited medical equipment, these children are often abandoned or given to an orphanage immediately after the DS discovery...it's no secret that many of these orphanages lack any of the resources or trained staff to ensure proper development for all children...it's sad because many children with DS also have medical problems (often times with their heart) and they just do not get the care they need, which can ultimately shorten their life significantly

Just be VERY careful 90'sWizKid. I think some people can get all " Oh Down's kids are SO CUTE and so sweet!" without really looking at the whole picture with them. I mean yeah.... there ARE high functioning and mild Down's kids who are relatively easy to manage/raise......But I also think that people can and do forget that Down's can be impairing/ severe and come with significant behavorial issues. The type that are not fun to deal with. I have dealt with many adults with developmental issues...and trust me it is NOT fun when they think they get something, and they try too hard to understand it, and then they melt down and get mad....I also think a lot of potential parents of kids with developmental issues may not realize that they don't stay little/cute forever......It's SUPER sad to see adults with developmental issues who REALLY want a boyfriend or a girlfriend or to have real deep friends (as opposed to people they may interact with on a superficial level)

Just be VERY careful 90'sWizKid. I think some people can get all " Oh Down's kids are SO CUTE and so sweet!" without really looking at the whole picture with them. I mean yeah.... there ARE high functioning and mild Down's kids who are relatively easy to manage/raise......But I also think that people can and do forget that Down's can be impairing/ severe and come with significant behavorial issues. The type that are not fun to deal with. I have dealt with many adults with developmental issues...and trust me it is NOT fun when they think they get something, and they try too hard to understand it, and then they melt down and get mad....I also think a lot of potential parents of kids with developmental issues may not realize that they don't stay little/cute forever......It's SUPER sad to see adults with developmental issues who REALLY want a boyfriend or a girlfriend or to have real deep friends (as opposed to people they may interact with on a superficial level)

Thank you for getting this information out there! I know so many people who say they want a child with DS or whatever, without knowing the full reality of the lifelong commitment. Fortunately, I do have an idea on what I would be getting into. I have a B.A in Special Education, almost done with my M.A in Severe/Multiple Disabilities, and will be continuing on with a PhD in Childhood Development with a concentration in Disabilities. I also have a brother with Autism who is 40 and lives with my parents. I am very aware of what life is like after the school years and know the challenges the individual with special needs face as well as the aging parents.

Once again, thank you for bringing this up, it's VERY important for people to know everything before they make this decision. Can I say that I know everything about parenting a child with DS or another disability? Nope. But can anyone? I know parents (mine included) who have done an amazing job raising their child with special needs and when complimented, their first response is usually "aww, thank you, but I honestly still don't know what I'm doing". I think the same thing goes for parents of typical developing children as well.

Cradle of Hope Adoption Center, a nonprofit adoption agency with more than 24 years of experience in international adoption, is looking for a home for a 3 year old deaf boy. Junius is a sweet boy who is in good health. He was found abandoned behind an emergency center when he was 14 months old. Junius is described as cheerful, friendly, curious and strong-willed. He likes to help with chores, play outside, and to help other children. He loves to play with toy cars. We have a video of Junius that will melt your heart. Can you help Junius become all that he can be?

Married couples and single women, ages 30 - 55, are eligible to adopt Junius. One trip overseas is required to bring him home. Please contact me for more information.
Linda Perilstein
Executive Director
Cradle of Hope Adoption Center
301-587-4400

http://www.cradlehope.org/

Found:

cute kid!!

photo-13-150x150.jpg

I wish I could do that.

I would love to, even though I am perfectly qualified for but don't have enough space to offer. I love to have a Deaf kid.

I have Downs child and it not easy.Also depends which country as to how they treated

I have Downs child and it not easy.Also depends which country as to how they treated

You're totally right! It really does depend on the country, orphanage, and severity of the condition. I hope your child is doing well!!!

I wish I could adopt this boy. I don't have enough money to raise a child.

You're totally right! It really does depend on the country, orphanage, and severity of the condition. I hope your child is doing well!!!
I really don't appreciate your sarcasm. FYI I have friends whose kids have severe or profound issues, and they experiance stuff you really do not understand until you actually experiance it. They have told me some pretty bad things... You know, one of my friends, who is the mom of a severely affected kid says she pretty much has post tramatic stress disorder from dealing with raising her daughter. She loves her daughter....but she also has PTSD from dealing with the extreme high needs her daughter requires! This was after she posted an article about how parents of kids with autism(and classic autism, not talking about Asperger's or HFA) can and do experiance PSTD at high rates. There is a reason why there are not unknown cases of parents who snap and kill their very heavy need disabled (usually severe/profound intellectucal disability or severe/profound autism) kid. Even if you never thought that something like that could happen or that the parent could never do that....it can and does happen!
Even if you've observed what happens or studied what happens in a classroom it is VERY VERY different actually experiencing it. I know parents who were pro life and "awwww they're killing those poor sweet innocent babies!." Then they had kids who had severe or profound intellectucal issues......Their kids were manageable when they were young, but now that they're older and the parents are older, and things are a LOT tougher (especially with the budget cuts to programs and supports targeted toward children with severe and profound intellectucal and developmental issues) the parents are now beginning to think that they're beginning to be really burnt out, and that maybe a therapeutic abortion might have been more akin to "turning off life support" on a patient with a very low quality of life. Many of them are placing their kids in insistutions or group homes, and many of them are on anti depressants and in therapy, due to the intensity and stress of raising a severe special needs kid.
Try it on your own with little/no real support. You'll soon see what I am saying. It is NOT all sparkely sweet little kid who never grows up.
I hope and pray in 5-10 years they will find a cure for kids who are even mildly mentally disabled.

This lady seems really interested in adoption - and has a fund me page set up.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/lcj8

I must interject here - yes, it is expensive to adopt. It is a huge responsibility too. It is for life. Please, don't go posting a fund me page if you cannot find the means to financially support a child.

Find a job. get a loan.

Just my 2 cents.

This lady seems really interested in adoption - and has a fund me page set up.

https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/lcj8

I must interject here - yes, it is expensive to adopt. It is a huge responsibility too. It is for life. Please, don't go posting a fund me page if you cannot find the means to financially support a child.

Find a job. get a loan.

Just my 2 cents.

I am surprised that it costs $40,000 to adopt him! I get a vibe that the person who is doing a fundraising will not be able to provide a stable home for him.

That is the vibe I was getting too.

There is no dreamy .... "Oh, he was meant for me to adopt him" BS either. If it was meant to be, they would have already had the 40k.

she in residential home now,i know she wants come live with us but it no go I can't cope...They can be unbelievely stubbon refuse do anything just put weight on and I not in position I can take her out each day it kill me...lots people think a Downs are twee little things and that could not be father than the truth..the majority of Downs only do well if parents stayed very focus and it hard to do,i seen many parents burn out then spend rest of life on guilt trip

Back