Top Deaf Schools?

Warped

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how would AD members rank the top deaf schools in USA?
How about the colleges?

ALL of them offer awesome early intervention and early childhood (kindergarten and preschool) I would take an early childhood placement at a Deaf School over a mainstream school ANY DAY of the week!
Are you counting Deaf programs too? I think there are some very decent Deaf programs too.

Was more curious abt the schools for the deaf.. not mainstreamed schools or deaf programs.

I see your from MD i grew up there I have to say Maryland School for the Deaf Frederick Campus did really well with my daughter I have to say I really am thankful I placed her in a Deaf school

Yes, MD School for the Deaf is one of the good Deaf Schools. Also, TLC here in MA, the California Schools, Western PA School for the Deaf, Florida School for the Deaf and Blind .
One of the best things about Deaf Schools is that although there are a lot of kids who are behind or may have intellectucal disabilty, there are usually a significent number of kids who are academic kids. As opposed to the schools for the blind, who almost all have intellectucally disabled students. (with a very small smattering of only blind kids. There are only two good blind schools sadly. Unfortunatly for some reason there's not a lot of interest in revamping blind schools or offering "sight saving" style classrooms.

Maryland School for the Deaf? Worst school I ever seen, because of many parent's control over that school, and many students' parents work in school. Too much drama and favoritisms.

I see your from MD i grew up there I have to say Maryland School for the Deaf Frederick Campus did really well with my daughter I have to say I really am thankful I placed her in a Deaf school

I would definately consider it one of the top deaf schools.

Authentic's school for the deaf: #1

He is big papi principle, school is awesome. Teaches russian, english, asl, rsl, and has bodyguards stationed around the posts.

authentic- ALOT of parents are there but they have ASL classes and support groups and alot of Parent activities as far as teachers being parents I can say I have seen it my daughters teacher that came to my house worked with msd as an at home teacher and her son was in my daughters class but alot of them are hearing and want to be involved so shouldn't that be a good thing?

authentic- ALOT of parents are there but they have ASL classes and support groups and alot of Parent activities as far as teachers being parents I can say I have seen it my daughters teacher that came to my house worked with msd as an at home teacher and her son was in my daughters class but alot of them are hearing and want to be involved so shouldn't that be a good thing?

No. I was talking about parental control such as parents decide whether student should be punished or not, and decide what kind of punishment student should receive after this student did something wrong in that school. I remember when there are several students were in trouble, and school decided to give this student a conclusion, and several parents showed up and fought for this student, and this kid got nothing but other students still get punished due no one speak up for other students. It's a big image of favoritism. Do you like this idea? :hmm:

From my experience, the top Deaf schools would be MSD, TLC, TSD, CSDF, and FSDB.

honestly i didn't know that but sounds like favortism but I've only experienced the elementry school part with the family ed program and they were great

No. I was talking about parental control such as parents decide whether student should be punished or not, and decide what kind of punishment student should receive after this student did something wrong in that school. I remember when there are several students were in trouble, and school decided to give this student a conclusion, and several parents showed up and fought for this student, and this kid got nothing but other students still get punished due no one speak up for other students. It's a big image of favoritism. Do you like this idea? :hmm:

yes lots of favorisitism in every schools as well as after school programs. Like my kids' sports activities and every parents whose are favoritisms so you have to fight for your own. But i kow MSD is a good place for deaf kids. just saying.

From my experience, the top Deaf schools would be MSD, TLC, TSD, CSDF, and FSDB.

I'd probably add WesternPA to Shel's great list, not from personal experience but from what I've heard from others. From experience, though: TLC is an AMAZING school.

I was refering to Authentic School for the Deaf, not MD School for the Deaf. :giggle:

I'd probably add WesternPA to Shel's great list, not from personal experience but from what I've heard from others. From experience, though: TLC is an AMAZING school.

I dont know much about WesternPA. Glad to see another school added! The more good Deaf schools, the better. :)

I must admit CSD Riverside are improving a lot. Many deaf teachers/dorm counselors are moving in LA/Riverside from other states. They collapse old dorm buildings and already built the brand new earthquake-proof dorm buildings, and to me it is a luxury dorm with laundry unit in each building, and huge computer labs. I believe Riverside's student SAT scores will rebound anytime sooner.

http://csdr-cde.ca.gov/csdr-virtual-tour

Back