Confederate Flag

What does Confederate Rebel Flag means to you?

• A symbol of Civil War History

Votes: 41 25.8%
  • A symbol of racist

Votes: 44 27.7%
  • A symbol of Heritage (Civil War Veteran Generation)

Votes: 60 37.7%
  • Others - please specify

Votes: 14 8.8%

• Total voters
That could be true...

I think it will actually reverse everything.

As the saying goes,

"If we do not learn from history, we are doomed to repeat it."

peaceflag.jpg

If taking down the Confederate flag is going stop racist then putting up one with a peace sign should bring peace among us. It would be nice if things were that simple .

Georgia Will Keep Confederate Flag License Plates—With a Redesign

Sales were suspended several months ago

Georgia will resume selling specialty license plates featuring the Confederate flag after a redesign modifies their appearance.

Sales were suspended in June amid a national conversation about the flag’s place in American society, following the fatal attack on a historic black church in Charleston, S.C. While Georgia law requires a state-sponsored specialty plate for the Sons of Confederate Veterans, who are supported by proceeds from the plates, the governor ordered a redesign. The new version, to be made available soon, will remove the watermarked confederate flag spread over the background of the plate, but keep a smaller version of the flag in the foreground, with its color darkened to a “blood red,” the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports.

A reported 3,500 drivers have already signed up for the nw Confederate plates, and the Sons of Confederate Veterans said they’ve recently seen a spike in interest.

http://time.com/4049873/georgia-confederate-license-plates/

No surprise, more schools are banning the confederate symbols due to controversy, also K-12 students don't have full 1st Amendment rights as adult.

In here, many schools, especially majority black student population, banned confederate symbol and it fall under racist classification, also most schools adopted mandatory uniform and clear/mesh backpacks to get away from controversy over confederate symbols.

College students do have full 1st Amendment but some professors are likely to fail them if they wear confederate symbols to class so school admin told me that we need to be courteous, also they told me that I could get fired from work for using confederate symbol.

At UAB, the confederate symbols are mild frowned to students and professors but a lot worse at Gallaudet - no one respect you until you apologize and contribute to community accountability.

Brown signs to ban "Redskins" but Confederate Heroes vetoed.

California schools will no longer be allowed to use “Redskins” as a mascot or team name under legislation signed by Gov. Jerry Brown on Sunday.

But on this year’s deadline to sign bills, Brown vetoed a piece of legislation that sought to block public parks and buildings from being named after Confederate leaders out of similar concern that the practice was demeaning to certain groups.

The bills were among 61 proposals that the governor weighed in on Sunday. The legislation signed by Brown includes a ban on smokeless tobacco at professional baseball games as well as a requirement that ride-hailing companies such as Uber and Lyft better monitor the driving records of those contracted to give rides.

Brown rejected a bill that would have extended family leave by giving employees unpaid time off to care for more family members, such as grandparents, and another bill that would have allowed terminally ill patients to try experimental drugs when all else fails.

Under AB30, authored by Assemblyman Luis Alejo, D-Watsonville, public schools have until 2017 to phase out the use of the name “Redskins,” which the legislation calls “racially derogatory” to American Indians.

The law affects four public high schools: Gustine High School in Merced County, Calaveras High School in Calaveras County, Chowchilla Union High School in Madera County and Tulare Union High School in Tulare County.

Aid to schools

While the new law requires the state to provide money to help the schools transition to new names, whether that’s buying new uniforms or replacing signs, the schools aren’t likely to welcome the change.

The Tulare High website reads, “As Redskins, we are a part of a long and proud tradition dating back to 1890.”

The Legislature has tried twice since 2002 to ban Indian-themed mascots but both efforts failed.

SB539, introduced by state Sen. Steve Glazer, D-Orinda, proposed a ban on naming public property after an elected leader or senior military officer of the Confederacy. But Brown said the legislation reached too far.

“Recently we saw a national movement to remove the Confederate flag from the state capitols in the South — a long overdue action,” Brown wrote in a veto statement. “This bill, however, strikes me as different and an issue quintessentially for local decision makers.”

