Student won't watch me interpret! What should I do?

BookTard

Reaction score
This is my first "official" interpreting position. 4th grade, mainstreamed student. He is new to the school, that is why I am starting in the middle of the year. Problem is, he won't watch me interpret. He has the mental capacity to understand what I'm telling him (especially if we work one on one), but he is WAY too distracted in the normal regular ed room. I'm afraid he is not going to learn what he needs to for the rest of the year... I don't know what to do...?

that's not your problem but you can address this to case manager or your superior.

Hmm... well even when I start telling him something (ex. get out your book, work on page 9, finish that then recess) I get halfway through and he looks away. He does it in a silly manner, not in a defiant "I'm not gonna look at you!" manner... but it's rude! I'm trying to do my job and help him.... but it's a waste of time and effort if he's not going to cooperate. Grrr! It's just frustrating... mostly I feel like a babysitter instead of an interpreter.

Hmm... well even when I start telling him something (ex. get out your book, work on page 9, finish that then recess) I get halfway through and he looks away. He does it in a silly manner, not in a defiant "I'm not gonna look at you!" manner... but it's rude! I'm trying to do my job and help him.... but it's a waste of time and effort if he's not going to cooperate. Grrr! It's just frustrating... mostly I feel like a babysitter instead of an interpreter.

exactly.

you should do your job as interpreter, not babysitter. that's his teacher's job. if he doesn't want cooperate, his teacher will take notice of it and take care of it and you will interpret what that teacher says and that's that.

Alright... thank you... just wasn't sure what exactly my roles are at this point in time... I mean, I know I'm the interpreter... but in an educational setting, other roles kind of get added since your the only one that can easily communicate with the student.

Alright... thank you... just wasn't sure what exactly my roles are at this point in time... I mean, I know I'm the interpreter... but in an educational setting, other roles kind of get added since your the only one that can easily communicate with the student.

understandable. you'll just have to try your best to remain professional and objective. if you want to do more than that... well then be a teacher :)

Simple answer from me. Just follow the description of your position. If it does not call for teaching, discipline whatever with kids, then don't

I believe that interpreter job is very simple. Translate from one language to another language. Nothing more, and nothing less. This includes relay calls as well.

I disagree about reporting to others if one client isn't paying attention. It is not interpreter job to do that, and it is unprofessional IMHO. Because interpreter were bound to ethic which is not to share information with anyone.

So, if you want to be professional interpreter? Simple rule is to follow code of ethics.

Yes and no. First part yes, and second part no. Its none of Interpreter business so therefore shouldn't address.

The only time interpreter can address is if there is misconduct /and or harassment directly to Interpreter. There is fine line in there. For example, if student made race remarks against teacher, interpreter is required to relay the message to the teacher, after that shut up. It is up to Teacher to discipline the student but can not use interpreter as witness. On other hand, if the student made a race remarks against Interpreter. Interpreter should report to their employer not teacher. This will remain professionalism.

that's not your problem but you can address this to case manager or your superior.

It's up to the teacher to maintain classroom discipline. If the deaf student isn't attending to the interpreter, it's the responsibility of the teacher to focus the student.

As interpreter, all you can do is make sure that you're clearly presenting the message. Logistically, you can check that you and the student are positioned in ways that are most conducive for the student's attention. That is, try to be in a line of sight that doesn't include undue distractions or bad lighting. Move around if necessary to keep both you and the teacher in the student's line of vision.

He's new to the school, mid-year? It's possible that he wasn't exposed to proper interpreting at his previous school. It might simply take a little while for the two of you to adjust to each other. Be patient. :)

Yes and no. First part yes, and second part no. Its none of Interpreter business so therefore shouldn't address.

interpreters should always ask their superior like "what should I do?" case for guidance especially for starters. their boss would most likely give same answer as what we're saying in here.

interpreters are human and it is always expected of them to have some concern and boundary can be blurry. their superior is there to offer advices.

The only time interpreter can address is if there is misconduct /and or harassment directly to Interpreter.
Interpreters can and must step in if there is violence or a dangerous situation involved. They are also school employees, and if they see misconduct when they aren't in the interpreting role they can take action or say something. For example, if between classes the interpreter is walking down the hall and observes students yelling and running, she can tell them to stop that. If she observes students smoking in the restroom, she can report them.

Not really, that would be conflict of interest in between the Interpreter agency and the provider (School, hospital, doctor, etc). Reason behind this is to make investigation easier if there is serious issues arisen. Plus, it is proper chain of communication. I learn a lot from 11 years working in corporation.

interpreters should always ask their superior like "what should I do?" case for guidance especially for starters. their boss would most likely give same answer as what we're saying in here.

interpreters are human and it is always expected of them to have some concern and boundary can be blurry. their superior is there to offer advices.

Interpreters can and must step in if there is violence or a dangerous situation involved. They are also school employees, and if they see misconduct when they aren't in the interpreting role they can take action or say something. For example, if between classes the interpreter is walking down the hall and observes students yelling and running, she can tell them to stop that. If she observes students smoking in the restroom, she can report them.

curious - what about interpreters hired as independent contractor or part of agency, not school employee?

"Superior" and "boss"--do you mean the school principal?

Not really, that would be conflict of interest in between the Interpreter agency and the provider (School, hospital, doctor, etc). Reason behind this is to make investigation easier if there is serious issues arisen. Plus, it is proper chain of communication. I learn a lot from 11 years working in corporation.

what?

11 years in corporation... then you should know that an employee CAN ask his boss or Human Resource if he felt situation/boundary is blurry.

curious - what about interpreters hired as independent contractor or part of agency, not school employee?
Since we're talking about elementary and secondary school students, the responsibilities would be the same as the staff terps. If you mean contractors as temporary subs, they wouldn't be involved in all the tasks that staff members do because they aren't there all the time.

You got it right. :) This would consider as "Outside of position".

Right, that is because it is within same company.

what?

11 years in corporation... then you should know that an employee CAN ask his boss or Human Resource if he felt situation/boundary is blurry.

Back