Deaf Apple Forum/Discussion

Oddball

Stay weird
Premium Member
Reaction score
Discuss it away!

I recently bought iMac through Apple (technically, I use my union discount program to purchase an iMac).

I recently downloaded HP printer, Microsoft 2011 for Mac, Adobe Reader X, CCleaner, and Adobe Flasher for now.

Should I download antivirus? Ad Malware?

If you are an Apple fanboys, please share it with us! :cool2:

Discuss it away!

I recently bought iMac through Apple (technically, I use my union discount program to purchase an iMac).

I recently downloaded HP printer, Microsoft 2011 for Mac, Adobe Reader X, CCleaner, and Adobe Flasher for now.

What is favorite browser for Mac? Sa

I got no anti virus malware in my Macbook pro in many years. I now use ClamXav like Malwarebytes. I got very few malware and cleaned up.

ClamXav is free anti-virus software but may donate money to freeware co.

You may read more info for different antivirus software for Mac.
The Best Mac Antivirus Software

What is your favorite browser for Mac? Safari? Google Chrome? Firefox?

Discuss it away!

You don't need Adobe Reader X. OSX already built-in PDF reader and open quick than crap Adobe reader. Rid of Adobe Reader. Also Adobe software are high risk and easy to get virus on Windows and not sure about OSX. I don't need CCleaners and I don't re-format on my Macbook for almost 4 years and still running smooth and faster unlike Windows. Rid of CCleaner.

I don't really need anti-virus because virus are VERY VERY RARE on OSX. IF you get virus then Apple will patch it right away to rid of virus. Anti-virus just useless and waste of memory and CPU on you iMac.

I noticed that you download software on OSX and don't mean they are same as Windows for virus, spyware, malware, etc for RISK.

Why use outdated Office 2011 for Mac? Did you know that you can download free Pages (Word),Numbers (Excel), Keynote (Powerpoint) for OSX since you just bought a brand new iMac? Just go to Apple app then type "pages", "numbers", and "Keynote" then you will find them and they are FREE. Also Apple Mail is better than Outlook.

I won't recommend to use download outdated software on new OSX because of memory leak, wasted usage on CPU stress, and virus risk.

Apple - Up-to-Date Program for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

7 years of OSX user here.

Last edited:
Is Adobe Flash as not good as Mac OS X? but some browsers require it for video.

I use https://www.openoffice.org (it's for Mac) It is similar as Microsoft Word, Excel, Spreadsheet etc) and it's free.

I use CCleaner to clean out unnecessary caches.

Never used antivirus, never had issues since I own iMac 7 years.

Last edited:
You don't need Adobe Reader X. OSX already built-in PDF reader and open quick than crap Adobe reader. Rid of Adobe Reader. Also Adobe software are high risk and easy to get virus on Windows and not sure about OSX. I don't need CCleaners and I don't re-format on my Macbook for almost 4 years and still running smooth and faster unlike Windows. Rid of CCleaner.

I don't really need anti-virus because virus are VERY VERY RARE on OSX. IF you get virus then Apple will patch it right away to ride of virus. Anti-virus just useless and waste of memory and CPU on you iMac.

I noticed that you download software on OSX and don't mean they are same as Windows for virus, spyware, malware, etc for RISK.

Why use outdated Office 2011 for Mac? Did you know that you can download free Pages (Word),Numbers (Excel), Keynote (Powerpoint) for OSX since you just bought a brand new iMac? Just go to Apple app then type "pages", "numbers", and "Keynote" then you will find them and they are FREE. Also Apple Mail is better than Outlook.

I won't recommend to use download outdated software on new OSX because of memory leak, wasted usage on CPU stress, and virus risk.

Apple - Up-to-Date Program for Pages, Numbers, and Keynote

7 years of OSX user here.

Hmm, interesting.

What is favorite browser for Mac? Sa

I got no anti virus malware in my Macbook pro in many years. I now use ClamXav like Malwarebytes. I got very few malware and cleaned up.

ClamXav is free anti-virus software but may donate money to freeware co.

You may read more info for different antivirus software for Mac.
The Best Mac Antivirus Software

What is your favorite browser for Mac? Safari? Google Chrome? Firefox?

