Credit Cards Now Come With a Chip Embedded

rockin'robin

Reaction score
You may have received a new credit card or debit card with a computer chip embedded in it in the mail recently. It's part of a nationwide shift by major card issuers to offer added security against fraud—and shift the liability from card issuers to merchants, if they do not upgrade to this technology by Oct. 1.

But will this new technology really help protect consumers and reduce the costs of fraud? In the U.S. alone, credit and debit card fraud costs were $16 billion last year, according to Javelin Research.

So card issuers are taking action to make it more difficult to counterfeit cards. By the Oct. 1 deadline, credit card companies and retailers will shift to "smart cards" using a new technology called EMV—which stands for Europay, MasterCard and Visa, the three companies that created the standard for processing payments. But not all companies will be able to comply by this date. And many consumers may have yet to activate their new EMV chip cards.

About 120 million Americans have already received the card though, and that number is expected to grow to 600 million by the end of the year, according to card comparison website CreditCards.com.

Making it harder to counterfeit

The microchip on your credit or debit card helps make it more difficult for fraudsters in two important ways. "It makes it harder to physically counterfeit the card and it creates a unique transaction code that's passed to the merchant every time you make a purchase with the card. So that means the merchant will have a lot less of your useable data and instead will have this unique transaction code," according to Matt Schulz, senior analyst at CreditCards.com.

Read more: Which Balance Should You Pay Off First?

Stealing a unique transaction code and using it for fraudulent purchases is like having an expired password: it won't do anyone any good. But while new chip cards can protect you from what's known as "card--present" fraud—where perpetrators are using physical counterfeit cards—the technology has yet address online fraud. That makes up an estimated 16 percent of total fraud losses of credit and debit cards.

Analysts predict that credit card fraud at brick-and-mortar retailers will fall after the introduction of chip-enabled cards. Still, online fraud is expected to rise, as more merchants gradually get on board with the new system. Research and consulting firm Aite Group estimates U.S. online card fraud will more than double to $6.4 billion from $3.1 billion between 2015 and 2018.

Dip instead of swipe

Upgrading terminals to read the chip cards can run $200 to $1,000 per device, according to the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.

For many small businesses, this could be a hefty expense, thus delaying the transition. And as of Oct. 1, if fraudulent activity occurs at a retailer that has yet to upgrade its system to accept chip technology, then the merchant—not the card issuer or payment processor—will be held liable.

Read More: Why Credit Card Debt is Getting Riskier

"It's really the driving force behind the move," Schulz said.

As for consumers, perhaps the biggest change will be the end of swiping. Instead, you'll dip your card into the terminals for each transaction—and may have to sign or enter a PIN to complete the purchase.

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/credit-cards-now-come-chip-embedded-n430556?cid=sm_fb

I don't swipe have mostly dipped I also been cloned

Most stores don't have the dip method set up yet they keep saying out of order on their new machines and to swipe. It's not cool but Why?

I have 2 credit cards with the chip but unfortunately most stores don't support it yet. The only store I've found was Target and that was really because they had their CC info hacked.

I have 2 credit cards with the chip but unfortunately most stores don't support it yet. The only store I've found was Target and that was really because they had their CC info hacked.

Walgreens, at least around me, uses the chip too. I think that was the first place I tried to swipe my new chipped card and was told to use the chip.

Yep Walgreen's has it. I think CVS does as well.

Next time I go to Walmart or Target will have to check if they use the chip now. I think both of my cards have chips now (for a while I had one with and one without the chip lol).

I have had mine for a couple of months now and have used it everywhere in my city......

Yep Walgreen's has it. I think CVS does as well.

Next time I go to Walmart or Target will have to check if they use the chip now. I think both of my cards have chips now (for a while I had one with and one without the chip lol).
Yep, just went to CVS today for my refills and it wont swipe, just dip.
I have 2 cards with chips, and before the chip I had one card info stolen and used in Florida...this was odd too... the same night it was stolen at a mobile gas pump, it was also used in florida at a mobil gas pump for over $100? My credit card caught it and reimbursed me, then it was used again??? So my card company cut it and issued a new card. Never an issue since and I hope to never have to deal with that again.

Yep, just went to CVS today for my refills and it wont swipe, just dip.
I have 2 cards with chips, and before the chip I had one card info stolen and used in Florida...this was odd too... the same night it was stolen at a mobile gas pump, it was also used in florida at a mobil gas pump for over $100? My credit card caught it and reimbursed me, then it was used again??? So my card company cut it and issued a new card. Never an issue since and I hope to never have to deal with that again.
That's really strange. Makes me wonder if the number was sent to someone in FL and they had a way to 'fake' a card...

I still have no idea how my info got swiped for someone to use on a UK shopping site online (3 purchases in excess of 200 bucks!). Thankfully I had fraud alerts on text and I could stop them. They voided them but I got stuck with the international fees :(. Bastards.

I also remember one time when I was driving from the west coast back to east coast with Dad- he tried to use his card somewhere in TX for gas. Got denied... come to find out that Mom had just used the same card in a store in our hometown (1 time zone over lol). Whoops. The CRS lady was no help- first time I saw my father so irritated in a long time lol.

Back