AB768, written by Assemblyman Tony Thurmond, D-Richmond, cites tobacco use by baseball players as setting a bad example for “impressionable youth” and bans snuff, chewing tobacco and dipping tobacco on the field, effective Dec. 1, 2016.

San Francisco Giants management could not be reached for comment Sunday, but the team has said before that the transition will be tough.

“We’ve talked about this. It’s a step in the right direction, I think,” manager Bruce Bochy, an on-and-off tobacco user, told The Chronicle in May. “It’s something that can be a good thing. It’s going to be hard to enforce. It’s such a tough habit to break.

AB1422 is an effort to boost safety on the road and comes amid increasing popularity of ride-hailing apps. The law will require companies such as Uber, which has had a number of questionable incidents with drivers, to coordinate with the Department of Motor Vehicles and regularly check driving records of contract drivers.

While earlier this month, the governor signed “right to die” legislation that allows the terminally ill to use prescription drugs to end their lives, Brown vetoed a related “right to try” measure Sunday. The proposal would have allowed terminally ill Californians who have exhausted treatment options to try unapproved medications. Almost 20 states have such laws.
Unpaid leave vetoed

The governor also vetoed a bill that would have allowed people to take unpaid leave to help more family members. California law currently allows employees to take off up to 12 weeks to assist sick children, parents and spouses. SB406, authored by Sen. Hannah-Beth Jackson, D-Santa Barbara, would have extended the benefit to care for a grandparent, grandchild, sibling or parents-in-law.

Sunday was the last day to approve or reject bills introduced during this year’s regular legislative session.

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Gov-Brown-signs-bill-to-ban-Redskins-name-6565089.php

I am interested in the whole story on this... There were some videos floating around that showed quite a bit of this... No guns or other weapons were visible... And while there were a lot of cars with flags they were there at a separate event... The harassed group was also quite large...
I still have not formed an option about this story because each side is saying the other was harassing and be belligerent towards the other... If I had to guess I would say both sides were showing their hinnies and now want to call fowl... Due to the current agendas the proflag group will lose...

I agree with the Brown/Native mascots thing. It's more than "PC", it's being aware of the genocide perpetuated on Native people in the United States <and Canada and Australia too, as a larger issue>, and how continued use of those types of names for sports teams, continues to demean, stereotype and negate a whole group of people.

I agree with the Brown/Native mascots thing. It's more than "PC", it's being aware of the genocide perpetuated on Native people in the United States <and Canada and Australia too, as a larger issue>, and how continued use of those types of names for sports teams, continues to demean, stereotype and negate a whole group of people.
I thought most teams pick names and mascots that bring positive, strong characteristics that their teams want to emulate. I mean, no team picks names like "The Losers" or "Couch Potatoes" or "Weaklings" or "Lazy Bums" or "Sloths". They pick strong names like "Patriots" or "Braves" or "Tigers" or "Angels" or "Bull Dogs" or "Cowboys" or "Vikings" or "Giants." How is that demeaning when they show that they want to be like the positive characteristics of their namesakes?

Based on what I've learned and what Native people have told me - it's demeaning because the the caricatures often accompanying the logos - are not accurate reflections of how various Native people actually look, - and First Nations people are saying "it's demeaning to me or to us" - sharing their experiences/truth just like d/Deaf people on here share their experiences with prejudice and discrimination, and don't like it when someone else replies- well, that didn't really happen; it doesn't really mean that; you're wrong-

it's also demeaning because a lot of times/often the various symbols and regalia depicted - either in the logos, or by the fans who are taking their cues from the team logos and business advertising - are religious and VERY SACRED and not meant to be shared outside a religious ceremony, outside a tribe, or in a "everyday" way.

it's also demeaning because it takes away power. White people have been in a position of power in the U.S. for a very long time. Even poor whites - have more privilege based on the fact they are perceived as white, and this country was founded on a basis of racism. People whose needs as a group/nation/entity have been ignored and decimated need to have a "voice" or sense of being as much participants in their own lives and inter-connections of others - as do the "majority" group. That includes having the power to say - no, this doesn't represent us, this is wrong or hurtful.