I use Firefox all the time.

I use https://www.openoffice.org (it's for Mac) It is similar as Microsoft Word, Excel, Spreadsheet etc) and it's free.

I use CCleaner to clean out unnecessary caches.

Never used antivirus, never had issues since I own iMac 7 years.

I use CCleaner to clean out unnecessary caches. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash are sucks. It's okay to use Adobe Flash since it's require for video and html. HTML 5 will kill flash in the future. Why? Html 5 got less CPU stress and less risk than Flash.

Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash are sucks. It's okay to use Adobe Flash since it's require for video and html. HTML 5 will kill flash in the future. Why? Html 5 got less CPU stress and less risk than Flash.

Yes, I know about HTML 5. Apple never use Flash in all iOS devices. Battery drains quickly. I don't know when HTML 5 will be launched

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Yes, I know about HTML 5. Apple never use Flash in all iOS devices. Battery drains quickly. I don't know when HTML 5 will be launched

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

Like Highlands said, you kidding me? It has been around for the past few years already! You wont be able to see it yourself, it is very robust coding -especially in mobile revolution.

Discuss it away!

Ad malware? Anti virus? say what?

I don't have any of these at all. OSX doesn't need them. Windows does.

I use Firefox all the time.

Firefox? What's wrong with Safari? What about Google Chrome?

Safari user here and been a iMac user for 3 years and counting :cool2:

lol I don't use Adobe Flash anymore and use chrome which it running so well as every (any site without miss) video running quite nice via html5.

I wish I had oddball's brain. :D my laptop is all screwed up becasue i do not know how to take care of it. :o

Hi, I have to bump this.

My Motorola SB6141 modem was disconnected for some reason. I had to unplug both of modem and Netgear WDNR3700 router in order to reconnect. It was disconnected twice. Now, it is working now.

I saw the strange box on my iMac. Sorry, I don't recall the exact wording on the box. Only thing caught my attention.

"192.168.1.2 device is using wifi." What device does it mean? My iphone? My iphone has wifi symbol on it while my modem and router were disconnected, but eventually it went back to LTE symbol. Is it that point to my iphone? I really don't know.

I did call Optimum about disconnection. I was told that both modem and router are working fine so far. It was disconnected about 15 minutes ago. Representative said that it might be a router issue. Well, my router is 5 years old. I think I may upgrade to a brand new router, but wait and see if I get a frequent disconnections. My white modem is brand new (I bought it last March to replace my black Motorola modem SB6121 because it went kaput due to plugging issues.

Has it happened to you before? Please feedbacks. Thanks

Hi, I have to bump this.

My Motorola SB6141 modem was disconnected for some reason. I had to unplug both of modem and Netgear WDNR3700 router in order to reconnect. It was disconnected twice. Now, it is working now.

I saw the strange box on my iMac. Sorry, I don't recall the exact wording on the box. Only thing caught my attention.

"192.168.1.2 device is using wifi." What device does it mean? My iphone? My iphone has wifi symbol on it while my modem and router were disconnected, but eventually it went back to LTE symbol. Is it that point to my iphone? I really don't know.

I did call Optimum about disconnection. I was told that both modem and router are working fine so far. It was disconnected about 15 minutes ago. Representative said that it might be a router issue. Well, my router is 5 years old. I think I may upgrade to a brand new router, but wait and see if I get a frequent disconnections. My white modem is brand new (I bought it last March to replace my black Motorola modem SB6121 because it went kaput due to plugging issues.

Has it happened to you before? Please feedbacks. Thanks

Mostly routers WIFI got worn out around 3-6 years depend how much heavy you use. Time to replace the new router for you.

I had a D-Link router that was around 5 years old that cuts out occasionally, so I got a brand new Netgear WNDR4500 and still works great. Modem/Router usually wears out around 5 years of heavy usage including wifi.

The wifi comes from router... it sounds like your router is at the end of it's life and it's time to get new one.

I had RCA modem long time ago that was around 6 years old and kept cuts out which I called Comcast and said that the network is still fine so they replaced my modem with Motorola SB5120. No problems ever since. My modem is leased to Comcast so I get it replaced free.

Back