Not all Native people are or were "warriors/braves" whatever, or use/wear Headdresses...and there is more than just the simple idea of a "Strong fighter" in that mythology - there is the sense of <not MY sentiment personally> "noble savage", which is a racist statement - tied in with that idea of "warrior-ism".

For more info., check this link: http://www.mtv.com/news/1837578/why-you-should-not-wear-headdresses/

Based on what I've learned and what Native people have told me - it's demeaning because the the caricatures often accompanying the logos - are not accurate reflections of how various Native people actually look, - and First Nations people are saying "it's demeaning to me or to us" - sharing their experiences/truth just like d/Deaf people on here share their experiences with prejudice and discrimination, and don't like it when someone else replies- well, that didn't really happen; it doesn't really mean that; you're wrong-
I might have overlooked one but when I looked up teams that had "Indian"-related names, it appears that none of them are still using Indian-caracature mascots.

http://www.commdiginews.com/sports/the-35-official-mascots-of-major-league-baseball-teams-14119/

http://americanfootball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_mascots

it's also demeaning because a lot of times/often the various symbols and regalia depicted - either in the logos, or by the fans who are taking their cues from the team logos and business advertising - are religious and VERY SACRED and not meant to be shared outside a religious ceremony, outside a tribe, or in a "everyday" way.

it's also demeaning because it takes away power. White people have been in a position of power in the U.S. for a very long time. Even poor whites - have more privilege based on the fact they are perceived as white, and this country was founded on a basis of racism. People whose needs as a group/nation/entity have been ignored and decimated need to have a "voice" or sense of being as much participants in their own lives and inter-connections of others - as do the "majority" group. That includes having the power to say - no, this doesn't represent us, this is wrong or hurtful.
I thought sports teams use their mascots to represent their team, not the other way around. That is, the Miami Dolphins mascot represents the Miami team, not dolphin animals. The Pittsburgh Steelers mascot represents the Pittsburgh team, not steel workers. No mascots are expected to be accurate representations of anything.

Not all Native people are or were "warriors/braves" whatever, or use/wear Headdresses...and there is more than just the simple idea of a "Strong fighter" in that mythology - there is the sense of <not MY sentiment personally> "noble savage", which is a racist statement - tied in with that idea of "warrior-ism".
I don't think the mascot representation is supposed to be of all Native people but specifically just the warrior members. Same with Dallas Cowboys representation isn't supposed to be all cowboys but embody the cowboy spirit.

I don't have any skin in this game. I don't follow sports or support any teams, so they aren't a serious part of my life. I'm just curious about this.

Interesting. People wear items from religions and cultures not their own but they usually aren't criticized (at least in America where we have the First Amendment). Non-Christians wear crosses, non-Catholics wear crucifixes, non-Jews wear Stars of David, etc., as fashion statements rather than for spiritual meaning. People wear parts of military uniforms that they didn't earn, get tattoos of spiritual designs just for the look, do all kinds of sacrilegious things to Christmas, and use the names of Jesus and God in numerous profane ways without criticism.

I'm not saying that overlooking some makes it OK to overlook all. It's just interesting how that happens in society. Should we be sensitive to all or sensitive to none or sensitive to just some? :dunno:

I might have overlooked one but when I looked up teams that had "Indian"-related names, it appears that none of them are still using Indian-caracature mascots.

http://www.commdiginews.com/sports/the-35-official-mascots-of-major-league-baseball-teams-14119/

http://americanfootball.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_National_Football_League_mascots

I'm not saying that overlooking some makes it OK to overlook all. It's just interesting how that happens in society. Should we be sensitive to all or sensitive to none or sensitive to just some? :dunno:

Lots of First Nation from Canada and Also USA Indian reservations are sensitive to what the crowds were dressing up and used their false headdresses including their war paints. They seem to be mocking us doing this ridiculous outfits. We don't like this at all. This was no respect to our Native Culture.

It is like being audism to mock or pretend that the hearing people are signing just like the man in Africa and we get disgusted with the way they mocked us.

That is why we want all the Indian logos to be removed from the teams whether it is football, baseball, basketball and hockey that have or had the Indian logos. I am glad that Governor Brown wanted to remove the logos. :cool2:

Back